Mustang seat questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang seat questions

Mustang seat questions

I have a few questions on the Mustang seat. I have had good results from Ultimate seats on my Goldwings, but I am liking the idea that the Mustang seat might eliminate the need for a driver's backrest.

I am 6' and 32" or 33" inseam. Both knees have some arthritis, so need to reduce knee bend to less than 90 degrees if possible.

The Mustang pitch is that it moves the rider back 1" which should help with the knees.

For those who have the Mustang seat, have you found that it provides the same lower and mid-back support as seats with external backrests?

They also say they lower the seat some, which I don't need...and I wonder how that affects knee bend?

Any experience from similar-sized riders who use the Mustang seat would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

Your not going to like it.... Go Ultimate King.... JMHO
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I love my seat and find sitting "in" the saddle does provide some lower back support BUT I'm 6'0" and my knees are bent at much more of an angle than they were on the factory seat. It may move you back an 1" but seams more like down an inch.

I really like my Mustang BUT hate that there is no backrest. The lower position of the Mustang is great for me. 5"11

I put a Utopia in the Stock seat first. The went with a Mustang with the same hope as you. On my way to Daytona (from Connecticut) I had to position my travel bag so I had something to use as a backrest.

While in Daytona I went to Ultimate and tried their seat but was not happy with how I sat, soooo I now have a Utopia siting in a box and if I ever get time will mount it in the Mustang. Not an easy task but dickiedeals (another forum member here) sent me his install info and it is on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Your not going to like it.... Go Ultimate King.... JMHO
    Pretty hard to beat the quality of the Ultimate King. On my Goldwings, I installed risers to move the bars back to allow for the Ultimate King setback...but I really don't want to do this on the F6B unless absolutely necessary...same with Helibars...I want to leave the handlebars where they are.

I wonder how many 6' riders are using the Ultimate King with no pullback on the bars?
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

FYI:

Things to buy in the correct order or risk buying more stuff....

1. Windshield

2. Move handle bars is so inclined

3. Seat

4. Foot pegs
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
    Pretty hard to beat the quality of the Ultimate King. On my Goldwings, I installed risers to move the bars back to allow for the Ultimate King setback...but I really don't want to do this on the F6B unless absolutely necessary...same with Helibars...I want to leave the handlebars where they are.

I wonder how many 6' riders are using the Ultimate King with no pullback on the bars?

Over height has little to do with this decision... it is leg length. Some with 31+ inseam will feel cramped on the Mustang seat and their knees will
    begin to hurt them as will their lower back....same goes for folks with longer arms....JMO

Love my Mustang seat. 6' with 31" inseam. The lower and farther back riding position works well for me without the need to change the handlebar position. I like the lower back support provided by Mustang but it does little for mid back support. Every touring motorcycle I have owned before the F6B has had a backrest. I was concerned I would miss that mid back support with this motorcycle but the Mustang has been very comfortable to me without the addition of a taller backrest.

I do have Ergo II highway pegs to change my foot position but rarely use them.

Seats, handlebar positioning, and seats are very personal choices. For me, Mustang seat, stock handlebars, and an 18" F4 Customs windshield has been the perfect combination.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Over height has little to do with this decision... it is leg length. Some with 31+ inseam will feel cramped on the Mustang seat and their knees will
    begin to hurt them as will their lower back....same goes for folks with longer arms....JMO
    For me and what I tried.........I would disagree with the Mustang and being cramped. I tried the Ultimate and my knees were closer to the Fairing than on the Mustang. Also the Ultimate sat me very high where the Mustang was almost 2 in lower. I'm 5'11" and 34" inseam

Also... I would go for a seat before a windshield. I could go with a much lower setting on my Madstad shield with my Mustang seat, but the Ultimate was just a tad bit taller than stock seat and I had to raise it up much more.

I had swapped back and forth between the Mustang and Ultimate when I was in Daytona back in October.

I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam, I have a mustang on my VTX and have loved it for years. With B I want to try one as the 1" lower and back seems like it would be perfect. It's the cost on a gamble...Trying to buy a used one on ebay but people want new pricing for a used seat...