Do you miss not having a reverse gear? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you miss not having a reverse gear?

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    I've pretty much decided that I will be buying a new bike in the Spring, and the F6b is at the top of my list. I've tried to get myself excited about another bike as well, but after a demo ride on a sport tourer I'm just not sure I could enjoy that riding position for long rides at my age. I still haven't been able to set up a demo ride on the F6b but just the feel of it in the dealership (the one on the floor was already sold so they wouldn't let me take it out for a ride) was more than enticing. But the lack of the reverse gear on this 850 pound bike has me a bit nervous. I wonder how many of you with F6b's regret not getting the Goldwing for just that feature.
    As you speak about a sport tourer I can tell you I had one (ST1300) and now ride the F6b. I am 61 years old and just over 6 feet tall. I have a much easier time backing the F6b than the ST1300 because with the lower seat I get more torque with my legs. I really don't ever feel a need for reverse. By the way, you are correct in thinking the F6b would be more comfortable for longer rides. Putting forward pegs on the F6b added even more comfort.

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Can't miss what you never had. Wings are different than the B. I don't know why guys buy a B and then try to make it a Wing or else wish it was.
    If you've never had it then why would make that statement? A F6B w/ reverse is in no way a Wing.
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Other than the tail box and the larger windscreen, what makes the F6b different from a Goldwing? I'm not asking to make a point, but really wondering. I really hope to buy an F6b next spring; just sitting on one felt much different than I felt sitting on a Goldwing, but I wonder if that was fully due to the large windscreen on the Goldwing. Maybe I just need to try a demo ride on both bikes and see if I find much difference, and if I do, determine which one is for me. But I know I prefer to look over a windscreen rather than through it. I also know that the Goldwing would give me the reverse gear. And although price is not the only factor, it did occur to me that the $5K or so increase in price for the Goldwing seems to be primarily for the tail box and the reverse gear, which seems a bit steep.

After taking my 2013 F6B on several long distance rides (3-4,000 miles), I decided to trade it off and get a Full Wing. For the kind of riding I do, it's nice to have reverse, navigation, heated seats and grips, cruise control, adjustable screen, foot warmers, adjustable headlight and a better stereo not to mention a lot of added storage space that is lockable with the push of a button. Buying a leftover 2014 came with a $6,000.00 discount too. I liked the B just fine but it can't really be compared to a GL1800 for the type of riding I do most often.

Yup.. .big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    After taking my 2013 F6B on several long distance rides (3-4,000 miles), I decided to trade it off and get a Full Wing. For the kind of riding I do, it's nice to have reverse, navigation, heated seats and grips, cruise control, adjustable screen, foot warmers, adjustable headlight and a better stereo not to mention a lot of added storage space that is lockable with the push of a button. Buying a leftover 2014 came with a $6,000.00 discount too. I liked the B just fine but it can't really be compared to a GL1800 for the type of riding I do most often.

A lot of difference between a Goldwing and the F6B!
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Quote Originally Posted by SmallPasture View Post
    If you've never had it then why would make that statement? A F6B w/ reverse is in no way a Wing.
    An F6B is much lighter---hence it has better performance. I think the drive train and most everything else is the same, so some changes are necessary.

Question:How do you shave off weight?????
    Answer: Take off items that are on a Goldwing such as cruise, reverse, trunk, make a smaller lighter seat, etc.....Along with not having all those items, it also made it a bike I could afford!

My point is that the B is a different style of bike than the Wing. It is made to be lighter and sportier and not a full luxury tour model--and cheaper. Buying a B and then adding reverse, cruise, bigger seat, trunk, barn door windshield, etc... is kinda like making it into a wing---which I cannot afford.

Guys do it and since it is their bike and their money it is their choice. If you want a bike with reverse---then buy one. The B don't come with one. It is one of the things that make an F6B an F6B and not a Goldwing. and I wanted an F6B.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    Other than the tail box and the larger windscreen, what makes the F6b different from a Goldwing? I'm not asking to make a point, but really wondering. I really hope to buy an F6b next spring; just sitting on one felt much different than I felt sitting on a Goldwing, but I wonder if that was fully due to the large windscreen on the Goldwing. Maybe I just need to try a demo ride on both bikes and see if I find much difference, and if I do, determine which one is for me. But I know I prefer to look over a windscreen rather than through it. I also know that the Goldwing would give me the reverse gear. And although price is not the only factor, it did occur to me that the $5K or so increase in price for the Goldwing seems to be primarily for the tail box and the reverse gear, which seems a bit steep.

Other major differences, in my mind, between the F6B and the full Wing are the stock seat and exhaust system.

The seat on the F6B is much larger, a bit more "slippery," and without as much of a defined low backrest to separate the driver and passenger seat. The Goldwing seat is quite a bit smaller, softer, and "form-fitting" with a pronounced low backrest. Depending on your body size/time, one or the other will likely fit you much better. For larger/taller riders, the F6B seat is better, and for shorter, smaller people (I'm 5'9", 165 lbs, with a 32-inch inseam) the Goldwing seat fits perfectly. Of course, there are after market options to get just the right seat comfort on the F6B, so I'm only talking about the stock seat setup.

The exhaust system on the full Wing is quite a bit quieter than the one on the F6B (especially the 2015 model). Many people prefer the "throatier" exhaust note of the F6B, but I found for myself, I actually prefer the more muted sound of the full Wing pipes. I'm not as much into the sportiness factor as I am into the long-distance comfort factor (I drive a Lexus car instead of an BMW for basically the same reason).

The windshield can/should be changed out on either of the bikes, in my opinion. I also like to look over the shield, and have found the WindBender to be a great option for either bike. I've owned several full Wings and a 2015 F6B...

Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    One other point I forgot to mention: Great deals can be had on either bike, from my experience, and there is no where near $5000 difference in price between the two. I paid a total of $19,300 for my 2015 F6B Deluxe in March of 2015 (MSRP was $23,500 I think). I sold that one 2 months later and was able to negotiate a new 2015 Full Wing (Audio Comfort model) for $20,200 (sticker price on that one was $23,999 I think). So the difference for me was only $900, and I gained the reverse gear, large trunk/backrest, better audio system, heated seat, etc. I basically used the threat of getting one at Honda of Russellville to "inspire" my local dealer to give me a great price both times.