My new helmet...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new helmet...

My new helmet...

Attachment 17716

My Multi-Tech felt like a cinderblock strapped to my head compared to this helmet! Shoei J-Cruise, light, quiet, and the sun visor is fantastic. I know, 3/4 helmet, not enough protection By the looks of the fit and finish on this thing I'm sure it can take a hit, and it's the most comfortable helmet I've worn in 25 years of riding. So anyone currently looking for helmets, I give this one two thumbs up.
    Still Wingman after the site crash!

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

shooter
    Everything I've ever owned in Shoei has been ultra comfortable. Good looking helmet.

Great Helmet!

I have one too. I have a multitech too. SHoei's seem to fit my big noggin'. I love the ability to see in the J-Cruise and switch out to a dark tint shied for day rides. Have to look into a changing lens so I don't have to carry two.

I have 3 of them in different models. Just in the last few years have a put a premium on quality head gear. The $40 half helmets were fine while riding the Harleys.

Two of my biggest disappointments were with Nolan and HJC. I loved the Nolan and the quality was out of this world, but it just would not fit the shape of my head. As much as I loved it, it was very uncomfortable to the forehead.

The HJC BT was a wonderful piece of headgear, but it was only after I wore it for a short 1/2 hour ride did I notice how heavy it was. That was behing the fairing/shield of the B which we all know is a lot of protection in itself. Sold it on eBay after 30 minutes of use.

Shoei makes a high quality helmet that offers some of the best protection in a very comfortable and lightweight fit. My only complaint is that I wish they had the ratchet style strap like the Nolan, but that is just me. I own 3 Shoeis and 4 Bells and and I wear these 95% of the time. The variations of the 5 other helmets I own mostly just sit on the shelf. I would give them away if somebody would come get them.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I also have the Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet and really prefer it over all the others I have used..I do have a HJC 3/4 helmet with no face shield that I ride with on really hot summer days and it is nice, but the noise level is far greater...A couple of minor drawbacks to the Shoei is, I cannot get my glasses under the thing no matter how I try, and with the shields down the "drone" from my Cobra pipes is a little louder...but I can live with both as I can see okay without my distance glasses, just wish I could figure out how to get them on under the Shoei..Best helmet for the money in my humble opinion.....Ride safe

Opas--You might want to check out the Kabuto Ibuki on Revzilla. That helmet is the best I've ever owned (and I've owned many) and is so well thought out that a space is provided for glasses temple arms.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I also have the Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet and really prefer it over all the others I have used..I do have a HJC 3/4 helmet with no face shield that I ride with on really hot summer days and it is nice, but the noise level is far greater...A couple of minor drawbacks to the Shoei is, I cannot get my glasses under the thing no matter how I try, and with the shields down the "drone" from my Cobra pipes is a little louder...but I can live with both as I can see okay without my distance glasses, just wish I could figure out how to get them on under the Shoei..Best helmet for the money in my humble opinion.....Ride safe
    Solution = Contact lenses.

Best thing ever invented since the telescope.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Attachment 17722

This Shoei has been my helmet since 1988/89. That makes it roughly 26 years old and it is still going strong and looks like new (more or less). And I still have a pile of new face shields for it on the shelf. Guess all of that has to say something about Shoei's.

Alas as along with every other helmet I owned prior to the Shoei, it never was very comfortable for me. At 2XL....the Shoei has always sat heavy on the point of my forehead. About an hour at a time was the most I could hope for without wanting to tear it off and heave it in a ditch. But, most helmets had this problem as well...and few were big enough for me.

For a long time, Shoei and Bell were the only two makers who made a size I could even get over my head. Bell was almost comfortable...but cost a LOT more. After awhile, I just gave up and tolerated the Shoei and didn't bother to shop.

I did buy a Nolan (long gone now and don't remember the model number) back about 90/91...loved the look, but it was too round for my head and suffered the same forehead troubles as the Shoei ...only moreso.

Flash forward to present day. Shoes still makes nothing larger than 2x apparently. But lots of other makers have seen the light and larger sizes are able to be had. AND.....Nolan has also seen the error of their round-headed ways and now have at least gone moderately oval in shape.

Just three days ago, I received my new Nolan N104 EVO in 3X (3XL!!!! I know!!) For the first time in my life, I have a helmet which is comfortable. It's a polycarbonate shell so it is a slight bit heavier than many. But, at 1650-1700g (slightly less than 3.7 lb) it is comfortably in the same ballpark as the rest of it's kin.....even the Kabuto Ibuki at 1770g. (.....which I would have been terribly interested if it could have been had in 3X)

But....different strokes for different folks. If it fits you well...you'll love the Shoei and it'll probably last as long or longer as mine.

Enjoy!!

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

As hard as it was raining today I did not get a single drop of water behind the face shield. Another plus for this helmet!
    Still Wingman after the site crash!