First accessory for the new bike.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First accessory for the new bike.

Exclamation First accessory for the new bike.

Not much of an accessory, but it's my first. Now I just have to figure out the best way to get a USB connection in the front cubby. Coming from a sportbike background I have no clue how to add electronics to the bike. Any easy step by step instructions / parts?

Watch that x-cradle, I had one of the rubbers come off and almost lost my phone. I have read about others who have hit big bumps and had their phone fall...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    Watch that x-cradle, I had one of the rubbers come off and almost lost my phone. I have read about others who have hit big bumps and had their phone fall...
    Thanks for the heads up, if I'm not happy with it this weekend I'll try another holder. Gotta love Amazon returns (if needed).

I have the same set up, defender and RAM mount. I did lose a rubber thingy, don't know when but not the phone. I ordered an extra set of rubber thingies. I ran power out of the left cubby after filing a slot in the rim of the cubby, but I'm not really happy with that. I may be looking at running a cable out of the bottom of the cubby and up through the left handlebar cover. One problem with that is Apple doesn't like it too much when you mess with their power cords. Too bad RAM doesn't make a Iphone holder that has a power jack.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

What type of cable did you use to get power and where did you connect it?

USB Hookup

Here is a site I buy from a lot. They seem to be the cheapest and they excel at customer service. If you go there, they have an F6B tab, but check the Gl1800 too, as some stuff that will work is there also. Good luck.

http://cyclemax.com/home
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68

Glue the rubbers on! I have never had an issue...I don't use a security cover ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

powering the iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    I have the same set up, defender and RAM mount. I did lose a rubber thingy, don't know when but not the phone. I ordered an extra set of rubber thingies. I ran power out of the left cubby after filing a slot in the rim of the cubby, but I'm not really happy with that. I may be looking at running a cable out of the bottom of the cubby and up through the left handlebar cover. One problem with that is Apple doesn't like it too much when you mess with their power cords. Too bad RAM doesn't make a Iphone holder that has a power jack.
    The cigarette lighter plug in the left side cubby gives you 12V close to where you want it. Pull out the cubby and mount a USB plug to the front of the cubby. Note this is outside of the cubby storage area and forward of the cubby. There is lots of room. Wire the USB plug in parallel to the cig power plug. Now run the wire out and up the handlebars. Simple and clean.
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

shooter
    Use the plug and play 12v receptacle available from wingstuff , you have to drill a hole in the cubby then buy a plug in USB port from Griffin for the receptacle.

So under the left cubby hole is a plug that I can plug a cigarette lighter plug into and then use an adapter to turn the cigarette plug into a USB port?

Anyone have any photos of under the cubby and a links to the cigarette lighter plug to attach to it?