Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. - Page 16

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet?

Voters
596. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always wear one!

476 79.87%
  • I sometimes wear one!

93 15.60%
  • I never wear one!

27 4.53%
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
    I feel that it's only a matter of time before the insurance lobbyists and the law makers pass helmet laws for highway money the same as they did seat belt laws.
    I need to figure out how to go through life blaming everything on the government, too. It must be liberating.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    For those of you that don't believe in helmets go to m109r forums , General topics and click on Rockfordrider goes down hard. Scroll down till you find pics of his injuries. He was pulling out of a parking lot. Barely moving. Helmet on and he would have walked away. The site will let visitors view this. Food for thought.
    I wasn't able to find a description of what caused the accident or any details, went through about seven pages of posts. Where did they discuss the accident?

The pictures are pretty bad. If I understand correctly, he was towing a trailer -- with an M109???

shooter
    Pulling out if a parking lot or station turned and got on it a little and lost it us the way I understood. Something about the trailer whipped around making the situation worse. It was very low speed. Dave had pulled this trailer thousands of miles and was an excellent rider.

A saying that has stuck with me over the years:

Everybody crashes at some point. Some ride again--some don't---some can't.

Motorcycle riding is a life changing experience for a lot of people-- not always for the good. A very sad and true fact. I have a friend that bought his first bike and crashed before he got home. It literally cost him his right arm--all the way up to his shoulder--HIS FIRST RIDE. My last crash was at at 22 years of age in September 1977--still remember it well because of MY STUPIDITY. Got up, straightened out a few things and rode home. Road rash and tore up my best jeans and sprained my knee. Best education at a small price I ever had.

Stack the deck as much as you can in your favor.

helmets have got me this far

I bought my first motorcycle in 1964, the day after I got my license in Idaho at 15 years old. I had been riding since 10 years old on my parent's farm. I started racing flat track and cross country -desert races at age 16 and a basic 3/4 helmet literally saved my life 3 times during the 10 years I raced.
    Gave up on the dirt bike racing at age 26 and started to ride road bikes. Have had about 17 road bikes in the last 40 years.....always wore a helmet, because I know what it is to fly over the bars, head first, assholes and elbows, and view your life story flash by....before you hit something....
    My latest helmet SAVE was in July of 2008....had a basic 3/4 helmet and goggles on, plus leathers and gloves....got off at 50 MPH on pavement....the pavement wore the right side of helmet flat down through the fiberglass, tore off the shield/visor snaps on that side...but stayed on my head I didn't even lose my goggles or glasses as I rolled down the road....didn't bleed a drop....no marks
    But the landing wasn't good for a 58 year old body....3 broken ribs, a punctured lung and 30 K worth of titinium hardware in my lower back....but, I would have toast without that old brain bucket...
    I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the 16 days in the hospital, my daughter wedding 2 weeks later, and every things that's happened since then....
    I had to take 18 months off to rehab...before I bought a new VTX in Feb of 2010 ( 52,000 mi)
    and then I got my 2013 F6B in July of 2014....which is the best road bike I've ever owned....

Obviously....I wear a helmet 100% of the time. The way I see it....people riding a motorcycle without a helmet have never been "over the bars"...and are waiting for their first, and maybe their last, get-off...

My wife and I wear our helmets only sometimes. Close friends of ours wrecked last month on their bike when someone pulled out in front of them. You might know them. Hambly434 and wife. After seeing their scraped up helmets we have decided to always wear our helmets. I've heard people say "You have a legal right to bounce your head off the blacktop anywhere you want in Illinois". I used to find that humorous until it hit a little closer to home!!

Quote Originally Posted by austin_tech View Post
    I need to figure out how to go through life blaming everything on the government, too. It must be liberating.
    This is exactly what happened here in Ohio. The state was threatened by loss of federal highway money unless they passed a seat belt law. The insurance lobby will soon figure out a way to get helmet laws passed. And yes it is liberating
    When a Man Lies He Murders
    Some Part of the World
    These Are the Pale Deaths Which
    Men Miscall Their Lives
    All this I Cannot Bear
    to Witness Any Longer......

Schuberth's new helmet is pretty hot !!!

http://www.schuberth.de/M1/?lang=en
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Bell Mag 9 Sena is one of my favorites

Bathing, shopping, libertine sex... I never remove my helmet.
    ss^,
    Ken