Best GPS app that stores maps on the phone

Thread: Best GPS app that stores maps on the phone

Best GPS app that stores maps on the phone

Can anyone recommend a GPS app they bought that doesn't use data but stores the maps locally? If I could find a good one (I don't have unlimited data and with 4 iphones on my VERIZON bill I go broke each month) that doesn't use data, or uses very little, I might just buy a waterproof phone case instead.

Thanks, as always, appreciate the responses.

Thanks...do you use this?

Thanks. Can you give me some feedback on this app? How does the Cached maps work? Does it work off of a screenshot? Does it give you the moving arrow to show you were you are going in cached mode? Is it a pain in the neck? Just trying to figure out if I"d be happy with this or have to splurge for a motorcycle GPS. Thanks.

Nothing from nothing I searched the copilot app and it received one of the lowest scores. They nickel and dime you! See for yourself

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/offline-gps-apps/
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    Nothing from nothing I searched the copilot app and it received one of the lowest scores. They nickel and dime you! See for yourself

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/offline-gps-apps/
    The base version is free. If you don't want the add ons, it stays free. It's a useable app that loads all of the maps onto your phone or tablet. It allows you to create routes with multiple waypoints. It shows you where you are, moves the map as you move, let's you calculate distance and time estimates for routes. The interface is a little clunky, but I have yet to find a GPS interface that isn't.

I tend to do some fairly intensive mapping and I don't want to hang my phone on the handlebars, so I chose to buy a Garmin Zumo. I keep GPS Copilot as a backup and it does fine in that regard.

It depends on what you're after, I guess. If you live and ride in the city, want traffic updates, audio directions, extensive POI, etc., it probably isn't for you. If you want a basic GPS that will map your location and let you build routes with multiple waypoints, it works just fine.

I read that review as well. It seemed to me that the reviewers were more focused on the whiz-bang features of the apps rather than basic functioning.

Bottom line, it's free. Download it, see what you think. If you don't like it, delete it and spring for a standalone GPS. What've you got to lose?

GPS apps

Hi,

Yeah the reviews point out some glaring holes. One hopes they read these and will address 'em.
    It's hard for me to see the business case of going up against Google, Apple, etc even (much smaller) Garmin, on the single feature of 'maps stored on device'. Tough business model over time.

One feature I would like to see in these types of apps would be a way to ramp down the battery consumption. It's a well known fact that polling GPS consumes lots of juice. On my BMW, running Rever to track my ride, my iPhone continued to lose power while on the charger. Ugly so i had to only use the app selectively. Haven't had a chance to try it on my F6B.

So feature suggestion: have a setting to dial back the polling rate and thereby extend my battery life. I really don't need resolution down to 10-20 feet.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pdxstriper View Post
    Hi,

Yeah the reviews point out some glaring holes. One hopes they read these and will address 'em.
    It's hard for me to see the business case of going up against Google, Apple, etc even (much smaller) Garmin, on the single feature of 'maps stored on device'. Tough business model over time.

One feature I would like to see in these types of apps would be a way to ramp down the battery consumption. It's a well known fact that polling GPS consumes lots of juice. On my BMW, running Rever to track my ride, my iPhone continued to lose power while on the charger. Ugly so i had to only use the app selectively. Haven't had a chance to try it on my F6B.

So feature suggestion: have a setting to dial back the polling rate and thereby extend my battery life. I really don't need resolution down to 10-20 feet.

Pete
    I agree, the phone-based gps's (stand-alone or using cellular data) are battery hogs.

Downloaded It

I downloaded the free version and found that the map is not moving as I move. The arrow does, but once it hits the edge of the phone it disappears. I"ll have to check the settings and see if it's something I missed. I'll try it for a while and keep it as a backup. May spring for a zumo with permanent power source as I love to use GPS while riding. Not only do I not get lost, but it helps me plan my approached for turns by seeing which way the road goes.

Greatly appreciate all the responses....that's what makes this forum so great!