My Christmas Day ride

Thread: My Christmas Day ride

My Christmas Day ride

Here in New England we have been pretty lucky as far as riding goes,,, so being Christmas Morning and above 50deg as the sun rises, I decided to roll the F6B out and go for a ride. Why not,,, I have a day off from work and no where to be until afternoon. So I started out with no direction and a full tank of gas. I started South on RT7 and thought I would take a ride up the Merritt Parkway. Always a nice ride when the roads are empty. When I was about to swing onto the entrance ramp heading North I thought, how about ride down to the beginning and then ride North from the very beginning of the Parkway. The sky was clearing and through the clouds came a bit of sun that was drying the last of the wet patches of asphalt so my pace picked up and before I knew it I was in New York and the Merritt was turning into the Hutchinson River Parkway. As I rode I was thinking of where to turn and start my Northbound ride when I had a thought.....What would New York City (Manhattan to be exact) be like early Christmas Morning??
    So I continued South on the Hutch and over the Cross County Parkway to the Henry Hudson Parkway.
    Once on the Henry Hudson Parkway for a few miles you begin to ride along the Hudson River and are able to look across at New Jersey until you come up on the George Washington Bridge. It is hard not to be in awe of the size of the GW as you pass under it. Also along side of me are two large Barges being pushed by Tugboats. Shortly after the GW Bridge the HH Pkwy rolls along Riverside Park where there are joggers and cyclists on the trail that runs between the River and HH Pkwy but still no other vehicles on the roads. It is here as I am leaned hard in a long left sweeping corner I realize what beautiful roads NY has built going into the City. Such a shame that this same road will be once again jammed with traffic and crazy drivers that seldom ever get the chance to see it as I am now.
    Once out of Riverside Park and into Hells Kitchen the "City" begins to show itself and I now begin to see movement on the streets. After I pass the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier and ride over the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel I start to see the people walking about and there are now a couple of cars and one cab around me but no honking horns or screeching tires. Just a quiet city walking up and starting it's busy day. As I sit waiting for a traffic light to turn green a cabbie pulls up next to me, says "nice bike" and takes a picture. Maybe he has not seen an F6B before. Or maybe I just seem very odd to him? Down along the River I find a spot to stop and just sit. As I sit there for a short time to just look around at the quiet City I lean back and just look around me.. As I sit there I start to think. Nothing deep here folks, I was just thinking that maybe the coffee I had back in Norwalk wasn't such a good idea,, if you know what I mean hahaha. OK time to head back up before the rest of the world wakes up.
    My ride back up the Hudson Pkwy wasn't as lonely but just as nice. The roads (or Parkways I should say) were actually very smooth, almost never straight and very scenic. I followed the Henry Hudson Pkwy to the Saw Mill Parkway and made my way back home in time to park the bike, change clothes and head over to be with family. I bought my little 18month old granddaughter her first tricycle. Maybe she will love riding as much as I do.. I can only hope!
    I wonder if I can talk her mom (my daughter) into putting a car seat in my Sidecar rig...

Great description of what sounds like a perfect Christmas morning. Enjoyed it . . . thanks for sharing your adventure with us.