I had to send my 2006 Garmin Zumo 550 back in to Garmin, to be replaced for a re-conditioned unit, of the same model. I have had one for a LOT of miels during the past almost 8 years, and only recently on a return trip to and from Tennessee did it start acting up on me. I went through all the software upgrades online, called in and went through all the tech walk-abouts...and finally decided that this unit needed to be re-conditioned by Garmin.

They have a program wherein you can send them your unit, and for a charge of $ 150.00, they will either re-condition YOUR unit, or...send you one just like yours that has already been re-conditioned. I finally got it back today, and it is a replacement unit, same Zumo 550, but a re-conditioned one, and it works great. I really like having a new screen face on this one, as mine was worn from all the touching.

In the end, they only charged me $ 100.00 + tax, so I did better than normal. It helps to be...abnormal

Yes, they do also have another program that allows you to "upgrade from your current unit, to a newer model, like...from this 550 to a 665. BUT...anyone that is closely familiar with the Zumo line knows that the 550's are in high demand, even used, and fetch more dollars as a used unit than a new 665. I chose to stick with my Zumo 550.