Has anyone seen a video before and after for the motorcycle tire/car tire - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen a video before and after for the motorcycle tire/car tire

Nice post Bob, it tickles my bias confirmation!
    I have no technical pedigree to add to this conversation but I get the feeling that although the CT to MC rim connection is not optimal it is sufficient for normal operation.
    Maybe a MC tire would hold air better in extreme under-inflation state during pothole impacts?
    Regardless, the long and impassioned arguments against CT use would suggest instant failure or at least some failure, right?
    Perhaps a moderator could check to see if DS riders are simply disappearing from the forum and not relating their failures because they've been burned to a crisp.
    I'm still looking for a tractor tire that will fit the F6B. Maybe an aircraft landing gear tire?

shooter
    I'm thinking a fork truck tire with foam in it. In stead of a run flat it will be a no flat.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Nice post Bob, it tickles my bias confirmation!
    I have no technical pedigree to add to this conversation but I get the feeling that although the CT to MC rim connection is not optimal it is sufficient for normal operation.
    Maybe a MC tire would hold air better in extreme under-inflation state during pothole impacts?
    Regardless, the long and impassioned arguments against CT use would suggest instant failure or at least some failure, right?
    Perhaps a moderator could check to see if DS riders are simply disappearing from the forum and not relating their failures because they've been burned to a crisp.
    I'm still looking for a tractor tire that will fit the F6B. Maybe an aircraft landing gear tire?
    If my memory serves me right there has been a larger loss of "Dark Side Nay Sayers" on our Forum than actual Dark Siders. Those with the constant negativity about Dark Siding appear to have "culled" themselves from the herd. I have a directive in my will to be "cremated" but the Dark Side has yet to contribute to my"flaming demise"! With just shy of 100K miles of CT riding under my a$$ I should have been flamed numerous times over according to the critics. It's probably just luck

Ride Safe

bob109

I have done it on my 02 Goldwing and put over 10k mile on a Kumho tire and it never showed much wear. My new 15 F6 had 4k miles on the stock tires and the rear was wearing flat across the tread. So I purchased another black rear rim and on went another CT. This time a Bridgestone run flat and the only trick is finding the sweet spot for air pressure, other than that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference if you didn't look at it. To each his own on the subject and I won't try to convince anyone to do it but I will offer up my findings on the subject. Best I can say is to get a rim and a tire of choice and give it a go. Having another rim lets you change back easily if your not happy and somebody will absolutely buy your CT and rim from you.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

I just went darkside last week. Am using the Michelin Alpine and the only time that I can tell a difference is when I'm slowing do to a stop on a crowned road as the bike wants to lean towards the slope. I just go to the right and have no problems. So far I love the tire and will not change back. I still scrape the pegs with no problem and with the Alpine, you do not have to force it down, it leans naturally! As others have said, I decided to try it and believe that I will stay!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Many years ago when Big Dog Motorcycles broke onto the scene, they were using a huge rear car tire. Ultimately they had many law suits filed claiming the bikes wouldn't turn because of the wide flat tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Many years ago when Big Dog Motorcycles broke onto the scene, they were using a huge rear car tire. Ultimately they had many law suits filed claiming the bikes wouldn't turn because of the wide flat tire.

I could see where a car tire would be an issue on a Big Dog chopper.

Some of those rear tires (330mm) are very wide.... tough to get that sucker to lean over if it was "car tire squarish"

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I could see where a car tire would be an issue on a Big Dog chopper.

Some of those rear tires (330mm) are very wide.... tough to get that sucker to lean over if it was "car tire squarish"
    Plus a lot of the tires being used now have a rounded off edge, not squared off, and this makes it easier to lean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Plus a lot of the tires being used now have a rounded off edge, not squared off, and this makes it easier to lean.
    That's exactly what they did to rectify the issue.

The one time I ran into a gentleman riding a Goldwing with a rear car tire, and he started telling me how great it was, I just walked away. I'm sorry, no need to have a conversation with a gentleman who spent 30K on a Goldwing and decides to save money by putting car tires on it. Lets rock and roll in the twisties and we will see how good that car tire really is. Hell, go buy a trike if you love car tires. Sorry, just venting.