Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. - Page 23

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet?

Voters
596. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always wear one!

476 79.87%
  • I sometimes wear one!

93 15.60%
  • I never wear one!

27 4.53%
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    For most of us that wear helmets; I have a question....

...do any of you also wear a "dew rag" underneath it?
    No dew rags here.
    I have a fan in my garage that I can sit my helmet on when I am done riding.
    If it gets really funky I snap all the liners out, and toss them in the washing machine

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I wear baseball hats the right way and that's about it. I wash the liners a couple times a season.
    Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    I'm a helmet guy, too. Most quality helmets have removable inner parts that can be cleaned/washed. I suppose, the amount of sweating differs from each persons "body" and the temps they ride in. I wear a Shoei Neotec, and it gets hot at slow speeds, but seems ok at hyway cruising, but does need occasional cleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericb445 View Post
    No dew rags here.
    I have a fan in my garage that I can sit my helmet on when I am done riding.
    If it gets really funky I snap all the liners out, and toss them in the washing machine
    Yep. I know most helmet liners and cheek pads are removable just for that. Have cleaned them a few times myself in the past. Can be quite a repetitious chore though; especially in the summer if you are riding a lot in the heat; so dew rags do help somewhat.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I do the do.. But only because the hygiene side of things and I don't like a sweaty clammy helmet..

First of all, Mass has a helmet law...the only state in the area that does, so no choice there. Not new news, but I got hit by a cager in April 2014, and my helmet hit the road. I always wore one before that and always will, no matter what.
    Your neighbor here in NY wears a helmet 100% of the time, and it is required by law. However, I would wear one 100% of the time regardless of where I lived.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Your neighbor here in NY wears a helmet 100% of the time, and it is required by law. However, I would wear one 100% of the time regardless of where I lived.
    Ok, I wasn't aware of NY rules. I'm full gear all the time. I hit the pavement once and it saved my butt.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Ok, I wasn't aware of NY rules. I'm full gear all the time. I hit the pavement once and it saved my butt.
    Yup, me too. Full-face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, steel-toed riding boots and armored pants (about 1/2 the time - I just love riding in jeans - I know the risk). I sometimes where a leather jacket when it is cold.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

After you posted about your helmet law, I laughed to myself. I don't think of NY as a neighboring state. I live near the Cape and it's far away from me. I know RI, CT, NH and I think VT all have no helmet laws....not sure of ME. Very nice riding in the eastern part of the state, horse country. I do a lot of riding in CT and have ventured out a little bit.

After you posted about your helmet law, I laughed to myself. I don't think of NY as a neighboring state. I live near the Cape and it's far away from me. I know RI, CT, NH and I think VT all have no helmet laws....not sure of ME. Very nice riding in the eastern part of the state, horse country. I do a lot of riding in CT and have ventured out a little bit.
    MA along with RI, CT, VT, NH and ME are always boxed in together as New England states...NY, PA, NJ, MD, DE often boxed in as mid-Atlantic. Where I live (near Rochester) we are more closely aligned with the mid-west than the east coast. Like Massachusetts, New York is quite a diverse state. We have both the least densely populated county east of the Mississippi (Hamilton - 5,000 people - 3 people per square mile) and the most densely populated (New York County - 70,000 per square mile).

I have been to the Cape once ... and it definitely is a long drive. We stayed with friends in Hyannis. We left at 5:00am (to beat off Cape traffic) and didn't get back to Rochester until 1:00pm.

I would like to return - just not in the summer months! Tell me when traffic and tourist numbers start to drop and I will take your advice before a return visit.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    MA along with RI, CT, VT, NH and ME are always boxed in together as New England states...NY, PA, NJ, MD, DE often boxed in as mid-Atlantic. Where I live (near Rochester) we are more closely aligned with the mid-west than the east coast. Like Massachusetts, New York is quite a diverse state. We have both the least densely populated county east of the Mississippi (Hamilton - 5,000 people - 3 people per square mile) and the most densely populated (New York County - 70,000 per square mile).

I have been to the Cape once ... and it definitely is a long drive. We stayed with friends in Hyannis. We left at 5:00am (to beat off Cape traffic) and didn't get back to Rochester until 1:00pm.

I would like to return - just not in the summer months! Tell me when traffic and tourist numbers start to drop and I will take your advice before a return visit.
    You said it...off season. Sept Oct isn't too bad. My son lives in Hyannis...hates tourists lol

You said it...off season. Sept Oct isn't too bad. My son lives in Hyannis...hates tourists lol
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6