Ready to Accessorize
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ready to Accessorize

Ready to Accessorize

In September of 2015 I rode home on a brand new F6B. Little did I realize at the time how much money I’d have to spend on accessories to make it fit my needs, close to $1,600, and that doesn’t count the service related items such as the 84 month extended service plan or service manual which brought my total to an even higher figure of $2,700. Even if I had purchased a full-fledged Goldwing instead, I still would have added many of the same accessories plus the extended service plan and service manual totaling over $2,200 additional cost.

Throughout my riding career, and regardless of which bike I owned, I’ve always added some accessories to personalize it, but never to the extent of what I’ve spent on this F6B. I suppose that others have spent much more than I and some have spent less, but the fact remains that the way Honda markets this bike could really be considered “bare bones” or “ready to accessorize”. Before I bought my F6 for example, I took a hard look at a new Kawasaki Councours 14 just for comparison. I was blown away with everything that bike offered as standard equipment, but no cruise control so that killed the deal. Point is, there are manufacturers out there with a lot to offer in the way of “standard equipment” which translates directly into money not spent on accessories. Honda seems to have a knack for limiting the list of “standard equipment”, I still can’t believe we don’t have ABS or digital instrumentation. Maybe that’ll be on the next generation, who knows.

In summary, I was really after the flat 6 boxer engine so I purchased my F6 on a year-end clearance from a large Honda Powersports dealer who was more than happy to sell it well below MSRP (which basically paid for all the accessories and the 84-month service plan), so I don’t feel too bad with what I’ve spent, and I did end up with exactly what I wanted. I guess that’s what keeps the accessory manufacturers happy!

Has anyone ever bought a bike that didn't require surgery to make it fit their family?

Even Bruce had to remove a few things and then add a few.

That is what made H.D. rich beyond their dreams...putting out cookie cutter bikes and the owners making them their own!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

This made me look over my list and it's building too. The rally has added to it, but I had to if I'm making the trip, and I am making the trip. I hate spending money on myself, but when it's the bike, I just do it. It's all I have basically, so it doesn't bother me so much. If you include helmets and jacket, I've spent more than you....as you said, some more, others less. Others don't want to know!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Be sure and buy the significant other a hair dryer to keep her in the loop.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    I accessories , close to $1,600, and that doesn’t count the service related items such as the 84 month extended service plan or service manual which brought my total to an even higher figure of $2,700.
    Are you saying that you spent $1100 on an extended warranty and a manual? Maybe you can still change that. I thought guys were getting the warranty for closer to $500.
    Albuquerque, NM

GaTeach
    17,000 miles in six months and all I've added to her is gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Are you saying that you spent $1100 on an extended warranty and a manual? Maybe you can still change that. I thought guys were getting the warranty for closer to $500.
    Yes sir, that's what I'm saying. Take a look at the Honda Protection Plan website http://powersports.honda.com/protect...threeyear.aspx and check the price for the 48 month policy with roadside assistance - $980 + sales tax - and we have to pay the full boat here in Florida per state insurance regulations. The 48 month policy adds an additional four years after the factory warranty for a total of 84 months (7 years) coverage regardless of mileage. I know there are some dealers around the country that sell for less but I was unable to do that. I talked with Honda of Russellville, AR, and they did indeed have a lower price but couldn't sell it to me unless I physically walked in the door or bought a bike from them. For what I could have saved it wasn't worth a two thousand mile round trip to AR from where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    17,000 miles in six months and all I've added to her is gas.
    SMART!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    Be sure and buy the significant other a hair dryer to keep her in the loop.
    Don't worry, she's well taken care of