WINTER TRIP. MN-AZ
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WINTER TRIP. MN-AZ

Cool WINTER TRIP. MN-AZ

Hi Everyone, I've been off of here for awhile. Back surgery, relationship issues...everything many of u deal with. So, now getting off the pain pills and all that, I'm ready to go! Never did this before. Early January I plan on making it to AZ. I think I will have to go straight down I-35 down to I-10 then make my way over Surprise, AZ.
    I've been riding for 47 years and rode in snow numerous times...at one time, '70's, when the roads were closed in big storm and National Guard was called out in Ohio. I wrapped rope around my '57 pan head, such a wire heater in oil tank, started charcoal brickettes on fire on a cookie sheet after burning down, and after about 20 minutes, I shoveled the snow off, it was out on the back porch, and headed out! The solders all waved and the cops couldn't make it around to me!
    Well, I hope I don't scratch the paint on my '13 F6B. I have made some changes on the bike. I put a different upper cowl on it modified the exhaust, bars, wind shield, manual cruise, & other stuff.
    This spring I hope I can get a 1800 used engine on the table. Then we'll see what everyone is talking about on the "performance" complacency. Mass produced anything, can be improved.

if anybody has done this trip, please send any suggestions... Thank You. watso

That route sounds sound. Don't think I would push west from DFW or OKC on I20 or I40 through Amarillo and New Mexico. You would most likely hit snow and ice which would slow you down. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

shooter
    Well all I got to say is the B isn't a 57 Panhead. In case you forget it weighs almost 900 pounds and makes about 105/HP and 105/TQ. You was probably making 30/HP in that Panhead. In a half inch of snow every time you ease into the throttle that ass end is gonna come around , every curve you go around that front end is gonna want to kick out. Sounds like a suicide trip to me.

If El Nino holds up!

Living in South Dakota, I have never considered making a cross country trek during the winter. Although I have had the occasion in December, January, and February to take the bike out for a quick spin on a day we call "a January thaw", that is about it for me.

As you have lived through, sub-zero temperatures is what I would be paranoid about. I have done a 50 mile ride when the temperature was +5 degrees, and although I had a snowmobile suit and all the equipment...was I glad to be done with that ride! I can't imaging doing hours of that.

IF El Nino holds up, which it appears to be doing here in the mid-west, it may be a doable year for your cross country trip. I will never forget driving near Green Bay WI one early March day, it was about 15 degrees out with snow piled up everywhere, but the roads were dry. Two BMW motorcycles with younger riders were heading south. After they passed me by, the sign attached to the license plate "Daytona or Bust!" I couldn't help but wish I was going with them

Hi OP, your trip sounds very ambitious for the coldest wettest time of year.

As someone who has extensive riding experience, I can only say there is a huge amount of risk to your safety in your plan. Is it possible you can do it in 4 wheels this time around so you can scout out the best routes for a motorcycle and formulate a workable plan for a winter trip with proper preparation - next time. As shooter says, the F6B is a different animal entirely from a 60 year old bike.

Reading between the lines
    In the event you are making a one way trip and need to go sooner than later, rent a truck and take your bike with you.

Best of luck to you.

Well, I'm all for braving the elements, but as you can see, most folks here would be a bit leery of such a trip in January.

Let me just share my experience from this past February, 2015: February 11, after extensive planning and study of the weather, rode from Nashville, TN to Beatty, NV for the annual President's Day Death Valley Ride.

The trip out was mostly uneventful, with temps just above freezing and a moderate snow squall coming through Oklahoma. The entire trip was on I-40.

Beautiful weekend in a Death Valley, then started home on Monday.

As I was heading east, the ice storm from hell was beginning it's trek toward the mid-south. I made it as far as Little Rock, AR, where (luckily) I have close friends to stay with. As I hunkered down for the night, the ice storm settled over west Tennessee, squarely on my route home. It then moved slowly to Nashville, where it dumped several inches of ice. Temperatures stayed below freezing for days.

My one night with friends turned into four!

I was really getting homesick, so the first day the temps got above freezing, I started to make my way the final 300 miles to home on I-40. Did I mention, it was raining hard the whole way?

How I managed to avoid the numerous icy patches and make it home alive is beyond me...I guess the good Lord has other plans for me. Just to keep my sphincter fully puckered, there were many signs along the way admonishing drivers to "Watch out for ice on road ahead".

Yeah, that's just what you need to make your ride safe and enjoyable!

Despite my waterproof gear, my hands got soaked and quite cold. I was shaking despite my Gerbings being cranked up all the way. "Miserable" would be a gross understatement.

I just remember praying "God, if you'll just help me make it home, I'll never do this again!"

Well, He did His part, and now I'm doing mine...no more long winter rides. The weather is just too unpredictable and the risks are too great.

Your results may be different, but then again, maybe my story will help you ponder this trip a little further...
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

shooter
    Here is a picture of the last guy that tried that trip.Attachment 17899

THANK YOU ALL...

Each response was helpful and intriguing. I've watched a couple of wipe outs on icy patches, via GoPro cameras the riders were wearing. It is serious. I relate it to a time I was with maybe ten guys, I was in back. As we were coming into LasVegas it looked completely dry. We exited and then I saw one, two , then two more go down. I was on an FXRT and slowly pulled the brake, immediately went into a slide. It had rained slightly an hour before, after a couple month dry spell. It was exactly like ice...I've rode on frozen lakes many years ago.

I plan on making it a three day trip. Of course watching the weather and I have weather radar on board. Hopefully make the most of daylight. I know to avoid I-40 in the winter. Yes this isn't a '57 pan, but in this case I think it's a plus. I think watching for a break in the weather is key and once past Kansas, I hope the roads will be in better condition.

I've never had such conveniences such as heated grips, vests, GPS, all the stuff, so, I hope this will ease my stiff concentration, keeping the bike straight up on turns. I'm going to do a few test runs, around here in really cold weather. Deep snow would be the stopper. Well, we'll see what happens. Any more pointers and comments are appreciated.

Yeah! but,

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Here is a picture of the last guy that tried that trip.Attachment 17899
    This guy was not on a F6B.

Don't let it ever be said that this forum's members don't look after it's fellow members. For the motorcycle aficionado only, I found something for that winter trip that just can't be put off till summer. And when summer rolls around you can take to the beach!

Attachment 17902