My new helmet... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new helmet...

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Solution = Contact lenses.

Best thing ever invented since the telescope.
    I suppose they are..but I cannot wear them since after cataract surgery permanent lenses were put over my eye balls and work fine......

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I suppose they are..but I cannot wear them since after cataract surgery permanent lenses were put over my eye balls and work fine......
    Understand that. Well... was just a suggestion.

I have encased my head with HJC's for many years... I don't have any issue with them. I do toss them after a few years and buy a new one.

I know that people follow the mantra that "how cheap is your head" but I don't buy into an expensive helmet = better protection. I mean....

...look at me. I am still alive and walking after bumping my head with HJC's.

Proof is in the pudding.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Choosing the right style is a science

Understand that. Well... was just a suggestion.

I have encased my head with HJC's for many years... I don't have any issue with them. I do toss them after a few years and buy a new one.

I know that people follow the mantra that "how cheap is your head" but I don't buy into an expensive helmet = better protection. I mean....

...look at me. I am still alive and walking after bumping my head with HJC's.

Proof is in the pudding.
    I did read a study where there is not that much difference in protection from a medium priced and very expensive helmet in the case of a crash. However, a $150 half helmet may not be as effective as a $50 3/4 or full face depending on how you fall. I do know that my next full face will be the carbon fiber Vega---they weigh less than most 3/4 lids with full face protection.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Listen...whatever anyone wants to spend on a helmet is fine with me; whether it be budget driven or just some silly principle. I've taken 2 pretty serious cowhide rides with Arai and Shoei on my head, and my head is pretty much the only thing I haven't had surgically repaired on my body at this point (although it may be a bad idea). I work with a guy that rides a Harley, I have watched him spend $$75 on a long sleeve T-Shirt, yet his helmet is a non-DOT piece of crap skull cap that wouldn't survive a fall off the coffee table. Budget I understand, but some types of reasoning I'll never understand. All that said, I'll spend some money on a helmet, and I will replace it every 5-7 years depending on how bad it stinks and how worn in and floppy it gets; the Multi-Tech lasted a little better than 5 years.
    Still Wingman after the site crash!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Listen...whatever anyone wants to spend on a helmet is fine with me; whether it be budget driven or just some silly principle. I've taken 2 pretty serious cowhide rides with Arai and Shoei on my head, and my head is pretty much the only thing I haven't had surgically repaired on my body at this point (although it may be a bad idea). I work with a guy that rides a Harley, I have watched him spend $$75 on a long sleeve T-Shirt, yet his helmet is a non-DOT piece of crap skull cap that wouldn't survive a fall off the coffee table. Budget I understand, but some types of reasoning I'll never understand. All that said, I'll spend some money on a helmet, and I will replace it every 5-7 years depending on how bad it stinks and how worn in and floppy it gets; the Multi-Tech lasted a little better than 5 years.
    A good way to keep helmets from getting stinky; is to wash your hair everyday and wear a dew rag; before donning the helmet. Greatly extends the life of the helmet innards and keeps it clean.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

A good way to keep helmets from getting stinky; is to wash your hair everyday and wear a dew rag; before donning the helmet. Greatly extends the life of the helmet innards and keeps it clean.
    Harley riders wear "dew rags"-----personally I wear a "helmet liner"

Cycle Gear has a pretty good one but the best is a product called "Wick It" you would not believe how well it works and the fresher it keeps the helmet. On Amazon they come with a 1 year "satisfaction warranty".

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Harley riders wear "dew rags"-----personally I wear a "helmet liner"

Cycle Gear has a pretty good one but the best is a product called "Wick It" you would not believe how well it works and the fresher it keeps the helmet. On Amazon they come with a 1 year "satisfaction warranty".
    Maybe I used the wrong term... I meant "head wraps". Are they considered the same thing as "dew rags"? Does it matter?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

[QUOTE=willtill;102183]A good way to keep helmets from getting stinky; is to wash your hair everyday and wear a dew rag; before donning the helmet. Greatly extends the life of the helmet innards and keeps it clean.

Most liners are washable too. TMI but, I have Portuguese oily skin and need to wash a couple times a season.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Maybe I used the wrong term... I meant "head wraps". Are they considered the same thing as "dew rags"? Does it matter?
    No it does not matter. But some of us feel the need to display our intellectual donkey at times. I love showing off my wise ass quite often

BTW---a funny but true story was when I bought my first Wick It was at Deals Gap quite a number of years ago. It got lost in the wash (kind of like socks do) and I went about trying to find another online. At the time I typed in the term "Doo Rag" and "Dew Rag" and all that kept popping up was all the "pirate hat type skull caps" that Harley guys use with 15 different colors of flames but all in the same design and all were thick and 100% cotton. I could not remember the product name and Google and eBay always sent me to the same place. I got so frustrated!!!!!

Then one day I was passing by a TV that was playing in the background and I overheard the announcer talking about the race drivers were putting on their "helmet liner in preparation of the race"---so I went home and typed in "helmet liner" and THERE THEY WERE!!!! Since then I use the term helmet liner. But it does seem like in the interest of making sure you get every option out there, Google and eBay will now display a bunch of different items for either terminology so they don't miss out on a sale.

BTW---in an effort to be sure I am never caught without one, I now have 3 Wick Its in different colors--- to go along with the 1 from Cycle Gear and the Shampa and Hugger that I bought while I was searching for the Wick It. (I guess my Obsessive Complusive Disorder is on full display here. Sorry ) BTW---what was this thread about?