What's Wrong With This Picture?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong With This Picture?

What's Wrong With This Picture?

I just happened to notice something whilst looking at photos of various members' rides.

I purchased my '15 B Dlx just three weeks back.....

Cropped New F6B.jpg

Now...what I have noticed is the weld seam on the frame directly above the drivers' left footpeg in this pic. On other pictures, there is some sort of cover trim piece over that seam. The welds on both the left and right sides of my bike are bare and open.

Did mine somehow get missed....or did they stop doing this on later models?

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    I just happened to notice something whilst looking at photos of various members' rides.

I purchased my '15 B Dlx just three weeks back.....

Attachment 17990

Now...what I have noticed is the weld seam on the frame directly above the drivers' left footpeg in this pic. On other pictures, there is some sort of cover trim piece over that seam. The welds on both the left and right sides of my bike are bare and open.

Did mine somehow get missed....or did they stop doing this on later models?

....sT
    Same on mine...it was called out by a guy at work looking at the bike. He wondered why they would leave it looking like that. Doesn't bother me at the moment. Can't see it while I'm riding!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I believe they eliminated the weld covers to save weight.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Same on mine...it was called out by a guy at work looking at the bike. He wondered why they would leave it looking like that. Doesn't bother me at the moment. Can't see it while I'm riding!
    Same here. It is a clean looking weld bead anyway; powder coated with the frame. I've seen visible weld beads like that on other bike frames as well. I've always thought of them as a aesthetically natural and common for a motorcycle.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I'm thinking the extra weight from the 40 year emblem force MH to eliminate your frame covers!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

The First Thing

When I looked at the new 2015 Deluxe the first thing that jumped out at me was the ugly frame weld on the bike. I knew when I purchased it that it would have to go because its the first bad thing you see that's just plain not to my liking. I may have over compensated for the small weld but that's just me.003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    When I looked at the new 2015 Deluxe the first thing that jumped out at me was the ugly frame weld on the bike. I knew when I purchased it that it would have to go because its the first bad thing you see that's just plain not to my liking. I may have over compensated for the small weld but that's just me.Attachment 17992
    Bling it up Seadog!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Your so Right

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    Bling it up Seadog!
    Chrome will take you home, that matte silver was just crying out for chrome pipes and chrome goodies. I don't want to get too crazy because shuttle touches accomplish the task at hand.

I was told that a "non-visual appealing" weld got those covers, I guess if the welds did not turn out so good looking they covered them? Seems kinda trivial since a lot of bikes have exposed welds and some don't look too good and I have seen some hand welded frames that look like artwork with their welds. Since my last issues with weld quality on my 02 Goldwings frame i'm more about strength than looks.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

That would be true if

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    I was told that a "non-visual appealing" weld got those covers, I guess if the welds did not turn out so good looking they covered them? Seems kinda trivial since a lot of bikes have exposed welds and some don't look too good and I have seen some hand welded frames that look like artwork with their welds. Since my last issues with weld quality on my 02 Goldwings frame i'm more about strength than looks.
    That would be true if there were a bunch of exposed welds on the bike but that one is the only one you see and it just jumps out at you the first thing when you look at the 6, it had to go, one ugly thing covered up was worth anything to me to hide it. I had already opted for the chrome pipes and knew I would be adding more chrome so that just played right into purchase of the chrome frame cover. It cleaned up the side of the bike and helps offset the black and matte silver just enough to make it stand out rather than being an ugly eye sore.