Do you miss not having a reverse gear?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss not having a reverse gear?

Do you miss not having a reverse gear?

I've pretty much decided that I will be buying a new bike in the Spring, and the F6b is at the top of my list. I've tried to get myself excited about another bike as well, but after a demo ride on a sport tourer I'm just not sure I could enjoy that riding position for long rides at my age. I still haven't been able to set up a demo ride on the F6b but just the feel of it in the dealership (the one on the floor was already sold so they wouldn't let me take it out for a ride) was more than enticing. But the lack of the reverse gear on this 850 pound bike has me a bit nervous. I wonder how many of you with F6b's regret not getting the Goldwing for just that feature.

To answer your question.......no. I'm also "not young"(71) and stand 5'8". This bike is much easier to move around than my 98 Valkyrie that I had for 16 yrs. I have just learned to pay attention to the "slope of the land" when I park. I can paddle it around while astride or move it without being in the saddle just fine. For me reverse is a non issue.

I had a Goldwing and only used reverse twice. First time I used it was just to see how it worked, second time I wasn't paying attention and parked on a slop.............I could have managed but since I had reverse I used it. Reverse should not be a factor in determining if you want a certain bike. I've been riding two wheels since the early '60's and never needed reverse. The F6 is a great bike, go for it!

I have been using the same reverse for @ 40 years and it has only failed me once. Just need to think/plan ahead.

I am a fairly young guy (40 y/o) and I pull up next to my house and back the B by hand up a slight incline (while turning, also) into the garage. It's heavy, but manageable. I don't think reverse is necessary. It doesn't feel that much heavier than my 600 lb VStar.

shooter
    You can't miss what you've never had. Just ride and park smart. Without reverse there is a little thinking involved on a bike this heavy.

I am 75+ years old about 5' 9" and weigh close to 200 lbs...Never had a issue with my Victory Vision Tour, (900lbs) or the F6B...Just be careful where you park and all will be fine...I back mine down a 40' driveway, slightly downhill, and have no issues with it...I do have the lower Mustang seat and 1/2" higher soles/heels on my boots which really helps in backing up!!!....Go for the F6B and don't give a thought to the reverse as most I know never use it....Ride safe

Yep. As shooter said "can't miss something that I've never had".

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Yep. As shooter said "can't miss something that I've never had".
    +1.......................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

If I did have one, It would have to make the "beep-beep-beep" noise like the big trucks do...
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.