Finally Drank the Koolaid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Drank the Koolaid

Finally Drank the Koolaid

I finally pulled the trigger on a 15" Dark Gray Madstad today. It only took a Cee Bailey's, F4 Custom 20", Clearview Medium, National Cycle V-Stream, Baggershield 11/19 convertible, and a Clearview Large to arrive at the Madstad conclusion. Another conclusion I came to is I've spent way too much money on windshields over the last 10 months.

Based on owner's comments here, it will be the answer I've been searching for.

What made you pick the 15" one? If I was going to get the Madstadt; I would go no smaller than the 13" but I wonder if the 15" would be akin to a barn door.

I also noticed in your trials and errors; that you had both the Clearview medium AND large windshields. The large still didn't do it for you? How tall are you?

Reason why I ask, is that I am still going through the windshield decision making process(s) and am not sure if changing out my current Clearview medium to a large; is the answer myself...

I still am trying to get my head around the ugliness of the Madstadt though.... maybe I'll get through that...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I,m 6ft3 and My 13in Madstad is just rite.

Same here I'm 6'1" and I have the 13 and it's set all the way down.

I have also been through a Tall Honda Windshield----- then Clearview w Vent----- then changed to 11" Madstad that was good but not for New England winters. I was headed to Datona for Biketoberfest in October and the knew the 11" wouldn't have the wind protection for the 2300 mile round trip ride, so I picked up a V Stream Goldwing shield and drilled it to fit the F6B. That was great for the trip BUT a pain to swap back and forth, so when I got home I ordered a Madstad 15".
    So now I put a 15" on for the cold and the 11 for the summer. It is only 4 screws and in minutes changed out.

Some guys get it right away, others (like me) have to pee on the electric fence to figure it out for ourselves.

I spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women,, the rest I just wasted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

I think mine is the 15"... Had a guy call ne the other day about a shield tried to lead him to the Madstad...told him to come get my bike and test it out....oh well !!!!!

No question it is butt ugly, no question it is the best shield out there !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    What made you pick the 15" one? If I was going to get the Madstadt; I would go no smaller than the 13" but I wonder if the 15" would be akin to a barn door.

I also noticed in your trials and errors; that you had both the Clearview medium AND large windshields. The large still didn't do it for you? How tall are you?

Reason why I ask, is that I am still going through the windshield decision making process(s) and am not sure if changing out my current Clearview medium to a large; is the answer myself...

I still am trying to get my head around the ugliness of the Madstadt though.... maybe I'll get through that...
    I hear you on the looks factor. That's what made me try all the others first. At this point, I'm going for function over fashion. I'm 6' and I think my Ultimate seat raises me up just a bit over the stocker. Madstad recommends the 15" for 6'1" and above.

Both Clearview's I tried had the recurve but I still would get quite a bit of buffeting when riding. Especially on windy days which in Oklahoma is more often than not.

Speaking of barn doors, the 20" F4 Custom shield I tried was close to a barn door.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by okf6b View Post
    I hear you on the looks factor. That's what made me try all the others first. At this point, I'm going for function over fashion. I'm 6' and I think my Ultimate seat raises me up just a bit over the stocker. Madstad recommends the 15" for 6'1" and above.

Both Clearview's I tried had the recurve but I still would get quite a bit of buffeting when riding. Especially on windy days which in Oklahoma is more often than not.

Speaking of barn doors, the 20" F4 Custom shield I tried was close to a barn door.
    Ultimate seat definitely raises you up. Maybe as much as an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by okf6b View Post

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I am sold on the 15"

Experience buffeting with the medium Clearview @ high speeds; and I am not going (though I love the look) of the large Clearview to negate that; on an assumption that it may work.

So just have to pull the trigger on the Madstadt.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Shooter... please post pictures of your stock OEM seat -vs- Ultimate seat; so I can get an idea of the driver seat area between the two.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537