Tire selection question - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tire selection question

This is like a novel on tires! Ok Steve, which is our next rear tire?
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

I'm thinking the Pirelli Snow Control....$130....CT For the money it is a no brainer... $130 who cares...if you don't like it there are a few close that would buy it off you !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    So shooter, Monk and other darksiders. Do I understand that the darkside for you guys is about running a runflat as opposed to the mileage? I thought it was all about getting double and triple mileage, but from what Monk said, 9,700-13,000 isn't anything to write home about.
    Duke. I've run the G-Max like Bob. As a matter of fact that's what's on my spare wheel. I liked it OK and was happy with the feel. I just had to try the Alpin and I was blwn away with the way it handled. Not to say the G-Max was bad but for me I could tell a difference. If someone told me I had to run the General I would say OK , no big deal. I feel that I get better traction with the Alpin. The General is certainly a bargain. My ride is a little better with the Michelin also. I like the CT. Probably never go back. I'm thinking about trying the Bridgestone Blizzak next.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Duke. I've run the G-Max like Bob. As a matter of fact that's what's on my spare wheel. I liked it OK and was happy with the feel. I just had to try the Alpin and I was blwn away with the way it handled. Not to say the G-Max was bad but for me I could tell a difference. If someone told me I had to run the General I would say OK , no big deal. I feel that I get better traction with the Alpin. The General is certainly a bargain. My ride is a little better with the Michelin also. I like the CT. Probably never go back. I'm thinking about trying the Bridgestone Blizzak next.
    It's all about handling and the ride....I get it.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Best I can tell, the Michelin Primacy Alpin Pa3/zp and the Pirelli Snow Control are discontinued, sure some may be out their but do I want to hunt the internet, had my brother check w/his tire person and he had no luck. Like insurance , need and have it but don't know diddly about it. What are the numbers that you tire smart guys look at ? I want to run a run flat but don't have to. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=choptop;108590]Best I can tell, the Michelin Primacy Alpin Pa3/zp and the Pirelli Snow Control are discontinued, sure some may be out their but do I want to hunt the internet, had my brother check w/his tire person and he had no luck. Like insurance , need and have it but don't know diddly about it. What are the numbers that you tire smart guys look at ? I want to run a run flat but don't have to. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

To kind of answer my own question, but not, I have decided against a run flat and will instead stay w/ a conventional Car tire.

[QUOTE=choptop;108595]
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Best I can tell, the Michelin Primacy Alpin Pa3/zp and the Pirelli Snow Control are discontinued, sure some may be out their but do I want to hunt the internet, had my brother check w/his tire person and he had no luck. Like insurance , need and have it but don't know diddly about it. What are the numbers that you tire smart guys look at ? I want to run a run flat but don't have to. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

To kind of answer my own question, but not, I have decided against a run flat and will instead stay w/ a conventional Car tire.
    Can I make a recommendation? Select a tire with a higher speed rating, i.e., V or Z ... something that has the rim protector.
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128

[QUOTE=Monk;108597]
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post

Can I make a recommendation? Select a tire with a higher speed rating, i.e., V or Z ... something that has the rim protector.
    Thanks, will look at that.

Darkside Rear

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    This might be an alternative to the Michelin ......

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....FTV2&tab=Specs

The Pirelli is sold out for the year !!!!! Went with the Dunlop..l.$155 to my door !

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Here is from Tire Rack !!! I will install in a few months.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes