15 Dollars an Hour - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 15 Dollars an Hour

I was at a dinner part just this last week where this exact topic came up. I was the only person at the table that though it was ridiculous that a pimpled faced kid, or part time retiree makes almost as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Laugh all you want...they will vote in Berney then what....
    No laughing here. Just a veil of sadness... our future is in the hands of idiots. Whom will vote in idiots.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

10 ounces of Silver or a Chocolate Bar?

You think you've seen uneducated? This absolutely astounds me! Silver is worth $15.30 an ounce today and rising. $153.00 and exchangeable right there behind them at the coin shop. He even offers to verify it to one of the buffoons. A $2.00 chocolate bar!?! What is the world coming to?

I been hiring people for years for our plant. None of this surprises me. I think everyone deserves a living wage for reasonable work but in all honesty, the quality of applicants is sadly lacking among those even willing to work. Then you get the entitlement attitude, and attendance / punctuality issues. IF I could automate all of the people out of the processes I would! Sadly people are the biggest problem across the board.

Who do you blame, the kids or the $60,000 a year teachers? Or maybe it's the over educated school administrators who pull down more than $100,000 a year. Who really didn't earn their pay the kid who probably never heard the terminology "half dozen" or the educator who was too busy teaching trigonometry (that I've never used since school) to teach basic day to day terminology.
    As far as $15 hr goes; I retired 8 years ago and was starting to get a little bored so I went looking for a job more for entertainment and socializing then money. What I found was the nearest available jobs were 26 miles from my house. Which meant I would be burning almost 4 gallons of gas or about $15 (at the time) just to commute. That meant I would be working the first hour and a half for nothing. The second hour and a half paid the federal tax man and the third hour fed the state tax man. In the end I would be working 8 hours for 4 hours pay. So at the $ 10 hr they offered me meant my take home would be $40 a day or less than what I was paid for an hour on my last job. I decide my day was better spent working on my bike and surfing the web; sort of like what our teenagers do today. Unfortunately we really don't learn as much useful information on a computer as we think. Worse yet the kids today become so disillusioned they just don't care or see a future.
    IMHO the real problem today stems from the average family earning $53 k a year.
    To prove my point I'll use a car as an example. When I graduated and entered the workforce a nice car had a sticker price of about $2700.00 and I started out making $11,000 a year. The car cost only 25% of my income. Today with an average family income of $53 k it cost one half of a families annual income. That same example could be used for a pound of butter.
    Not long ago the American worker was the highest paid worker in the world. Today we are in the twenties!! And it all feeds up.

shooter
    Bob you can't expect the schools to raise the kids. I come from a family of teachers. I'm telling you its the parents fault. They believe little Johnny is perfect and they have no rules and don't check to see he does his homework and don't help him. When my kids were in school I was at the kitchen table every night helping with homework. I raised a nurse and an IT geek/ SharePoint Administrator. Both those kids are hard workers and have no problem keeping a job. They both make good money. I spent thousands of hours helping those kids. I would do it again in a heartbeat. No , it all starts and ends at home.

kid one asked me what the time was,

Answered him" quarter of"
    he then looked at me and said, what's that?
    I asked him how old he was, he proudly said "eighteen"
    then I showed him my analog watch, with no numbers, he could not read it, then stormed away, saying all he wanted to know was the damn time....

We are doomed.

Is 1/2 a dozen new math?

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

I think a huge problem is single parent households. Mostly absentee fathers. Teachers aren't perfect, I have no affiliation, but it's definitely a home/discipline problem. They don't know basic things. My 32 year old son even mentioned it to me last week. I learned a lot from my father with his business and all. I try to pass it on. That isn't there anymore.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Bob you can't expect the schools to raise the kids. I come from a family of teachers. I'm telling you its the parents fault. They believe little Johnny is perfect and they have no rules and don't check to see he does his homework and don't help him. When my kids were in school I was at the kitchen table every night helping with homework. I raised a nurse and an IT geek/ SharePoint Administrator. Both those kids are hard workers and have no problem keeping a job. They both make good money. I spent thousands of hours helping those kids. I would do it again in a heartbeat. No , it all starts and ends at home.
    You get no argument from me on the importance of parents. Today with addition of so many single parents trying to make it on $10 Hr. Is it any wonder parents have to be working 60 - 80 hr work weeks and have little time to parent. Somebodies got to do the laundry
    However, I was raised in a family that had 2 working parents working hard to pay the bills. I can't remember ever getting any help from them on my school work.
    The one thing I did have going for me was the school system I attended and the teachers I had. They made sure my homework was done and I understood the work at hand. And this was at a time when the WW II baby boomers were in the schools, 34 in a class was the norm not the exception.
    True my parents insisted I follow the "college prep" curriculum through high school that was their dream. Those teachers of the time had me so trained that I was bored for the first 2 years of Rutgers. It seemed like a review of my last 2 years of high school.
    My last job was working in a school system upgrading to Windows 2000 and upgrading their entire systems. I worked on problem computers in class rooms. where I witnessed 1st grade teachers with PhD's pulling down $100,000 + a year supervising coloring book classes. The coloring books were bad enough but if I told you what was on those computers you'd understand my stand on why our kids are so dumb.