12V AC Fuse Blown
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12V AC Fuse Blown

12V AC Fuse Blown

Wondering what is the fuse amp rating on the 12V plug in? I plugged in a small air compressor to pump up the tires and blew the fuse. My mistake, should have read all the directions on the pump. what fuse am I looking for in the fuse box..a bit confused. My bad.:

RoughRider, the quick and easy solution to what ails you is: Hook up a Battery Tender harness, directly to the battery, and route the non-battery end of the harness to exit from under the seat to a place whwre it is easily accessible. Mine is located directly at the front end of the seat.

By doing this, you now have a port that goes directly to the battery, for....charging the bike in slow riding seasons...for hooking up your Gerbing Heated Clothing...and for hooking up your air compressor.

That one harness wiring set-up will service several different needs, without taxing any aux. fuse on the fuse panel.

I believe the answer is 5 amps ..... but Miles has a very good ideal there.... get some extra " ends " and you will be in great shape...

This is a start for for looking for the ends... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...SellerId=25480
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Hook up a Battery Tender harness

Interestingly my F6B was set up that way when I bought it off the showroom floor at Burt's Megamall.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Miles has a very good idea there....
    I agree, excellent idea. I have a couple of extra ends and will be modifying the little air pump to plug into my battery tender plug. The battery tender plug already has a in-line 5 amp fuse, easy access if it were to blow the fuse.

Thanks Miles!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    RoughRider, the quick and easy solution to what ails you is: Hook up a Battery Tender harness, directly to the battery, and route the non-battery end of the harness to exit from under the seat to a place whwre it is easily accessible. Mine is located directly at the front end of the seat.

By doing this, you now have a port that goes directly to the battery, for....charging the bike in slow riding seasons...for hooking up your Gerbing Heated Clothing...and for hooking up your air compressor.

That one harness wiring set-up will service several different needs, without taxing any aux. fuse on the fuse panel.
    Very true. I have an extension that plugs into the battery tender with a 12v outlet on the end. I think I might have got it at Camping World or Walmart, and it gives me all kinds of possibilities. Also, the battery tender has its own fuse. Easy to locate and replace. I mounted my outlet at the middle of the seat and it tucks out of sight under the seat when not in use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rough Rider, I was going to Edit my post, with more inclusions of info, but I see that others have added to the conversation, with eloquent prose.

As sted by others, the Battery Tender harness does have its' own inline fuse, and while some "say" it has a 5 amp fuse...I was thinking it was actually a 10 amp fuse. Either way, whatever size fuse it is...change it out to be a 10 amp fuse. Period !

Secondly, almost every motorcycle shop in North America now sells the Battery Tender JUNIOR. You want the Battery Tender...JUNIOR.
    I cannot emphasize that enough. The Battery Tender JUNIOR. It comes will all the cables and harness you need, and more. They usually cost about $ 35.00 +/-

I have 3 of these in my motorcycle garage, and another 2 of them in my shop. They work excellent, but most importantly...they do not fail like their big brother...the Battery Tender Plus does.

The OEM Honda power msource wire under the left pocket of the fairing is not a large enough gauge of wire, nor a large enough amp fuse rating to carry the laod of an air compressor, that yoyu were using it for. The Battery Tender JUNIOR wiring is a heavier gauge wire, and use a 10 amp fuse, and I can tell you...I have NEVER....EVER...had to replace the fuse on that inline harness on any of my bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahoo Whoyah View Post

Interestingly my F6B was set up that way when I bought it off the showroom floor at Burt's Megamall.

A lot of dealers are now seeing the benefits of having this battery tender hook-up already on the bikes, sitting on the showroom, so they can keep the serviced bikes up to full charge. Once the harness has been installed by the dealer, they find it easier and cheaper to simply leave it on the bike when it is sold. The dealers buy these additional harnesses by the gross, so they are cheaper for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Thanks Miles and Steve..great idea's.

Thanks to all you guys for the great info....