WINTER TRIP. MN-AZ - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WINTER TRIP. MN-AZ

My friend,When I started reading this I first thought you were kidding. From Minnesota to Arizona - in January !? I live in Colorado but I kinda track the weather in the surrounding states. Not being sure of your intended route my advice is to find another method or another time frame to make the trip. The weather around here will change in hours -not days.Highways will shut down and if you are in the middle of "the gates" you are stuck. I have had opportunity to do triage on folks that did not take this seriously. Just on a short trip these folks were not even close to being prepared for the winter around here.
    Think long and hard about your plans for this..

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Well all I got to say is the B isn't a 57 Panhead. In case you forget it weighs almost 900 pounds and makes about 105/HP and 105/TQ. You was probably making 30/HP in that Panhead. In a half inch of snow every time you ease into the throttle that ass end is gonna come around , every curve you go around that front end is gonna want to kick out. Sounds like a suicide trip to me.
    Yep, No matter how mighty, with out real spikes, the ice will bring most anything down. Play it safe

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1surebet View Post
    This guy was not on a F6B.
    Man I gotta tell you , the B is a great handling bike , but ice and snow brings all motorcycles to their knees. That trip is not doable that time of year.

Going down hard...

is definitely what I don't want to do. I know I would regret scratching the paint job first, although the rest of me would feel it too.
    Well, I can see this is a serious consideration. I would not depart in any anticipation of an ice or snow storm.
    I agree with all of you. The point is, I don't have to do it, it's a challenge. I also am not in my 30's, so I will not go under any conditions. Sometimes there is a break in the weather...I think all I need is 24hr. break.

I've had a lot of experience in cold weather. Part of the reason I'm waiting till January is that here in Minnesota, we have a relay run,"foot run", that starts on midnight Dec. 26 and covers about 90 miles. It's been balmy some years, and also 60 below other years. That lasts around 12 hours mainly in the dark running in the open plains at times. I'm Native and it is in relationship to our history.

I've also been sliding down the highway thinking...I wish I'd stop sliding pretty soon, especially when I saw traffic headed my way. That was during a heavy rain storm in Florida, so no ice.

One update, I have a friend willing to truck me & Bike south to Kansas City. It tends to make me think of Lee Marvins line in The Wild One - " Oh the shame of it all", but If it's needed I'll do it.

Its a work in progress, not a death wish. It puts a smile on my face seeing the care many people have, thank you. We'll see what the weather brings. It's just a trip I'd like to see if I could make. Now, if I were writing on a Ural site, you guys would be wanting to go with!

You should make it just fine IF the weather cooperates. I commuted year round by M/C (weather permitting) when I lived in MN. I had a limit of 10°F and would try not to ride on ice or snow. You also have to watch the refreeze if the sun comes out and melts the snow banks during the day. There is actually less ice to worry about if the roads are clear and it stays below about 20°. There are riders almost daily at Bob's Java Hut in Minneapolis. I am however not as nuts as I sound because about 20 years ago I moved south!

My Grandfather used to ride year round in eastern SD and western MN but he cheated:
    Attachment 17969

Good luck on your trip!

El nino

Quote Originally Posted by Miks View Post
    Living in South Dakota, I have never considered making a cross country trek during the winter. Although I have had the occasion in December, January, and February to take the bike out for a quick spin on a day we call "a January thaw", that is about it for me.

As you have lived through, sub-zero temperatures is what I would be paranoid about. I have done a 50 mile ride when the temperature was +5 degrees, and although I had a snowmobile suit and all the equipment...was I glad to be done with that ride! I can't imaging doing hours of that.

IF El Nino holds up, which it appears to be doing here in the mid-west, it may be a doable year for your cross country trip. I will never forget driving near Green Bay WI one early March day, it was about 15 degrees out with snow piled up everywhere, but the roads were dry. Two BMW motorcycles with younger riders were heading south. After they passed me by, the sign attached to the license plate "Daytona or Bust!" I couldn't help but wish I was going with them
    12/9/15 record high in oklahoma city 74 deg today.

It was a beauty. Thursday and Friday look awesome as well. Saturday a wash, but I'll make it to the gunshow. Just make Tuesday aOK. My departure back to Houston.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Last Guy

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Here is a picture of the last guy that tried that trip.Attachment 17899
    Shooter, that is hilarious! But it also is a great sculpture. Thanks for the laugh.
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68

I'd go but still have a job, lot of extras to add on the f6b so off to work I have to go. Sure we will do road trips in the future.

I guess I am really getting old!!!...I would not take a trip like suggested on this thread if my life depended on it...Much to risky and dangerous for my liking...It is tough enough in winter to go that far in a cage, let alone a bike.....But, as they say..."to each his own"..Good luck my friend, but I might suggest you think long and hard about the negatives of this venture before you go....JMHO