Tire selection question - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tire selection question

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Doing a search of Discount Tire Direct produced no less than five 195/55-R16 tires which could be used on our 6's. That list includes the G-Max and Blizzak in addition to the Yokohama Avid ENVigor, Michelin Pilot Sport and Bridgestone Potenza RE960 which is rated to 168 MPH. A mix of non and run flat tires having speeding ratings from 118MPH to 168MPH. There appears to be no shortage of candidate tires for Dark Siding
    I bought and installed the Bridgestone Potenza RF and it is a tight fit to even get it on the bike, had to remove the left side muffler and fiddle with it trying to get it past the fender and the brake rotor. Went and rode it for awhile yesterday and other than following every groove in the road you could not tell it had a CT on it. I was told by another member that the air pressure is the key to finding the "sweet spot" with a run flat tire. I'm currently running 42 psi and was told to try 28-30, anybody want to confirm that??
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Stiff Sidewall Lower Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    I bought and installed the Bridgestone Potenza RF and it is a tight fit to even get it on the bike, had to remove the left side muffler and fiddle with it trying to get it past the fender and the brake rotor. Went and rode it for awhile yesterday and other than following every groove in the road you could not tell it had a CT on it. I was told by another member that the air pressure is the key to finding the "sweet spot" with a run flat tire. I'm currently running 42 psi and was told to try 28-30, anybody want to confirm that??
    Most if not all Run Flats have a stiff multi-ply side wall! That said you may find the "sweet spot" for this tire in the 30/34PSI range! IMHO 42PSI seems extremely high for a RF

P.S. Hope you deflated the tire before trying to install it! Leaning the bike on its side and placing a 8" pie tin on the lugs does wonders for inserting the tire

For what it's worth....32lbs in my Kumho run flat.... just over 11,000 mils on it and a long way to go. At 32 I get a nice ride and plenty of grip while scraping pegs in the turns..

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Guys , I just got the word from my tire distributor. The Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP in 195/55-16 has been discontinued by Michelin. My distributor doesn't have any in the system left over. You might find a stray here or there.

This might be an alternative to the Michelin ......

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....FTV2&tab=Specs

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

Good Find

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

that is a hell of a good looking tire an a damn good price too.
    Looks like it will grip harder than a hooker with a $100 tip

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Cool

Great deal...I took notes...my next tire !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    that is a hell of a good looking tire an a damn good price too.
    Looks like it will grip harder than a hooker with a $100 tip

This is the tire I am currently running, check my signature for more information. I sure would like to find more, but it seems tirerack is sold out!!

It is the best handling runflat I've found. It is only 22 pounds where the Alpin was 25. The bad news, I don't believe it will have the long life that the Alpin is noted for.
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128

dI have yet to order the SnowControl...but I have 16,400 miles on my Primacy and will maybe get another 2-3K... What kind of miles is everyone
    else getting ?

Mostly one up, some with a trailer, running mostly 36*...have recently moved to 32* to get so more miles out of the tire,...the center wear bar is gone !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

OK....now that you guys have my full attention on this subject.....I found this tire on TireRack....anybody have pro's and con's on this one??
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...wall=Blackwall