Best stereo upgrade options - Page 16
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    All will fit except the UM 651
    All require trimming.
    The MM are the premium speaker.
    They come both as individual components or with the tweeter mounted with the woofer. Both have separate crossovers to mount.
    The DB are good. DXI great, MM exceptional
    MM are hardest to install.

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    All will fit except the UM 651
    All require trimming.
    The MM are the premium speaker.
    They come both as individual components or with the tweeter mounted with the woofer. Both have separate crossovers to mount.
    The DB are good. DXI great, MM exceptional
    MM are hardest to install.

J
    According to Polk, all are Marine rated. The UM are made specifically for boats and wet enviornments. They have the grill and basket as one piece.
    I'm replacing my DXI 651 Polks with a pair of MM 651, today.

I have a Polk PA D2000.2 amp. It's certified at 100 watts per channel RMS and 200 bridged. Very good amp.
    The MM 651 also are rated for 100 watts per channel. RMS. They are a perfectly matched combo. The amp still has power for additional speakers or a sub woofer.

The MM 6501 which I don't have, are component speakers and have appx 50 watt higher RMS and Peak power rating along with adjustable crossovers.
    I didn't want to find places to mount the tweeter, therefore I chose the MM 651.

Good luck in your choice.
    Back to my project or as the wife says, obsession....
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

According to Polk, all are Marine rated. The UM are made specifically for boats and wet enviornments. They have the grill and basket as one piece.

I have a Polk PA D2000.2 amp. It's certified at 100 watts per channel RMS and 200 bridged. Very good amp.
    The MM 651 also are rated for 100 watts per channel. RMS. They are a perfectly matched combo. The amp still has power for additional speakers or a sub woofer.

The MM 6501 which I don't have, are component speakers and have appx 50 watt higher RMS and Peak power rating along with adjustable crossovers.
    I didn't want to find places to mount the tweeter, therefore I chose the MM 651.

J
    to be fair, I have priorities switch so I have not been able to mount these yet. I have templates to cut them and will start on it this week. the tweeters I fit where the stock tweeters go, but you have to destory the housing they are in and trim the stock cover to fit. they fit nicely and sound great though.

J
    This is an older pic, but I mounted the tweeters right over where the OEM tweeters were. Some put them in the OEM locations for the flush look. (Since the pic was taken , I changed out the 5.25" woofers for the 6.5" and added the Clarion head unit.)
    Speaker tweeter.jpg
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

as far as the amp, this is the smallest high output box with great specs is the mvp4. I have not looked at the amp Jim mentioned above, it is likely better specs, higher output.. this one fit the wallet and killer sound.

http://www.amazon.com/NVX-MVPA4-4-Ch.../dp/B00H2SFQXE

as far as the amp, this is the smallest high output box with great specs is the mvp4. I have not looked at the amp Jim mentioned above, it is likely better specs, higher output.. this one fit the wallet and killer sound.

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post

That is the amp I used to power the front Polks and MM components and the JL sub in the back. Anyone that was at the rally can testify how effective it is. The ratings are actually very conservative as bench testing by others has shown it far surpasses it's rated performance. I've been pretty impressed with it's performance. My Valkyrie has a pretty potent Kenwood amp that is also very good. It's hard to do a real listening comparison though between the two as they are powering different speakers. The Kenwood is powering 4) 5.25" and 2) 6.5" Kickers.

J

Macht up one MM 651 today, what a job. Lots of surgical trimming required to make the shelter fit correctly.

I did test fire it along side of the Polk DXI 651. First of all the volume is deafening 10 ft from the bike set at 15. Above that can be heard by my neighbor over a block away. What's cool about Polk is they don't distort at high volume. Ok, the MM have a bit better bass and somewhat warmer sound than the DXI. The DXI have an in your face
    sound which can be made to your liking with bass, treble and amp controls. Anyway, the MM 's are a 10 and the DXI
    are pretty darn good too and much easier to install.
    My Polk PA D 2002.2 amp drives them both perfectly.

Footnote; The smaller amp Jimmie used does spec out very well for its size, but wasn't available when I was gunning for the black bike amp.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

I've put many hours into trying to install the Polk MM6501s. I finally got something that I was really happy with, until i did a test run of the speakers. They sound like they are farting instead of solid bass. they aren't bottoming out, I tried sealing the enclosure and held them as tighly against the frame with no improvement. I'm not sure if I have defective speakers or what to do. After putting all this time into it and finding the fit to be insane, I'm deflated. I'm not sure what to do next.

-R

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    I've put many hours into trying to install the Polk MM6501s. I finally got something that I was really happy with, until i did a test run of the speakers. They sound like they are farting instead of solid bass. they aren't bottoming out, I tried sealing the enclosure and held them as tighly against the frame with no improvement. I'm not sure if I have defective speakers or what to do. After putting all this time into it and finding the fit to be insane, I'm deflated. I'm not sure what to do next.

-R
    I had a heck of a time with mine as well. I'm not sure it was hours, but it was a trial in patience. I had to shave quite a bit of the frame away, being careful to leave enough space where the woofer surround is adhered to the frame. Then there is the depth of basket, that even with the small neodymium magnet, required a spacer , plus I used a rubber gasket material to seal both the speaker side and the spacer side. Then there was the screws, which used some longer stainless screws. The 5.25" were definitely an easier fit. They sound awesome though. Not sure why yours are not sounding right. Mine are powered by an different amp, and I was sure to get a good seal on the speakers. Of course, while the speakers do sound good, they are definitely enhanced by the subwoofer.