Garmin 660LM and 590LM owners - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garmin 660LM and 590LM owners

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Thanx. I'm probably going with the motorcycle larry clutch reservoir cover ram mount. For years I have always had a gps mounted on the left side. Is yours plugged into the bikes speakers with the cable in the l/s cubby box so you can listen via Aux?
    I wired the GPS into the AUX and "could" listen to directions or music stored in the GPS thru either the Bike speakers or my Helmet speakers.....BUT....I have all sounds turned off on my GPS. I use my GPS as a scrolling map and just keep an eye on where I am and where I'm going. I really don't like the voice commands.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Not sure if anyone has directly answered your question yet...the mounting kit that came with my Zumo 665 accepts a 1" ball. This is a standard RAM ball. With that, you can use any RAM mount style you like. I previously mounted mine on the left handlebar at the clutch but since have moved everything off the bars to a "farkle" shelf. It sure is nice to have everything off my bars .

Ken, thanks for the response. Since starting this thread, I have finally broken down and picked up a 590LM.

The bike cradle that comes with the 590 is designed to be attached to the (included) Ram 1" ball mount....or to any other Ram 1" ball plate mount you might want to mate it with (AMPS hole pattern).

Of course, the 590's also come with the Ram handlebar mount (a non-starter concept for me...but I've got one now should I ever change my mind...or my ride) and a car cradle with the Garmin suction cup mount. The suction cup windshield mount seems to be the standard issue mount which has come on every StreetPilot, Nuvi, and Zumo I've ever purchased (that number being something close to an even dozen now...a few more and I can start a museum).

For anyone who might have been following the original question which started us all down this road.....the "Garmin G-Ball" apparently IS the smaller sized ball which is on the suction cup windshield mounts and which snaps into the ball socket on the back of the car cradle. (Garmin calls the arrangement 'Snap-Lock'.)

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---