Bad Paint....New Thread ! - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bad Paint....New Thread !

The secret will be to get a long term test bike rider/writer to note the paint problems as they develop in print, with pics. Public embarrassment will force the issue for sure.

I can't think of a motorcycle magazine that would have the balls to call out Honda like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I can't think of a motorcycle magazine that would have the balls to call out Honda like that.
    Yes, it may take a set of stainless to do it. The last time the M/C press experienced the common GPS off-course = reload failure problem on the 2012 Wing, Honda soiled themselves when it went to press and got it repaired very soon thereafter. We tried for months via Dealers and Honda Customer Service, but to no avail.

Edit: The power of a public call out to Honda...the GPS was fixed in short order:
    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...800_gold_wing/
    http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...93.html?page=3

It will take public reporting (not just Forum chatter) and subsequent pressure and embarrassment to deal with the paint problem. The competition would take note of it, and then so would Honda. The real question is whether or not Honda North America can cause Honda Japan to react and support a fix and paint process change. I'm skeptical at this point.

No word from my dealer today on his contact with the Regional Tech Rep. Will stop by tomorrow and say hello again. Depending upon the response, I'll then proceed to Honda Customer Service and start a complaint via their system.

If I hear any reference to the use of Scratch-X or similar after the fact band aid, my response will be that my only obligation as an owner is to treat the bike's paint with normal respect, and follow the Owner's Manual...wash, dry, and use a non-abrasive polish. My obligation is not to buff out scratches and swirls unnecessarily caused by an inferior soft paint job from Honda apparently applied without an adequate clear overcoat. That's their problem to deal with and solve.

Cool

My case has been turned over to " Randy " whoever that is...waiting on a call back..... holding my breath.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    My case has been turned over to " Randy " whoever that is...waiting on a call back..... holding my breath.....
    Randy's the person that Miles got his jaws tight over. Ask if they offer warranty coverage on paint...potentially due to a defect in materials or workmanship.

Ask how you're to maintain the paint differently than outlined in the Owners Manual to preserve the value of the F6B. Unnecessary loss of value due to a factory defect might involve a legal remedy at some point. My words, not an attorney's.

Oh, and maybe here's Randy's other day job:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAiyz-POxI

I spoke with my very good Dealer (I've bought 13 motorcycles from them) and Honda Customer Support (via Carlos a good phone rep BTW) today.

The Dealer had spoken earlier with their Tech Rep regarding the F6B paint. He only recommended I wash the bike periodically with a clean cloth, use Honda Spray Polish to protect, and remove any paint damage with 3M Finesse-It (TM). Non abrasive wax is also approved. Using Finesse-It will remove paint, as there's no clear coating over the color. Periodically buffing out paint imperfections with a non-Honda product isn't mentioned in the Owner's Manual, but Honda apparently feels it's the secret to maintaining the bike's value.

My saddlebag covers were scratched from the sock covering they use inside the crate to cover the bike during shipment. My Dealer is considering what to do about that separate problem.

Carlos reaffirmed that there is no clear coating. It's only used by Honda to enhance a metallic paint. They have pulled product and the F6B paint (black and red) meets Honda's standards. They recommend the same as the Tech Rep as far as cleaning and maintenance of the surface. He noted that Goldwing owners are very particular about their motorcycles.

Honda offers a 45 day warranty on the paint, but in some cases will extend that within the 3-year general warranty. I'm not sure what warranty coverage would entail, and what the recovery process would involve.

My courteous reply to both the Dealer and Honda was that I was not happy with the paint, was concerned about eventual abnormal loss of value due to the excessive paint maintenance requirements beyond that which the Owner's Manual addresses, and would have not purchased the motorcycle had I known about what I feel is a serious problem or defect in construction.

Honda started a case# for me by VIN, and my Dealer (somewhat caught in the middle) has said they'd discuss both their and my options to be made whole again and get back to me. The SM agreed that going forward the potential paint maintenance was excessive compared with other lines they sell (HD and BMW).

We'll see what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Steve, turning your case over to Randy basically means you just got screwed. Randy is going to do nothing, other than give you lip service, and tell you that Honda thinks there is nothing at all wrong with the paint...that you are the only person in the world with this complaint...that Honda has found that if you use the 3M Finesse, it will take away the swirls and marks and scratches...etc, etc, etc.

My # 1 concern at this point is: I do not want to allow Honda to get a foothold into thinking that there is nothing wrong with the paint, when many of us know there is a problem. I want to stop Randy and Honda from going down the wrong path, and if that means a class-action lawsuit, then so be it.

I am NOT asking that Honda fix my bike right this minute. That is why I have a 3 year warranty. And I had my bad paint documented within the first 2 weeks of owning this bike. So it is not like I waited for a couple months to go by. I just want Honda to STOP lying to us...recognize that there is in fact a problem, and then decide how they want to make each and every one of us happy, and our bikes corrected to what the paint should be. If that takes another year or two, then fine. I can wait for that. But STOP lying to me today. Stop treating me as if I have never owned a motorcycle before, let alone 3 other Honda Goldwing 1800's, all which had perfect paint on them. Stop telling me that I do not know how to wash my bike, or that this is normal for a Black painted bike. It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike44 View Post
    My courteous reply to both the Dealer and Honda was that I was not happy with the paint, was concerned about eventual abnormal loss of value due to the excessive paint maintenance requirements beyond that which the Owner's Manual addresses, and would have not purchased the motorcycle had I known about what I feel is a serious problem or defect in construction.
    Honda hires some pretty bright folks with healthy salaries to draft warranty language that protects them. That's right y'all warranties are not designed to protect the consumer, they are designed to protect the manufacturers and the vendors. Additionally the bike's intended purpose or operational safety right at this moment is not impacted by the paint issue.

You and others may find that until you actually sell your motorbike, the loss of value cannot be determined. IF at time of sale you can demonstrate how the actual selling price is lower than market value and can directly be attributed to the perceived poor paint you might have some ammo.

I think warranty is a non starter unless someone can prove Honda was aware or ought to have been aware of paint quality issues, or Honda acknowledges it outright.

If Honda capitulates on this issue it will be out of good will and probably on a case by case basis. Lucky for us Honda has exercised goodwill in the past so there is hope.

One thing that Honda in CA said today was that the warranty was handled between the dealer and tech support staff, or whatever they call the folks that tour the country settling warranty claims and offering info speak. The dial up customer support end doesn't get involved with those matters. Normally I was told the dealer takes pics to document the issue and then works to solve the problem. If there's no problem, then any time spent by the dealer is potentially paid for by the owner.

That's what I was told. I've yet to hear back from my dealer, but it'll probably be soon like tomorrow. If given a chance at this point (less than three weeks and low miles into ownership) I'm inclined to sell or trade the paint problem with the bike. I don't intend to become a paint maintenance b*tch for a Honda motorcycle.

No return call......... How far is CA. ?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com