GPS vs. Cell Phone - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS vs. Cell Phone

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    I had a GPS and mount on my VStar but when I hooked up with Sweet Georgia, I didn't want to defile her good looks with that ugly-ass GPS. Moral of the story: I'm lost about 90% of the time now. And that's ok with me.
    +1 I'm with You, Teach. I don't want or need a GPS on my 6. A great part of the ride is adventure. Who wants some machine telling us where to turn, or do a U turn, etc. I can read a map if I need to get technical. Getting lost is totally fun. Seeing a road you've never been on, and asking yourself, "I wonder where that goes", and then taking the road, is my mindset each time I get on the road. And yes, I do get mixed up at times, but who cares? I still seem to get to my final destination. I suppose if I did much big city driving, it would be helpful, but I live in a rural area, and do my best to avoid the cities.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    +1 I'm with You, Teach. I don't want or need a GPS on my 6. A great part of the ride is adventure. Who wants some machine telling us where to turn, or do a U turn, etc. I can read a map if I need to get technical. Getting lost is totally fun. Seeing a road you've never been on, and asking yourself, "I wonder where that goes", and then taking the road, is my mindset each time I get on the road. And yes, I do get mixed up at times, but who cares? I still seem to get to my final destination. I suppose if I did much big city driving, it would be helpful, but I live in a rural area, and do my best to avoid the cities.

Like em or not, they can be very useful when necessary. Allow me to share a true story about me and 5 buddies on a tour in Southern Va a few years ago---I think it was 2010 or about that time period. They all rode Harleys and took pride in giving me grief about my GPS---true He Man types that love to callyou a sissy if you wear more than a half helmet. We stopped for gas after riding about 7 hours and the store where we stopped for gas was in the sticks on some forgotten highway and the electricity was off. We asked why and were told that storms had come through the night before. We had noticed trees down and debris while riding but didn't think much about it. While we were talking the power came back on and we were able to fuel up. His TV came on while we were paying and told us that another round of life threatening storms were on the way and after checking all of our weather radar apps, we determined we had about 30 minutes to take cover and find a motel as it was after 6 PM already. To this day, I enjoy reminding them that it was my ZUMO 450 that found us a motel----literally in the middle of nowhere and we were not inside more than 10 minutes when the storms came. The next day while eating breakfast the news reported a state of emergency was declared by the governor and that 8 people had died as a result of the storms within 70 miles of where we were. No map on the planet would have found this Mom and Pop place within 10 miles of where we were---in fact it was the only place---next closest was Farmville, Va over 30 miles away and we would have never made it.

A GPS is a lot like a gun--you don't need it until you need it and then when you need it, you need it really bad.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Since I started using Waze on my smartphone, I find the Zumo less and less necessary. I still use both devices depending on what I need to do. Like a few others, I do enjoy getting lost out in the "boonies" and then just telling my Zumo, "Take me home". And, as someone else mentioned, the Zumo is great for finding other attractions in the area.
    Ken (Hornblower)

If you lead trips, GPS is nearly a must. Larger screen and the ability to plan your route. Many times you will receive the wrath of a pack mentality should you find your self heading for a dead end or stumble across gravel rather than asphalt. I tried using my iPhone as a GPS tool on a trip and found that the screen was just undersized enough to warn me of the next turn late enough to throw everyone behind me into hard braking. It was after THAT ride I settled on a Zumo 660. Love the feel of confidence with others behind me, it's one less thing to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Hdnvn View Post
    If you lead trips, GPS is nearly a must. Larger screen and the ability to plan your route. Many times you will receive the wrath of a pack mentality should you find your self heading for a dead end or stumble across gravel rather than asphalt. I tried using my iPhone as a GPS tool on a trip and found that the screen was just undersized enough to warn me of the next turn late enough to throw everyone behind me into hard breaking. It was after THAT ride I settled on a Zumo 660. Love the feel of confidence with others behind me, it's one less thing to worry about
    Funny Steve this reminds me of someone?
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Great feedback and some points I hadn't considered.

Thanks

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdnvn View Post
    If you lead trips, GPS is nearly a must. Larger screen and the ability to plan your route. Many times you will receive the wrath of a pack mentality should you find your self heading for a dead end or stumble across gravel rather than asphalt. I tried using my iPhone as a GPS tool on a trip and found that the screen was just undersized enough to warn me of the next turn late enough to throw everyone behind me into hard braking. It was after THAT ride I settled on a Zumo 660. Love the feel of confidence with others behind me, it's one less thing to worry about
    Oh! Absolutely!

This fall I led a couple of GA PGR up to NC to a mission for a friend's uncle. We were sitting at a stoplight and the guy behind me said, "Hey Teach, I think we are supposed to turn left here." I said, "Hey! I'm the one f***** this chicken! I got this!" At the next stoplight, I busted out laughing and turned around to look at him. "Uhhhhh, I think we were supposed to turn left at the last stop light." He said, "No Teach, you keep doing what you're doing. I'm just back here holding the legs for you."

shooter
    Thats funny Teach. I rarely read anything that makes me laugh out loud. This did. Have a good day.