Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. - Page 14

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet?

Voters
596. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always wear one!

476 79.87%
  • I sometimes wear one!

93 15.60%
  • I never wear one!

27 4.53%
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes.

With the right helmet, riding is MORE enjoyable than going without one.

On hot sunny days the helmet and tinted visor keeps the sun off my head and out of my eyes. I can go with a hat and sunglasses but you'll always encounter just the right buffeting that'll wanna blow your hat off and knock your shades sideways.

On cool rainy days the helmet keeps me dry and the bullet rain drops off my face.

However, the ride to the beach, cruising, or getting groceries is a non-helmet affair.

wearing a helmit

when I was 14 my friends mother rolled off a the back of a rigid framed Harley shovelhead motorcycle while riding double with a member of the saintant slaves motorcycle club on the 405 fwy.......a semi truck truck ran over her head killing her instantly......leaving five children.......another friend of mine simply fell over while stopped at a light, wacking his head on the ground resulting I severe head trauma.....he has the mind of a child now........my best friends son crashed his bike in the canyon....he had a full face helmit on.....he was in a comma for two weeks......three years ago some kid showed up at our camp out ........hung around the bon fire telling us all how great it was now that he finally got a bike....he was wearing one of those thin little chicken shit half helmits .......a week later he ceterepunched a car being driven by an illeagle alien making an illeagle uturn over a double yellow line killing him instantly........his brother told me that his head looked like a pile of bloody mashed potatoes when he identified the body...........six of my friends have been killed on motorcycles........I wear a helmit......always........

About 6:50 a.m. Wednesday, Leader was driving a motorcycle west on State Highway 59, about one mile west of Wewoka city limits in Seminole County.

Campbell was a passenger.

Leader struck a deer that was standing in the roadway, and he and Campbell were ejected from the motorcycle. They were not wearing helmets, troopers said.

Happened this morning, would they have survived wearing helmets? We'll never know.

The arguing to wear a helmet or not reminds me of discussions my older friends hand, when companies introduced ABS in motorcycles. The hardcore bikers all hated it and blamed it to even make the breaking distance longer.
    Then the instructors showed the sport bikers how much advantage und higher security is given by ABS and the first bikes in the MotoGP and on the Isle of Man made victories. So there was a change in their mind... and today noone would ever by a bike without ABS in Germany. Everyone even would like to have the new ABS from the Company BOSCH that makes it even safer to make a full breaking while cornering. The system is only available for the KTM Adventure 1190 and since a few weeks also for a sports bike from BMW. This will be the next thing every bike will have in a few years.

There were the same discussions in the 70's to wear or not to wear a seat belt in the car. Today nobody even thinks about not wearing a seat belt... he also wants to have at least 5 airbags and the most modern pre-crash safety systems. (At least in Germany.)

Don't get me wrong, i am not judging, i just want to tell you, how different thinking can be if you go over the ocean

In a german bike board the members are arguing about to wear or not to wear protective gear if driving 500 meters to a Star Bucks. About 80% of them would call everybody driving in normal jeans totally crazy.

That's Germany. But just go 700 miles down to Italy at the ocean. You see driving them in muscle shirts and short trousers on sport bikes and that's ok for them. Every german seeing this would only shake his head

Attachment 9138

So different can be peoples mind.
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim

That picture is registering on the Gaydar

Another good read....thanks.

Even though helmets are compulsory in this country, it's been interesting reading about what fits or doesn't in the panniers. I'm picking my B up in a couple of weeks and have been looking around for some new gear to go with it. Everything I've seen to date on the B suggests that the bags take helmets, when now I know they might take some. I'll now shop prudently for a helmet that'll fit in the bag when I'm off the bike.

I guess my next question is does the B have an external helmet lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Spewey Griffin View Post
    Yes, it's on the left side on the passengers handle bar. I use it often.
    Karim

Thanks Kurare79

Quote Originally Posted by Spewey Griffin View Post

Something I use to lock my full face helmet when I wear it, (sometimes I wear a open face helmet), is a carabiner with a combination lock. Bought it online for about $13. I can secure the helmet to the passenger grab handles by the d-rings in the helmet strap. This works well and leaves the helmet secure. I'm also planning on getting a cable so I can lock my jacket and helmet together if I want to walk around somewhere and leave those items on the bike. Just some food for thought.

@Kirkster: That's exactly the way i do it, when we are going on big tour and the saddle bags are full

Attachment 9176
    Karim