I dropped the f6b starship today.

Thread: I dropped the f6b starship today.

I dropped the f6b starship today.

I dropped the f6b starship today doing low speed manuevers in a commuter parking lot that is empty on week-ends. Anyway I have the Kuryakyn ergo pegs with the long extensions and the weight of the bike pushed it into the valve cover. It only caused a minor nick in the valve cover but I'm sure had the bike gone down with any force it would have been serious. Needless to say they come off tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your drop, xgringo...but good on you for practicing low speed maneuvers. I could use some practice on that myself. I do it occasionally but not nearly enough.

Was it the Ergo IIIs by chance with the long right angle arm that is spring loaded and pivots that you had on the bike?
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    Was it the Ergo IIIs by chance with the long right angle arm that is spring loaded and pivots that you had on the bike?
    Hi Wiggy!!
    It was these.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4056-...=Kuryakyn+ergo

You know... I do worry about the Kuryakyn Ergo 3 arms doing the same thing. as what has happened with the Aero flip out pegs; to the valve covers as well.

The Kuryakyn Ergo 3 arms are clamped to the lower engine guard bar; and I could just envision a hard fall possibly breaking that clamping force and pushing the whole assembly up into the valve cover.

So.. I try to make sure I don't drop my F6B in the manner that this could happen. Anytime you drop a bike... you're going to sustain some damage (unless you're lucky)...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    You know... I do worry about the Kuryakyn Ergo 3 arms doing the same thing. as what has happened with the Aero flip out pegs; to the valve covers as well.

The Kuryakyn Ergo 3 arms are clamped to the lower engine guard bar; and I could just envision a hard fall possibly breaking that clamping force and pushing the whole assembly up into the valve cover.

So.. I try to make sure I don't drop my F6B in the manner that this could happen. Anytime you drop a bike... you're going to sustain some damage (unless you're lucky)...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE, but my understanding is that the Rivcos damage potential is only when they are open??IE in the closed position they will not damage the valve cover.

A couple of years ago I attended a rider course put on by OHP. At the time, I had a 2012 Wing and was worried about a drop during the slow speed maneuvers. I purchased some 1" heater hose to cover the tip over bars front and rear. It took a little time to cut and fit but it offers some heavy duty protection for under $10. The hoses were secured using several zip ties. Once cut, the pieces are very easy to remove and install when needed. I still have them so I slipped the front 2 pieces on the F6B to give you an idea.

Attachment 17512

Attachment 17511

Attachment 17513

Attachment 17514

Good thinking Okf6b.
    Sorry to hear about the drop though. Anytime I hear or see a bike on it's side I'm disturbed.
    Good idea though practicing low speed maneuvers. Seems like the bike is alright though(?)

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE, but my understanding is that the Rivcos damage potential is only when they are open??IE in the closed position they will not damage the valve cover.
    Yes. I believe the potential for damage to the valve covers; is when the Rivco highway pegs are in the deployed position.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Correct.....they don't touch when closed....don't ask how I know this.

shooter
    Once this big b...h gets over too far on you , it can't be saved. Good for you practicing your slow speed maneuvers.