Tire selection question

Thread: Tire selection question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    that is a hell of a good looking tire an a damn good price too.
    Looks like it will grip harder than a hooker with a $100 tip

This is the tire I am currently running, check my signature for more information. I sure would like to find more, but it seems tirerack is sold out!!

It is the best handling runflat I've found. It is only 22 pounds where the Alpin was 25. The bad news, I don't believe it will have the long life that the Alpin is noted for.
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128

dI have yet to order the SnowControl...but I have 16,400 miles on my Primacy and will maybe get another 2-3K... What kind of miles is everyone
    else getting ?

Mostly one up, some with a trailer, running mostly 36*...have recently moved to 32* to get so more miles out of the tire,...the center wear bar is gone !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

OK....now that you guys have my full attention on this subject.....I found this tire on TireRack....anybody have pro's and con's on this one??
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...wall=Blackwall

Looks very nice !!!! Maybe a little square.... Why not ?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I ran a C/T on my FJR up until I sold it. Now riding a F6B and am interested in the darkside again. One question: Why all the interest in a snow tire? Usually snow tires get the least amount of tread life compared to an all season tire.

Someone enlightin' me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam7071 View Post
    I ran a C/T on my FJR up until I sold it. Now riding a F6B and am interested in the darkside again. One question: Why all the interest in a snow tire? Usually snow tires get the least amount of tread life compared to an all season tire.

Someone enlightin' me.
    I'm no darksider, but I'm in the tire business. I'm with you on this question, especially the Blizzak...soft as butter, and was mentioned earlier. I think it's the rounded edges instead of squared off ones like you see. The tread design matters too. You need the sipes on the edges to be in the same direction.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Dark Side Tire Misconception

With numerous miles under my a$$ on CT's I'll share a observation about CT Tire Roundness! Unlike a MT which simply lays over due to its rounded radius/profile with little resistance, a regular radial car tire compresses the side wall and causes the tire to "squat" when cornering! This "squating action" eliminates any wear except to the actual thread face. Those who are Dark Siders can confirm this by simply inspecting their thread wear. The mold casting nubs on the sidewalls show no signs of wear. I'm attaching some pics of my single ply side wall General G-Max which is worth a thousand words when trying to explain CT thread wear.

DSC_0009.jpg

The above tire delivered 30,300 miles of wear before being replaced with another G-Max. A close observation/inspection of the tire reveal exactly what I've stated. There is absolutely no sign of wear to the sidewall

DSC_0001.jpg

This observation is for Non-Run Flat tires, as I have no experience with Run-Flats.