Took ol' Star out for a ride today...

Thread: Took ol' Star out for a ride today...

Took ol' Star out for a ride today...

When I first learned to ride, it was on an '82 Suzuki GS650. Put 11,000 miles on that old girl, 2010-12.

I then purchased a used 2008 VStar 1100 Silverado. I was very intimidated by the size of this bike in July 2012. The wide bars, the giant chrome headlight, the somewhat cumbersome handling, wide tank (compared to Suzook), all contributed to a feeling that was a big bike. I crashed that bike a month after owning it.

I got back into riding in 2014, with a used 2004 VStar. After putting 7,000+ miles on this bike, I was more than used to it…I felt like I had outgrown it (even though I still like it).

Enter the B. 430 miles on it now, and just getting used to it. This bike is in a whole different genre, league. The only thing is has in common with my previous bikes is that it has two wheels.

Today, I took the VStar out of the garage for the first time in three weeks and rode it to the gas station and Home Depot. 12 mile round trip.

It feels like a little toy. What is scary is that, after riding a full sized touring cruiser, it feels like you can throw it around like a rag doll as it weighs about 300 lbs less than the Honda, but the rake and other cruiser-style features don't contribute to sport-bike type handling. Everything feels very, um, cute (i.e. trivial) now. The little burst of VTwin torque that pulls your arms for a second, but then fades…the light-feeling ride, the aforementioned handling, etc. This is the same bike that used to intimidate me.

Closing thoughts:

The F6B could easily lose a VStar in the twisties (a snowmobiler term for curvy trail through the woods), despite its extra gerth.

You can see a lot more on the VStar (mostly where the F6's fairing resides)

You are a lot more exposed on the VStar (despite its 21" Memphis shades windshield and lowers)

Storage is a joke (I used to be impressed by the bags) on the Yamaha

The VStar shifts WAAAYYY better than the Honda (like butter; could shift with flip flops on with ease)

I really notice the raw motorcycle feeling that Yamaha tried to engineer into it to replicate the Harley feeling, but they only made it so "bad" because Yamaha engineers are perfectionists.

It seems like a very basic, simple, entry-level bike now.

I have been riding on the street since 1992
    I have owned over 16 motorcycles in that time.
    I don't trade off a bike unless it has at least 20k on it, That is my mark if I truly like it, or has to move on.
    Nothing compares to the F6B or even a Full Wing.

I have had the bug since I bought the F6B in 2013 to buy a different Bike.
    All that I have test ridden have left me unimpressed and disappointed.
    I at this time in my life I Never see myself not owning a GL platform as long as I am on two wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericb445 View Post
    I have been riding on the street since 1992
    I have owned over 16 motorcycles in that time.
    I don't trade off a bike unless it has at least 20k on it, That is my mark if I truly like it, or has to move on.
    Nothing compares to the F6B or even a Full Wing.

I have had the bug since I bought the F6B in 2013 to buy a different Bike.
    All that I have test ridden have left me unimpressed and disappointed.
    I at this time in my life I Never see myself not owning a GL platform as long as I am on two wheels.
    After this unusually warm early November day, I just took a 70 mile ride, putting me at 500 miles. I didn't think I would like this bike at first…the position of my feet, handlebars, notchy shifter. However, now, especially after today, I am really getting used to it. What a great cruiser, in particular now with the Madstad windshield installed. That big, wide seat, the fairing, the stereo, the ride, the storage, the power…what a ride this thing is.