Need advice on best heel toe shifter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on best heel toe shifter

Need advice on best heel toe shifter

need some advice from those who have... or had....a Kuryakyn 4039 heel toe shifter lever in combo with the Kuryakyn 4328 (or black) comfort drop mounts with Kuryakyn miniboard pegs...here's why

about 2 months ago, I ruptured FHL tendon in my left big toe...now, even after rehab, I can't slip left foot/boot under stock F6b shift lever to shift up through gears without pain.....not that it was an easy thing to do BEFORE I injured the toe....but....is very painful to shift up now, especially from first to second gear....

I have tried different shoes/boots to no avail....I currently have Kuryakyn miniboard pegs with the 3/4 inch comfort mounts..which are very comfortable and don't want to go full floorboards with heel toe shifter route....

Would be very thankful if anyone out there with Kuryakyn 4039 or other similar heel toe shifter would jump in to give advice on fit, problems, etc.....Thanks

Shaker

heel toe shifter

Quote Originally Posted by sshake1905 View Post
    need some advice from those who have... or had....a Kuryakyn 4039 heel toe shifter lever in combo with the Kuryakyn 4328 (or black) comfort drop mounts with Kuryakyn miniboard pegs...here's why

about 2 months ago, I ruptured FHL tendon in my left big toe...now, even after rehab, I can't slip left foot/boot under stock F6b shift lever to shift up through gears without pain.....not that it was an easy thing to do BEFORE I injured the toe....but....is very painful to shift up now, especially from first to second gear....

I have tried different shoes/boots to no avail....I currently have Kuryakyn miniboard pegs with the 3/4 inch comfort mounts..which are very comfortable and don't want to go full floorboards with heel toe shifter route....

Would be very thankful if anyone out there with Kuryakyn 4039 or other similar heel toe shifter would jump in to give advice on fit, problems, etc.....Thanks

Shaker

I just put the Kuryakyn heel toe shifter on my bike and also have the mini boards,works and looks great no problems at all

Heel Toe / Floorboards

I purchased these from another member a few months ago (I believe he was selling his F6 and took all of the goodies off before he sold it?) and just never got around to doing anything with them. If you're interested in giving them a try I would let them go for $200. (which is what I paid for them)

Attachment 17443

I hate to bring bad news

"Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The secret to the heel - toe shifter is not to rest your foot on the shift lever, rest it on the floor board. Just another part of keeping the mind in the game.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post

Interesting. I have heard rumors of this before, but I could never find anything that said for sure that the transmission issues were caused by using a heel / toe shifter. Assuming that it is indeed the cause… does anyone know exactly what the issue is? I'm NOT an engineer, but to me isn't the heel / toe shifter simply a mechanical device that is doing the same thing that your toe would be doing with the normal setup?

Quote Originally Posted by No Handle Sam View Post
    Interesting. I have heard rumors of this before, but I could never find anything that said for sure that the transmission issues were caused by using a heel / toe shifter. Assuming that it is indeed the cause… does anyone know exactly what the issue is? I'm NOT an engineer, but to me isn't the heel / toe shifter simply a mechanical device that is doing the same thing that your toe would be doing with the normal setup?
    After looking into the link for the old post I saw this one… http://www.justwings.com/Cause.html

Thanks No Handle Sam

I do really appreciate the link you found and posted on your last entry.....It is great to read some technical information and data...complete with reasoning based on years of experience from some one in the business of working on Honda goldwing trannies on a daily basis....

I have also researched this F6B forum and other Goldwing forums that contain entries of many people that have had heel toe shifters for thousands of miles with no problems....and fewer people that have had problems with the same....as usually, especially with any thing mechanical, different experiences for different people...

I do know one thing for sure....if it comes down to painful upshifting with my left toe....I will not hestitate to install the Kuryakyn heel toe shifter...and do what I must to adjust to it ....versus the possiblility of operating my bike in constant pain...

Don't really have a choice......if ya know what I mean... Thanks again for the informative link..

I do really appreciate the link you found and posted on your last entry.....It is great to read some technical information and data...complete with reasoning based on years of experience from some one in the business of working on Honda goldwing trannies on a daily basis....

I have also researched this F6B forum and other Goldwing forums that contain entries of many people that have had heel toe shifters for thousands of miles with no problems....and fewer people that have had problems with the same....as usually, especially with any thing mechanical, different experiences for different people...

I do know one thing for sure....if it comes down to painful upshifting with my left toe....I will not hestitate to install the Kuryakyn heel toe shifter...and do what I must to adjust to it ....versus the possiblility of operating my bike in constant pain...

Don't really have a choice......if ya know what I mean... Thanks again for the informative link..
    And in a nut shell that is it my friend

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Shaker
    Hey Shake,
    I did not read this entire thread so I apologize if I've missed any developments. I've got a Kury h/t shifter that I only used for 30mi or so I could sell to you. PM me or I'll check here for a reply if you're interested. Thanks!