Do you miss not having a reverse gear? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss not having a reverse gear?

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    If I did have one, It would have to make the "beep-beep-beep" noise like the big trucks do...
    Oh hell yeah!! Beep , Beep , Beep move over. Big B is backing up!!!

Reverse gear

Never had one, never have needed one and being an old truck driver was totally amazed that this was the first bike I have ever had that you could back up just using the mirrors. I don't have to crank my old neck around to back it into the garage, just very pleased with every aspect of this bike.

I think the only time you would really need it is if your pulling a trailer. I had it on my 02 Wing and don't remember ever using it except to show people how cool it was to have it. Don't miss it at all on my F6.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    I think the only time you would really need it is if your pulling a trailer. I had it on my 02 Wing and don't remember ever using it except to show people how cool it was to have it. Don't miss it at all on my F6.
    Yes I used it often while pulling my trailer hardly ever with out the trailer. I also used it as a parking brake. My driveway is on a slant and when I first got my Wing I pulled it out of the garage. While I was putting on my helmet and coat the bike was idling and it rolled off the kickstand. I found if you left the bike in neutral and engaged the reverse button it couldn't do that while it warmed up and I got ready to go. Kind of an expensive parking brake.

The only time I could definitely have used it was when I parked in some particularly loose gravel and the bike just bogged. Had to get off and pull it back by the bars. Discovered that I was so nervous about standing the bike all the way up (for fear it would tip to the other side) that I let it lean against me while I pulled it back. Mistake. Tilted too far, and flopped down. A reverse gear would probably have been able to pull the bike out nicely.

In the end, like others have said, just be mindful where you park. Even slight negative inclines are manageable, doesn't have to be perfectly flat.

One thing I avoid religiously: parking spots with gutters behind them. Like this one: http://bwengr.com/gallery/grading-an...arking-lot.JPG I've gotten a bit stuck in that business before.

I have never owned a bike with a reverse gear, but if the bike would have came with one I would use it if necessary.

Had it on my LT and used it a few times, but as others have said:
    - watch where you park.
    - not to difficult to walk back while on the saddle (I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam).
    - don't really miss it.
    USN Retired
    IBA # 37743
    2013 F6B Deluxe "Big Red"
    2015 F6B Blue (Hers)
    Cage - 2006 SLK 280
    Previous Rides: 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2006 VTX 1300R,1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, countless dirt bikes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I miss it!

I've had a 97' & 07' full wing and loved the reverse capabilities! You don't have to be picky about parking! Plus being on the short stature side it was a blessing!

I miss it even more now when my darling wife an I pull into a place and she parks her Spyder where ever the hell she wants to and I have to hunt!
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Rode smaller Hondas, Harley's, and Victorys before the B

Can't miss what you never had. Wings are different than the B. I don't know why guys buy a B and then try to make it a Wing or else wish it was.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Triking the F6B with out reverse puts a premium on parking planning.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!