GPS vs. Cell Phone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS vs. Cell Phone

GPS vs. Cell Phone

Just curious, it appears that most are using a GPS for navigation instead of their cell phones. Is this because of screen size and weather durability?

shooter
    Some of us live and ride in areas where cell reception is sketchy. However GPS is satellite based instead of tower based. GPS is almost always on.

I use a Cell phone for navigation. It is so easy to use. I just tell it to navigate to some place and I gets me there, and tells me of any road construction.

Last year, I used my phone to navigate to South Dakota and play my music. I have a Note 4.

I did have an issue on my way back home. The phone displayed a message that it was over heated and needed to be turned off.

The battery could not change fast enough while in use. I had my screen on, and the phone shut down. I had to let it charge for awhile before I could turn it back on. I than used it with the screen off.

I have thought about getting a GPS. I do like the one that also has xm radio. I just think the screen size is a bit small. And I mostly just use the music from my USB thumb drive.

I'm still undecided.

On short trips, I just use my cell phone. On longer trips, I use a cheap Garmin that I've had for years. It's a "car" version, so it's not waterproof. But, after 7-8 years of use and an investment of about $60, it's worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by scoplin View Post
    Just curious, it appears that most are using a GPS for navigation instead of their cell phones. Is this because of screen size and weather durability?
    ...along with age and intransigence!
    '88 FLST
    '95 Ducati 916
    '04 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
    '06 FLHX
    '09 Buell 1125R
    '13 F6B
    '17 BMW R Nine T Racer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GPS vs Smartphones

The difference is the underlying technology. GPS devices contain the maps on-device, and therefore do not require Internet/cellular access to download current maps. That is their advantage. The more expensive units provide Bluetooth to headsets, hi-Res all weather displays, and are waterproof. These are $400-$800 units however.

Cell phones provide free map apps for giant firms like Google and Apple that are vastly superior to those maps provided by the dedicated GPS device providers. They also provide features like Bluetooth directions, ties to reviews, etc. for free that are only available on high end dedicated GPS devices. The downside to smartphone-based navigation is that it fails flat when the rider is out of cellular data range. Note that there are some smartphone applications that store maps locally, these apps are in their infancy.

My suggestion: one of each. Get a cost effective GPS unit. Buy a cell phone mount. Get power to each and use the one that fits your needs at the time. That's what I've done.
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Quote Originally Posted by pdxstriper View Post
    The difference is the underlying technology. GPS devices contain the maps on-device, and therefore do not require Internet/cellular access to download current maps. That is their advantage. The more expensive units provide Bluetooth to headsets, hi-Res all weather displays, and are waterproof. These are $400-$800 units however.

Cell phones provide free map apps for giant firms like Google and Apple that are vastly superior to those maps provided by the dedicated GPS device providers. They also provide features like Bluetooth directions, ties to reviews, etc. for free that are only available on high end dedicated GPS devices. The downside to smartphone-based navigation is that it fails flat when the rider is out of cellular data range. Note that there are some smartphone applications that store maps locally, these apps are in their infancy.

My suggestion: one of each. Get a cost effective GPS unit. Buy a cell phone mount. Get power to each and use the one that fits your needs at the time. That's what I've done.
    Ditto that, they both have their place. However as both have raised my blood pressure on numerous occasions I also carry a map...It doesn't care about weather, cell service, battery life or much of anything. A basic laminated map can be bought at most gas stations for under $10. It's also easier to use when free-styling as you can see the whole map at once. MadMaps are also good as they are meant for us riders and have some routes already mapped out with interesting stops to explore.

GaTeach
    I had a GPS and mount on my VStar but when I hooked up with Sweet Georgia, I didn't want to defile her good looks with that ugly-ass GPS. Moral of the story: I'm lost about 90% of the time now. And that's ok with me.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    I had a GPS and mount on my VStar but when I hooked up with Sweet Georgia, I didn't want to defile her good looks with that ugly-ass GPS. Moral of the story: I'm lost about 90% of the time now. And that's ok with me.
    +1...never lost if I still have fuel !!!!! For me that is almost the joy of riding..." where does this rode go????"
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    +1...never lost if I still have fuel !!!!! For me that is almost the joy of riding..." where does this rode go????"

That has been my motto for years and it drives my wife crazy---- As long as I have gas and time, I am not lost, just looking and enjoying the view!

Back to the question, I use both. I am now doing some home inspections and it requires some searching. My up to date Garmin will not find everything, but Apple maps and Google Maps and Wase will get them every time. It is very hard on the phone battery, though as was mentioned.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]