New to the group, CB - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the group, CB

Pete
    only thing i have found so far is the pins for the 34 connector at Newark. I can't even find the 110/2.8 in bulk

Bike 44

Ground!! Try running a ground straight from the batt to the radio case and see if that will reduce the noise. GW are notorious for bad grounding at the frame and it's a pain to get to. Mine is quite for now.

Steve

Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyN View Post
    Pete
    only thing i have found so far is the pins for the 34 connector at Newark. I can't even find the 110/2.8 in bulk

Steve

Nerd
    I got pins for most things just been harvesting from some cables for our F6B CB kit for that one connection to the radio we have plug and play for the 10 pin etc
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyN View Post

Bike 44

Ground!! Try running a ground straight from the batt to the radio case and see if that will reduce the noise. GW are notorious for bad grounding at the frame and it's a pain to get to. Mine is quite for now.

Steve

Nerd
    Good suggestion. Thanks. I'd read the rear frame ground was under the fuel tank in a far, far away place.

I'll strip some coax shield to make a flat braid strap and bond the B- to the radio/antenna base.

For giggles turn the AM to 630 KHz while underway and listen to the Aliens speak. Maybe SETI sourced. Sounds on the road like ignition now, or possibly injectors. Aircraft band doesn't catch it. Varies with rpm and load. Doesn't sound like typical alternator whine, more of a buzzing. Resistor plugs so maybe the wires aren't suppressed.

Edit: Ran my AM portable with RF sniffer antenna near the heads while running. OK, most of the pulse noise is coming from the heads (likely plugs?, maybe injectors) and some high freq buzz is emanating from the left fuse box/alternator area. Will pull the plugs tomorrow, confirm they're resistor plugs and measure the resistance. Then find the alternative spark plug (NKG or Denso) and measure that. If they're different change them out and see what happens to the RF hash.

I'll figure it out eventually. Best way to improve reception is to lower the noise floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    OK....What language are you guys speaking ???
    Radio talk. Think pocket protectors, thick glasses, rolled up pant cuffs and suspenders, and in the time, slide rules or slip sticks hung from the hip.

Just trying to get the F6B radio to hear better, and there's static coming from some onboard Alien source. Maybe a group Exorcism is called for.

For those interested in improving CB and AM reception and performance, and possibly using ham radio on their motorcycle (I had one once), here's a comprehensive link that deals with the subject well: http://www.k0bg.com