Buying my F6B this week! Flying in to ride back home. Questions... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying my F6B this week! Flying in to ride back home. Questions...

MEAT, if your are going to St. Augustine. I would look at I-81,I-66,us-17, to I-95. You will avoid the DC area and come out just north of Richmond, Va

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Here's what I would like to ask you. How was the process of buying a bike out of state? I see a lot of good deals, but wonder how much of a hassle it would be to do what you're doing. From prices here, it could be well worth a trip. Stupid things like: how did you pay, register and insure? I wouldn't expect a long answer, but am very curious. I never did that!
    wjduke, wanted to chime in with my experience. Bought my new 2013 F6B off eBay for 13.5k, ebay required $500 immediate payment. Dealer was in Waterloo, Iowa which is about 360 miles from my house.
    Sent the VIN to my insurance company and got coverage starting the day I picked it up. Drove my car up with a buddy, brought a cashier's check for the remainder, there was a $129 fee for documents or something, and rode it home. (had them double check the final drive level, thank you hondaf6b.com forums!)
    Had to pay my state sales tax when I got the plates. I've bought my last 3 bikes through Craigslist or eBay, nothing bad to say about either service.
    Toted my '05 Concours home in the back of my '89 S-10 from Kentucky, took a bus to get my ST1300 from Kansas City.
    I enjoy having some adventure tied to the purchase of motorcycles, it's a great starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    wjduke, wanted to chime in with my experience. Bought my new 2013 F6B off eBay for 13.5k, ebay required $500 immediate payment. Dealer was in Waterloo, Iowa which is about 360 miles from my house.
    Sent the VIN to my insurance company and got coverage starting the day I picked it up. Drove my car up with a buddy, brought a cashier's check for the remainder, there was a $129 fee for documents or something, and rode it home. (had them double check the final drive level, thank you hondaf6b.com forums!)
    Had to pay my state sales tax when I got the plates. I've bought my last 3 bikes through Craigslist or eBay, nothing bad to say about either service.
    Toted my '05 Concours home in the back of my '89 S-10 from Kentucky, took a bus to get my ST1300 from Kansas City.
    I enjoy having some adventure tied to the purchase of motorcycles, it's a great starting point.
    Forgive me I'm new

What is adjusting the final drive level?

Quote Originally Posted by M_E_A_T View Post
    Forgive me I'm new

What is adjusting the final drive level?
    There was an issue with some units getting shipped with insufficient oil in the final drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    More great info...thanks. In my older age, I'm up for an adventure or two. I know this is done all the time, but I had no clue where to start. Insuring and payment questions have been answered. Prices are definitely better away from here....this is something I'll consider for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Having just ridden from Connecticut to St Augustine and back last week for Biketoberfest, I will throw in my .02

I make the ride from CT to Fla every couple years and almost always take 84 to Scranton and run 81 down. As long as you are comfortable riding along with Big Trucks 81 will be a more scenic ride. I was an over the road driver many years ago so I am quite comfortable around them. But keep in mind the Trucks need to get a run at the big hills and will be hauling a$$ to get a run and then slowing down as the climb. Just try to stay out of their way as they are NOT just screwing with you it is what they need to do.

On the other hand,,, this time we came back up 95 the entire ride and had no issues. Very little construction, fairly smooth road surface and no traffic but less enjoyable ride.
    Not to Hijack...but I wanted to thank you for that post. I have a high regard for truckers and want to share the road with them as safetly as possible. They have a hard enough time w/o me getting an attitude about their driving. Thanks for the tips. Maybe we can start another thread with other observations.

OK thread hijack done, sorry.

Meat..

If you decide you're going to come near the I-40/US52 vicinity (Winston/Greensboro/High Point, NC), let me know. We'll hoist one...or three.

You've been luckier than I. Went to local dealer (who for the past several weeks has been eager to sell) today to finally make the sale and they told me to go away. (brake recall...although they steadfastly refused to tell me what the recall was...only that there was a recall) Apparently, didn't even want to talk sale.

Sounds like I am going to have to do the cross-country boogie, like you. What a PIA.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Update on this thread. I successfully made it from Lancaster, PA to Florida on Saturday and Sunday. My butt is super sore... my back feels fine (Which what I was worried would be killing me). I had about 3 hours straight of hard rain and 55 degree weather from Ft Chiswell, Virginia to Columbia, South Carolina on Sunday morning. That was not much fun.... I had rain gear but my torso ended up being soaked after 3 hours. I think that could be attributed to the stock windshield. I stopped for gas South of Columbia, took off all the rain gear a put my wet clothes in the saddlebag, and swapped out for some dry stuff. At that point in was almost 70 so it was warmed up enough to not have gloves and stuff. By the time I starte getting near Florida it was 88 degrees. So from the morning until the afternoon I went from Rainy and 50 to sunny and 88. It's hard to dress for such a large fluctuation in temperature.

Overall a great experience and a great route weather notwithstanding. Thanks for the tips guys.

Update on this thread. I successfully made it from Lancaster, PA to Florida on Saturday and Sunday. My butt is super sore... my back feels fine (Which what I was worried would be killing me). I had about 3 hours straight of hard rain and 55 degree weather from Ft Chiswell, Virginia to Columbia, South Carolina on Sunday morning. That was not much fun.... I had rain gear but my torso ended up being soaked after 3 hours. I think that could be attributed to the stock windshield. I stopped for gas South of Columbia, took off all the rain gear a put my wet clothes in the saddlebag, and swapped out for some dry stuff. At that point in was almost 70 so it was warmed up enough to not have gloves and stuff. By the time I starte getting near Florida it was 88 degrees. So from the morning until the afternoon I went from Rainy and 50 to sunny and 88. It's hard to dress for such a large fluctuation in temperature.

Overall a great experience and a great route weather notwithstanding. Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm guessing you're already thinking about replacing that stock windshield. I purchased my bike out of state and rode it home(only about 170 miles) and quickly missed the highway pegs from my previous bike.

First things added----Baggershield 11/19 inch convertible windshield, Kuryakyn Ergo III highway pegs, and a center stand. I've added a few other things since, but those 3 were a must.
    Enjoy your new ride!
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!