15 Dollars an Hour - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 15 Dollars an Hour

shooter
    Guys I'm not trying to talk bad about anybody or their kids. A lot of the problems can be attributed to society. Kids in the city that don't participate in after school activities have nothing to occupy their time. Other than managing a small farm for a neighbor or working for my Dad I didn't have an official job till I was 19. My Dad worked long hours at his business and he depended on me to take care of the cattle , hogs , horses , chickens , and the dogs. Every day after school I came straight home to my job. During the summer I had grass to mow and a big garden to care for also. I enjoyed it. I liked working with the animals. It just seemed normal. I believe most kids would benefit from being raised on a farm. There is no shame if your kids didn't turn out the way you wanted. You can only do your best. Sometimes it just don't work out. I know we have enough deadbeats in our family. My Dad has two sisters and a brother. About half of my cousins and their kids are useless. I have one cousin that is 50 that has never had a taxpaying job. Instead he has mooched off his dad his whole life. No guys , it is all around us. I think that for those of us that are over 55 it is the most apparent. And like Stro said , don't ever stop trying to encourage your children. Maybe some day it will "click". Notice I said in my post above basically if you have raised your kids to be productive citizens that you have beat the odds. Its tough now days. Schools don't allow prayer and they burn the flag in campuses across the country. If you don't respect God and Country , what is left. God bless America and say a prayer for our kids.

My son was brought up in a split home, but I was always there and he knows that. That's one thing I mentioned earlier. So many kids today don't have their father. In my case, hey, he chose to be lazy and he hasn't changed much. I'll go out knowing I was there at least. He's a good kid. It's the lazy that gets me. Don't know where it came from...his mother! Ya, that's where!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

shooter
    Duke , I guess I was lucky. Both of my kids were out of high school when the wife and I split. Trevor was just entering the workforce. My ex was a hard worker so the kids had a lot of positive reinforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Duke , I guess I was lucky. Both of my kids were out of high school when the wife and I split. Trevor was just entering the workforce. My ex was a hard worker so the kids had a lot of positive reinforcement.
    I won't get into my ex...most would think I was bitter...my son knows. We split when he was 1-1/2, so he doesn't know the difference. He saw right through her at a young age. I'll keep my mouth shut about the rest of the story.

The wife and I have a 33 year old that started stealing at 7 and has never quit. He's been locked up for at least half of his life. He chose the drugs and stealing path for himself. Had 1000 chances and blew 1001 of them. We're hard working and always have had a job. We set a good example for him to follow but I guess the temptation was to much. He's in the pen now for what I don't even know. It's all lies anyway from him. Bottom line....he's still our son and maybe one day he'll understand but I wouldn't bet my bike on it.

No guys, I did not get arrested for the $2 bill thing. The cops explained to the kid it was legal tender. Hopefully he learned something.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyarddog View Post
    The wife and I have a 33 year old that started stealing at 7 and has never quit. He's been locked up for at least half of his life. He chose the drugs and stealing path for himself. Had 1000 chances and blew 1001 of them. We're hard working and always have had a job. We set a good example for him to follow but I guess the temptation was to much. He's in the pen now for what I don't even know. It's all lies anyway from him. Bottom line....he's still our son and maybe one day he'll understand but I wouldn't bet my bike on it.

No guys, I did not get arrested for the $2 bill thing. The cops explained to the kid it was legal tender. Hopefully he learned something.
    MTV psychology will have your kids fully believing you are the blame and no other device, source or person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Unfortunately stro, you're probably right. I just know we did our best and I can be OK with that.

shooter
    And that's just the way it is sometimes dog. You see it every day. My best friend in school ended up that way. I renewed my ccw last week and I was in the sheriffs office. His picture is on the bulletin board as one of our counties 10 most wanted. His mom and dad are great people. They are well to do and it just kills them. I can't believe he is 56 years old and still doing that stuff. Guy had it made and screwed it up. 40 years later he's still screwing up. Its a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    MTV psychology will have your kids fully believing you are the blame and no other device, source or person.
    A good rehab (or not) and a good 12 step group will make it clear whose the fault is, who can get him straight, and who has to continue to take responsibility for his behavior and who has to make restitution to people he hurt. WHO=HIM

any shrink worth their salt will tell him they have limited ability to help without his doing those things...unfortunately a lot of shrinks aren't worth their salt!

Junkyard- there is nothing more painful to see someone you love go down the tubes and realize you are powerless to do anything...other than what you have done...cut them loose and love them! Hopefully the story isn't over yet...I've seen unbelievable recovery. Good luck to you.

Back to the OP for a minute....it happened again tonight.

I swear I do this for entertainment purposes only. BK for supper. Bill comes to $9.18. I tell the kid that I don't want a pocket full of change, so I'll give you .23, along with a ten dollar bill, and get back a nickel for the change.....yup, just got the nickel back. I tell him, hey, you still owe me a dollar. He had to get the manager to open the drawer again.