Ready to Accessorize - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ready to Accessorize

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    17,000 miles in six months and all I've added to her is gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    In September of 2015 I rode home on a brand new F6B. Little did I realize at the time how much money I’d have to spend on accessories to make it fit my needs, close to $1,600, and that doesn’t count the service related items such as the 84 month extended service plan or service manual which brought my total to an even higher figure of $2,700. Even if I had purchased a full-fledged Goldwing instead, I still would have added many of the same accessories plus the extended service plan and service manual totaling over $2,200 additional cost.

Throughout my riding career, and regardless of which bike I owned, I’ve always added some accessories to personalize it, but never to the extent of what I’ve spent on this F6B. I suppose that others have spent much more than I and some have spent less, but the fact remains that the way Honda markets this bike could really be considered “bare bones” or “ready to accessorize”. Before I bought my F6 for example, I took a hard look at a new Kawasaki Councours 14 just for comparison. I was blown away with everything that bike offered as standard equipment, but no cruise control so that killed the deal. Point is, there are manufacturers out there with a lot to offer in the way of “standard equipment” which translates directly into money not spent on accessories. Honda seems to have a knack for limiting the list of “standard equipment”, I still can’t believe we don’t have ABS or digital instrumentation. Maybe that’ll be on the next generation, who knows.

In summary, I was really after the flat 6 boxer engine so I purchased my F6 on a year-end clearance from a large Honda Powersports dealer who was more than happy to sell it well below MSRP (which basically paid for all the accessories and the 84-month service plan), so I don’t feel too bad with what I’ve spent, and I did end up with exactly what I wanted. I guess that’s what keeps the accessory manufacturers happy!

I bought the Concours 14 first and after $2K in modes I gave up trying to make the bike fit me. Wonderful bike, everything I was looking for... Just didn't work for me. Hands would go numb, any piece of pea gravel on the road would cause it to slide, rain was not its friend and I just couldn't get comfy. I had test ridden an older one and ridden my buddies ZRX1400 numerous times. What it came right down two was the 14 wasn't for me and by the time I had mitigated some of the handling issues I was done with it.

I was not a fan of the B when I first looked at it...Honestly thought it was a poser HD. I luv my Honda cycles tho and wasn't ready to go full road couch and get a full Goldwing. After doing the research and looking at other bikes I gave the B another look. Took it for a test ride and bought it that day. Is it perfect? No, but for me it was really close mostly a different seat and I'm good. Yes cruise control was a factor. The only modes I plan besides the luggage rack I install last Sunday are some lighting upgrades, the fork stiffener and a seat. That and its a 40th anniversary addition and I turn 40 in March...

My expensive lesson learned thru all this is if the bike doesn't fit you from the get go don't buy it. It's well worth spending the extra money and taking the time to find the right one vs buying something your determined needs a massive amount of upgrades just to meet your requirements.

Accessories and motorcycles - making it fit who we are

I have two viewpoints on the accessories, one is what I think should be standard equipment, and the second viewpoint is how Harley Davidson views the aftermarket.

My first point would be centered around what should be standard equipment out the door for a bike as practical as most Honda motorcycles are. I came off a Honda CTX 1300 seven months ago, so I noted these similarities. The first is the ridiculous factory windshields - low cut that looks good on the bike, but is the very first thing the owner replaces. My dealer was great, prior to delivery I asked him about windshield styles and options, he lead me to a replacement windshield that a lot of his customers raved about and offered to install one free. Therefore I never drove the bike five feet with the stock windshield. My CTX 1300 had a "shortie" windshield, and I played with that one and realized it just plain sucked no matter how I tried to justify riding with that windshield installed.

In my mind, I think the manufacturer should have a more practical windshield on the get go. Ok, so what if it was a standard Klockworks flip that came on the bike. For a majority of riders, this may be the best option and it looks good on the bike, so why not? Having the bike come from the factor with adjustable handlebars (BMW K1200GT's had this standard), etc. A few elements that could be included on the bike that wouldn't really cost the manufacturer very much at all, to have a bike leave the floor and the owner happy as a clam because they didn't have to go and buy a lot of things to make the motorcycle ready to ride right out of the box.

Ok...so lets talk Harley Davidson motorcycles. Here is what I know - the marketing department is all about how does the bike look on the showroom? The seat....looks great but is probably awful to ride on. The stereo...sound great on the showroom, but is terrible...terrible at speed. Harley could ship the bikes with a more comfortable seat, louder factory pipes, and a better sounding stereo on the road, but it doesn't. Harley realizes that the aftermarket AND a lot of products that they sell are good for the profit side of building motorcycles. MAKE IT LOOK GREAT ON THE SHOWROOM! I remember buying a passenger backrest...$599 with the removal hardware! I believe an internal audit shows an average of $1400 is spent on each Harley Davidson in accessories BEFORE it leaves the door!

Harley Davidson is a marketing machine! Read Clyde Fessler's book, he is the architect of building Harley Davidson from the bankruptcy days, into the MUST have motorcycle. You can YouTube him and he has a few videos talking about his approach to the business, and taking the bike from a biker want to an American status symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    Yes sir, that's what I'm saying. Take a look at the Honda Protection Plan website http://powersports.honda.com/protect...threeyear.aspx and check the price for the 48 month policy with roadside assistance - $980 + sales tax - and we have to pay the full boat here in Florida per state insurance regulations. The 48 month policy adds an additional four years after the factory warranty for a total of 84 months (7 years) coverage regardless of mileage. I know there are some dealers around the country that sell for less but I was unable to do that. I talked with Honda of Russellville, AR, and they did indeed have a lower price but couldn't sell it to me unless I physically walked in the door or bought a bike from them. For what I could have saved it wasn't worth a two thousand mile round trip to AR from where I live.
    True FL dealers have to charge the same price for doc fee, warranty, etc. to every customer but I live in FL and bought my extended warranty from an out of state dealer for $399. Warranty until 2020!! 53,000 miles and counting. By 2020 I should be around 200,000 miles....Sweet!

Just about every human has either longer or shorter arms, legs, torso, wide azzz or skinny azzz long or short neck, etc. No bike, by any manufacterer will fit everyone perfect, right out of the showroom. They just make them to fit an average frame- what ever that is. Personally, at my age, I figure my F6 may well be my last "big" cycle, so I have no problem adjusting some parts to make it more comfortable. I can say that I think the 6 comes with a Great platform to start! Now, if only I could control the weather. Winter sucks.

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail View Post
    I was hoping you'd chime in Ernie. Lol. I guess you and I are the only ones around who think gas and a side piece are all we need to add to our bikes!

Spending Money on the F6B

Well I don't drink and I don't smoke and the old woman doesn't like sex anymore. What else is there but spending money on the F6b to make it the best it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    True FL dealers have to charge the same price for doc fee, warranty, etc. to every customer but I live in FL and bought my extended warranty from an out of state dealer for $399. Warranty until 2020!! 53,000 miles and counting. By 2020 I should be around 200,000 miles....Sweet!
    I would like to know where you got your extended warranty for $399.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    I would also be interested to know where you got your warranty for $399. Is it a genuine Honda Protection Plan policy? how many months coverage? with or without road service included?

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    17,000 miles in six months and all I've added to her is gas.
    Say, that windshield doesn't look like OEM in your pic. Possibly you purchased it that way. Either way, it's a great bike! True, the 6 needs nothing but a good owner. Enjoy the ride, and Happy New Year!