Covering the brakes and throttle control.

Thread: Covering the brakes and throttle control.

Covering the brakes and throttle control.

On a recent thread on another forum on covering the brake a poster said that he was taught to operate the throttle with the fore finger and thumb and to cover the brake with the other three fingers. It didn't seem like any of the other posters bit but I did and I'm sold.

By using this technique I have been able to avoid any jerkyness on the touchy f6b throttle and also have the brake covered at the same time. I live five miles from the George Washington bridge in NJ our most congested state and so it is endless stop and go etc. This technique has given me a feeling of control that I never had before. Try it you'll like it.

Now does anyone have a technique for not blowing the horn when they hit the turn signals? The chicks in town think I'm beeping at them and it is ruining my reputation.

Enjoy!!
    Tom

The MSF course thinks that is a good way to cut off finger(s).

A famous instructor teaches, fingers, toes and nose.... lite fingers on the grips with a finger on both the brake and clutch lever, toes, keeps on your toes so you cannot use the rear brake and nose, look where you want the bike to go!

Works for a lot of people !!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    The MSF course thinks that is a good way to cut off finger(s).

Another reason I am not a fan !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by xgringo View Post
    On a recent thread on another forum on covering the brake a poster said that he was taught to operate the throttle with the fore finger and thumb and to cover the brake with the other three fingers. It didn't seem like any of the other posters bit but I did and I'm sold.

By using this technique I have been able to avoid any jerkyness on the touchy f6b throttle and also have the brake covered at the same time. I live five miles from the George Washington bridge in NJ our most congested state and so it is endless stop and go etc. This technique has given me a feeling of control that I never had before. Try it you'll like it.

Now does anyone have a technique for not blowing the horn when they hit the turn signals? The chicks in town think I'm beeping at them and it is ruining my reputation.

Enjoy!!
    Tom
    I don't usually keep fingers on the brake or clutch unless anticipating an action. Just depends. I pick my lines and keep me eyes focused on the next turn. I keep torque on the rear wheel through the corner, selecting the right gear to maintain proper control. I also practice good posture and leaning some body weight into the turns. The combination of the above improves cornering speed and smooth transitions . Now these are things generally practiced when riding aggressively in twisty roads.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Touchy throttle on the 6?

Man you haven't seen a touchy throttle til you buy an M109R now that bike has a touchy throttle. Your halfway down the block before you realize you didn't mean to hit it that hard.

Red face

Every solution brings it's own set of problems. Here in NJ I'm concerned with control and about not hitting someone or something. One insurance company I checked rates with would "participate fifty percent" if you hit a pedestrian and another only offered a low amount of coverage. And no I don't want to cut off my fingers either.

But I think I'm going to stay with this technique as I've been using it for two weeks and it becomes intuitive real fast.

Enjoy!!
    Tom

Do you have free play in the throttle? Should I adjust my throttle to eliminate the little slop in the throttle before acceleration.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    Do you have free play in the throttle? Should I adjust my throttle to eliminate the little slop in the throttle before acceleration.
    Steve
    Depends on what you mean by little. I prefer my throttle to be adjusted with as little play as possible and still be able to turn the bars full-lock left and right (mainly left) without affecting the idle.
    Ken (Hornblower)

What Hornblower said. If you adjust it, do a full lock left right turn with the motor running before you hit the road.

Enjoy!!
    Tom