Private sale question... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Private sale question...

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    I took a bank check to a sale 3 states away and his bank called to verify funds and it was approved on the spot. Just make sure you meet someplace safe and during banking hours (week day) don't let that check leave your hand without a receipt and all paperwork in place, banks also have a notary on staff for the legal stuff. You can also print off a "bill of sale" on the net and just fill in the blanks when you get there. I would not go with cash, if a nut would rob a bank he would have no problem robbing you in their parking lot!
    +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Credit Card!

I know this doesn't apply here, but you might find it interesting that my dealer actually took a credit card for the full amount of my F6B. It made the deal so much easier. Of course, he had to build his fee into the price, but he still gave me a good deal. And I got a 2% rebate back from the credit card company.

Have you asked the police to run the VIN?

IF you go out of state here and buy something that could have title issues you have a lot of loop holes to jump through to get everything corrected.
    Further if the VIN shows up as stolen they confiscate the bike, and you are simply out of luck........

I've purchased many a bike via ebay over the years with great success. One tactic that I used to ensure legitimacy of any transaction is to request a copy of seller's drivers license, and copies of all relevant vehicle documentation (title, lien release, etc). After having developed rapport with the seller and agreeing to terms/commitment to purchase, you should be in a comfortable position to ask for this information. Following this on the front end of the deal should provide some "peace" as you fully complete the transaction. Best of luck!

You can ask the seller to fax or email a copy of the title so you can have any Honda dealer run the VIN to check for any recalls, crashes, etc. If the seller is legit, he should have no problem doing this.

Since you are "several states" away from the seller, why not find another Forum member who lives near the seller who can go out and inspect the bike for you...as well as give you his impression of the situation. We used to do this on the GL1800riders forum all the time. Most Forum members are good guys who would be happy to help you out.

Have you seen lots of good pictures of this bike? It sounds like you may have somewhat of a queasy feeling about this seller...trust your gut...
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

Certified bank check

This is the ONLY way to go. Safe, and if the deal doesn't work out, you can take the bank check back and put the cash back into your pocket. Since the check is made out ONLY to the seller, you have a little security from someone else getting it. A money order is similar, but a certified check is the way to go.

What it tells the seller is that a bank is "guarantee funds", so the comfort level is there. The bank takes on the burden of the money being there, in contrast to a personal check that is only paper and doesn't mean the money is necessarily in the account.

Sold my Rune thru Ebay...guy put the money into my account, I emailed him a bill of sale and sent the bill of sale and the title, certified over night mail to a shipping firm in VA... truck picked up bike the next day..... money first !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Check with your bank to see if they have a location near the bike. You can do the paperwork local and have the bank near the bike cut the guy a check on site.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I recently sold my F6B and had many of your concerns. My bank told me that a certified check can be faked and was as much risk as any other transaction. Their suggestion was a bank to bank transfer at the time of the transaction. Check head of time if your individual lending institutions are compatible regarding instant transfer of funds.

In my case the buyer and I couldn't get together during banking hours so he brought cash. We took pictures of each others drivers licenses and had a notary certify the bill of sale. The transaction went smoothly. Hope your situation is the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    I took a bank check to a sale 3 states away and his bank called to verify funds and it was approved on the spot. Just make sure you meet someplace safe and during banking hours (week day) don't let that check leave your hand without a receipt and all paperwork in place, banks also have a notary on staff for the legal stuff. You can also print off a "bill of sale" on the net and just fill in the blanks when you get there. I would not go with cash, if a nut would rob a bank he would have no problem robbing you in their parking lot!
    Thanks for the info...

Quote Originally Posted by Slammd View Post
    I've purchased many a bike via ebay over the years with great success. One tactic that I used to ensure legitimacy of any transaction is to request a copy of seller's drivers license, and copies of all relevant vehicle documentation (title, lien release, etc). After having developed rapport with the seller and agreeing to terms/commitment to purchase, you should be in a comfortable position to ask for this information. Following this on the front end of the deal should provide some "peace" as you fully complete the transaction. Best of luck!
    Will be doing this..

Quote Originally Posted by Miks View Post
    This is the ONLY way to go. Safe, and if the deal doesn't work out, you can take the bank check back and put the cash back into your pocket. Since the check is made out ONLY to the seller, you have a little security from someone else getting it. A money order is similar, but a certified check is the way to go.

What it tells the seller is that a bank is "guarantee funds", so the comfort level is there. The bank takes on the burden of the money being there, in contrast to a personal check that is only paper and doesn't mean the money is necessarily in the account.
    The check is from the bank (loan) so I will ask what type of check or if it can be a certified check.. They already told me it will be wet turn to the seller upon approval..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ritsema View Post
    I recently sold my F6B and had many of your concerns. My bank told me that a certified check can be faked and was as much risk as any other transaction. Their suggestion was a bank to bank transfer at the time of the transaction. Check head of time if your individual lending institutions are compatible regarding instant transfer of funds.

In my case the buyer and I couldn't get together during banking hours so he brought cash. We took pictures of each others drivers licenses and had a notary certify the bill of sale. The transaction went smoothly. Hope your situation is the same!
    The seller and I talked about this so this may be an option.. I'm dealing with a credit union and he stated he has one also.. So that may work out for both of us..

Thanks for the info guys.....