Flashing brake lights - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Flashing brake lights

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluciano View Post
    How do these compare to the Kuryakyn pulsing brake light controller which I bought last year and have yet to install...lol? Should I stick with that?
    Check out post #22

Nice

Ordered mine at end of last week... arrived today in the mail... took about 15 min to install. You will need to open both saddlebags... locate the two 10mm bolts (head facing front) and loosen them (not on very tight from factory...).

Using a plastic trim pry tool (small one from set bought at Harbor Freight months ago for the car... finally got to use one of them!), gently pull the plastic trim panel above the light fixture -- starting from the outside and gently (gently x2) pulling until you get to the top-center of the trim piece. There is a "catch" there... I used the pry tool to finesse the upper (larger trim piece over tail upwards to release from the top edge of the trim panel.

Then, pulling gently up on the upper trim panel, you can pull the entire light bar assembly out. Use a towel or something to cover the lower trim panel where license plate mounts so you don't inadvertently scratch that plastic.

Locate the two bulb holders -- twist and turn to release -- remove OEM and insert the LEDs (I used latex glove "just in case..." to avoid transferring finger oil to the LEDs). Do a test of the brakes before assembly (reverse all the steps).

I'm liking the simplicity of this mod. Flashing red lights will certainly help vehicles behind "see" that braking is occurring (I sure HOPE at least!). No need for aux. resistors or relays like when adding "Switchback" bulbs for front signals (did that yesterday).

Link for purchasing bulbs...

Quote Originally Posted by OlyF6B View Post
    Ordered mine at end of last week... arrived today in the mail... took about 15 min to install. You will need to open both saddlebags... locate the two 10mm bolts (head facing front) and loosen them (not on very tight from factory...).

Using a plastic trim pry tool (small one from set bought at Harbor Freight months ago for the car... finally got to use one of them!), gently pull the plastic trim panel above the light fixture -- starting from the outside and gently (gently x2) pulling until you get to the top-center of the trim piece. There is a "catch" there... I used the pry tool to finesse the upper (larger trim piece over tail upwards to release from the top edge of the trim panel.

Then, pulling gently up on the upper trim panel, you can pull the entire light bar assembly out. Use a towel or something to cover the lower trim panel where license plate mounts so you don't inadvertently scratch that plastic.

Locate the two bulb holders -- twist and turn to release -- remove OEM and insert the LEDs (I used latex glove "just in case..." to avoid transferring finger oil to the LEDs). Do a test of the brakes before assembly (reverse all the steps).

I'm liking the simplicity of this mod. Flashing red lights will certainly help vehicles behind "see" that braking is occurring (I sure HOPE at least!). No need for aux. resistors or relays like when adding "Switchback" bulbs for front signals (did that yesterday).
    Be advised that:
    Even though they fit both ways, they only work in one position AND
    A few of us have had them come loose and fall into the tail light lens - recommend a bit of black tape to secure them in place once you get the polarity correct.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Be advised that:
    Even though they fit both ways, they only work in one position AND
    A few of us have had them come loose and fall into the tail light lens - recommend a bit of black tape to secure them in place once you get the polarity correct.Cheers, Steve
    Thanks for the polarity tip! I got lucky (50% chance on each one that I'd insert incorrectly...both work!). The bulbs from the seller on eBay fit into the holder (plug) really tight, so at this point, I'm not too concerned about them falling out, but will keep an eye on them and maybe check after I've put on some miles (and vibration). Cheers!

Short video (1 of 2) showing "flash"

Video 2 of 2