DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT

decided to de-badge my f6b. pulled both front & rear honda & the f6b emblems. OOPS, didn't realize the f6b badges were hiding a couple of holes; no retainers so i guess they were just used as alignment holes. planning a repaint this winter so no big problem. i was able to coerce the tape residue off from 3 spots by gently rolling the tape up into a ball & then cleaning the final residue with a carwash detergent. all was well until my thumb became so numb & sore just couldn't tackle the final spot without some help. ran down to wallyworld & picked up some super-duper TURTLE WAX LABEL & STICKER REMOVER. sprayed it on & allowed to set for about a minute & then rubbed off the first layer of tape residue without great effort. the second application almost removed it all. standing back gloating about how easy that was & admiring the effectiveness, i saw some scratches, some pretty damn deep scratches!!! looks like the chemical softened this cheap-assed paint to the point a paper towel did as much damage as 220 grit sandpaper. had some generic polish laying around & after several rounds it looks much better & hopefully some good scratch remover will cure my woes. just a heads up, fellows, don't make the same mistake i did!!

Cool

NEVER !!!!!!! use paper towels.....................
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    NEVER !!!!!!! use paper towels.....................

I'm not having the "abnormal" paint issues so far....just the usual black paint in general. I did buy Liquid Glass and put one coat on yesterday. Looks really good. I plan on putting a second coat of LG tonight.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I used WD 40, worked well with no scratches.

GooGone or WD-40 and with a microfiber or soft cloth. And rub gently. I never use paper towels on paint or windshield. Paper is wood. Wood is abrasive. My 2 cents. Might be worth less.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ditto to what everyone else here has said.It was not the product but the paper towel that scratched the paint.Try some Maguires Scratch X product with micro fiber towels.It should remove them.

paint

A-Men on the paper towels. I seen windshields killed with them. I too do not have a paint problem. I have refrained from cleaning my red F6B while on the road. I cleaned with soap and water and wax of choice is Turtle Wax Ice in paste form. It does not show up on the black trim. Here is two more cents. I think the 2013 granny chair Wings have the same water base enamel as our F6B.

F4 Customs, the windshield maker that advertises here and hard coats their product says paper towels won't harm their screen's surface and recommends their use in cleaning. I have one (18" with vent) which I really like, and the surface is indeed tough. Bugs and rain slide off.

But I won't use paper towels. I grew up near paper pulp mills that produce them. Trees are felled into the dirt and moved to the mill. They grind them up and of course some fine debris gets into the paper.

But that F4 shield...so hard a cat can't scratch it.

And here's proof: http://www.f4customs.com/videos_pages.php?id=6

Quote Originally Posted by timjoebob View Post
    GooGone or WD-40 and with a microfiber or soft cloth. And rub gently. I never use paper towels on paint or windshield. Paper is wood. Wood is abrasive. My 2 cents. Might be worth less.

Yep, both work great and will not harm any automotive/cycle paint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    A-Men on the paper towels. I seen windshields killed with them. I too do not have a paint problem. I have refrained from cleaning my red F6B while on the road. I cleaned with soap and water and wax of choice is Turtle Wax Ice in paste form. It does not show up on the black trim. Here is two more cents. I think the 2013 granny chair Wings have the same water base enamel as our F6B.

The ones manufactured in Japan, beginning in 2012 do have the same paint process as far as I can tell. The Goldwing forum has a thread of owners complaining about the soft paint on their '12 & '13 year model motorcycles. I had a red '12 GL1800 and it had soft paint even though it was a metal flake red. I think it all began when the production lines were relocated.

image.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]