Flush mount iphone extension cable? -help!

Thread: Flush mount iphone extension cable? -help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Sorry, One or two riders have moved the USB cable to the front and put it in the left cubby.... not quite sure what your are doing but I will try to follow and learn something !
    Ooh, glad to hear that! I'll need to search around a little harder and see if I can learn from their experiences.
    Sounds like Slammd wants to make it so there is a dash-mounted USB receptacle that is water proof and is a direct connection to the head unit, this will allow him/her to mount iPhone on bars and plug into that to allow track/playlist/etc skipping from the left grip controls.
    This will pass digital audio to the head unit and allow for charging. All audio should come through the stock speakers, including GPS instructions.
    The problem I am seeing is that the voltage drop from the long cable may not play well with the iPhone. Newer models just won't recognize anything below 5V.
    I didn't check the specs, but I'm assuming that Honda fully supports Made for iPod (MFI) specs which will allow the iPhone to connect with it. All other receivers I've used that have MFI will connect to my iPhone 6+.
    The other link I posted for the Honda USB head unit connector is from China and will take a month to get here, I ordered one of these after I realized my 1 month mistake.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/131626631568...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If it won't connect due to voltage drop I will use a glovebox mounted 12V>USB device to power it and pass the 2 data signals along on that after soldering the data wires from the head unit to it.

Yeah, it does sound like a lot of work, but it will be nice to be able to clip my phone into the cradle, plug in the Lightning connector and have full integration.
    I never listened to music much in the past while riding, must admit I've taken a liking to it!

If it works I'll post the steps I took, with pictures where necessary.
    A Bluetooth solution that integrated with stock controls would be great, but without integration it is too much of a distraction to change tracks. Also charging will be nice, esp if using GPS.

You're spot on MisterB...that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Sorry Steve, I wasn't clear from your reply whether or not your solution provided charge only or charge with data. I too have heard that some have pulled back the cable from the saddlebag and that would work as well assuming I could identify the proper flush mount USB connector that will also provide data pins. BTW, I have been using my Iphone 6+ connected in the saddlebag with the standard 4-5' Apple cable for playing music. I also tested navigation using Apple Maps and it seems to work just fine (audible directions momentarily interrupt music)...I'm thinking that there shouldn't be a voltage drop issue. Thanks

Is there anyway to do this with an android phone?
    Steve

So Steve you want your android phone to play music and interupt for gps commands from the handlebars. And be able to change songs via handlebar switch.

While the usb cable connector in the left saddlebag is our best option because it supplies power and return audio signals and can be controlled by the left handlebar switch. There are plenty of alternatives. If your phone is right there at the left handlebar whats the use of the handlebar switch then? You can use power from the left cubby to power your andriod and you can use the earplug in the left cubby to hear audio.

of course if you don't want 2 cables running out of your left cubby then use a BT receiver in the cubby to pair up with your Android and plug the BT receiver into the ear phone jack already in the left cubby.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt