Map Holder?

Thread: Map Holder?

Map Holder?

Being one of the dinosauers around here, I,m not into electronic gizmos and such. I am looking for a map holder that will work on the "6" without interfering with the bars at full lock. I have tried to fabricate one from a map holder from a tankbag I had lying around but the bars hit it when turning. I want something to be positioned on top of the tank filler area that won't scratch the paint. I got used to using a tank bag on other bikes but don't see how one would work on the "6" without hindering the steering. I like paper maps and don't care to convert to GPS. Ideas anyone?

I'm also a dinosaur. I have a "tank bag" that I used on a previous cycle. It has a removable map protector, which was attatched with Velcro strips on the tank bag. I put 2 strips of Velcro on the removable cover for the gas tank on my 6, and attatch the map case to it. A person has to stop riding to re-fuel, eat, pee, or rest, when on a trip, so it is then, when I re-adjust the map and check my route. I also prefer maps to GPS, even though I know that GPS has many benefits. Most tank bags have removable map cases, so, check out a few.

Utopia Products map holder

I've been using this one for 2 years now. It works great.

$17.00.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

https://www.utpr.com/moreitems.html

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    I'm also a dinosaur. I have a "tank bag" that I used on a previous cycle. It has a removable map protector, which was attatched with Velcro strips on the tank bag. I put 2 strips of Velcro on the removable cover for the gas tank on my 6, and attatch the map case to it. A person has to stop riding to re-fuel, eat, pee, or rest, when on a trip, so it is then, when I re-adjust the map and check my route. I also prefer maps to GPS, even though I know that GPS has many benefits. Most tank bags have removable map cases, so, check out a few.
    That's a good idea and I've tried that with the removable map holder from a Bags Connection Tankbag. However it is too wide to avoid the bars when turning the front wheel from lock to lock and gets moved around. I may try to modify it some. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by miramiramira View Post
    I've been using this one for 2 years now. It works great.

$17.00.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

https://www.utpr.com/moreitems.html
    Hmmm, now that looks interesting. I may have to give it a try. Do you get any interference with the handlebars at all? Thanks!

I use a football wrist coach:

I write the turns on the paper insert. Makes it easier to take a quick look at my wrist and see what the next turn is! Quick and convenient, doesn't blow away, holds up in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    I use a football wrist coach:

I write the turns on the paper insert. Makes it easier to take a quick look at my wrist and see what the next turn is! Quick and convenient, doesn't blow away, holds up in the rain.
    Another kool idea! Thanks.

I use a middle size magnetic Road Gear map holder. I relocated 1 of the magnet sets lower/ center. I used 3 electrical box knock out plugs, held onto the glove box lid with 3M automotive trim tape. Yes the bars will hit it at full lock but does not dislodge it. ANY THING that touches / rides on the paint on this bike WILL remove the paint. This set up has been working for me for 30,000 miles. Has stayed in place at 115 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Hmmm, now that looks interesting. I may have to give it a try. Do you get any interference with the handlebars at all? Thanks!
    no, not really. It folds under when the handlebars go to full lock and I don't notice any resistance. I can lock the bars with no problem. I can make full lock turns.

vertical and horizontal. I typically use it horizontal.

Attachment 18751Attachment 18752

Quote Originally Posted by miramiramira View Post
    no, not really. It folds under when the handlebars go to full lock and I don't notice any resistance. I can lock the bars with no problem. I can make full lock turns.

vertical and horizontal. I typically use it horizontal.

Attachment 18751Attachment 18752
    OK, thanks for the pics. I'm either going to try one of these suggestions, or further modify the "Bags Connection" piece that I have. I like to tinker in the Winter to see what I can create.

Good suggestions guys!