Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. - Page 4

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet?

Voters
596. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always wear one!

476 79.87%
  • I sometimes wear one!

93 15.60%
  • I never wear one!

27 4.53%
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes.

Another AZ rider here, no helmet required for adults. I always wear a helmet. With the wind noise from the stock low shield so pronounced I couldn't hardly hear my tunes so I did some research and bought a Shoei GT air, at 650 bucks it was the most expensive lid I've every purchased, sad to say despite the reports of it being very quiet, still too much wind noise, I just got a taller shield, problem solved. My other helmet has the speakers inside, so that is really nice too. Rode mostly MX in my younger days, wouldn't ever ride the dirt without a helmet, assfault is much less forgiving on your skull than dirt.

I've worn one since before state law mandated it.
    I wear it even in states that don't make you wear it.
    I'm an MSF instructor and I teach to it.

When I jousted with a mini-van that turned left in front of me in a 40 mph zone, I was fully geared up and wearing a full face (like I aways do) - I was unhorsed in that joust.
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Not a choice here in NC. In other states, where allowed, I will still wear the helmet since head injury is the most likely fatal injury.
    Most motorcycle fatalities are attributable to major blunt force trauma of the chest and abdomen.
    Only surgeons with an addiction to spandex say they labor 30 hrs. a day, nine days a week putting our skulls back together.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DI2D View Post
    Most motorcycle fatalities are attributable to major blunt force trauma of the chest and abdomen.
    Only surgeons with an addiction to spandex say they labor 30 hrs. a day, nine days a week putting our skulls back together.
    I know this is not a debate, but I disagree. #1 cause of MC fatality is head injury. If you have information stating otherwise, please share it with the group.

Quote Originally Posted by 4DI2D View Post
    Learn something new every day

Motorcycle Accident Statistics And Possible Causes

The Facts
    According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars.

In 2006, 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in highway accidents alone.

In 2006, 4,810 motorcyclists were killed in road accidents.

11 percent of all roadway accidents that occur in the United States involve motorcycles.

Head injury is the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes.

A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 40 percent more likely to die of a head injury than one who wears a helmet.

A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 15 percent more likely to suffer a nonfatal injury than one who wears a helmet.

It is estimated that helmets reduce the likelihood of a crash fatality by 37 percent.

In 2007, a total of 7.1 million motorcycles were registered in the U.S.

In 2005, the motorcycle fatality rate was 73 per 100,000 registered motorcycles; meanwhile, the passenger vehicle fatality rate in the same year was 14 per 100,000 registrations.

Motorcycle use is growing disproportionately to fatality growth. For instance, in 1997 there were 3,826,373 motorcycles registered in the U.S. and 2,116 motorcycle fatalities. In 2005, there were 6,227,146 motorcycles registered in the U.S. and 4,810 motorcycle fatalities. So, between 1997 and 2005, registrations grew 63 percent while fatalities more than doubled.

A 2009 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s Highway Loss Data Institute report found that:

More than half of motorcyclist deaths involved at least one other vehicle.
    42 percent of two-vehicle fatal motorcycle crashes involved a vehicle turning left while the motorcycle was going straight, passing, or overtaking the vehicle.
    A little less than half of all motorcycle driver deaths involved no other vehicle.
    Of the 1,791 motorcycle deaths that involved only the motorcyclist
    48 percent were speeding.
    42 percent had blood alcohol concentrations of 0.08 percent or higher.
    655,000 motorcycles were purchased, a decrease from 1.1 million in 2008.
    Possible Causes Of A Motor Vehicle Accident
    Poor weather conditions;

Not utilizing a turn signal;

Lane splitting, i.e. when a motorcyclist drives between two lanes;

Ignoring traffic conditions;

Ignoring traffic signs;

Disobeying speed limitations;

Driving on the wrong side of the road;

Not seeing a motorcyclist due to glare or other view obstructions;

Inexperienced motorists;

Driving while under the influence of drugs;

Vehicle defects;

Roadway defects;

Intentional hostile actions

However, the primary reason for motorcycle accidents is that motorcycles offer little protection when a collision occurs. Although helmets can save lives, motorcyclists have little else to rely on should a crash occur.

Helmet Statistics
    According to the Governor’s Highway Safety Administration (GHSA), wearing helmets is the single best way to prevent motorcycle accident fatalities, with a rate 0f 37% for riders and 41% for passengers.

In 2008, 43% of all victims that were fatally injured in a motorcycle accident were not wearing helmets.

In 2009, 44% of all victims fatally injured in a motorcycle accident were not wearing helmets.

NHTSA determined that at least 1,829 lives were saved in 2008 because riders were wearing helmets, and an additional 822 victims would have lived had they used a helmet.

According to the Department of Transportation, only the District of Columbia and 19 states mandate universal helmet laws, even though research have proven that helmet use is the easiest way to help saves lives during a motorcycle accident.

Seven states have repealed the universal helmet law since 1997: Texas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Florida, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, and Michigan.

According to GHSA, helmet use drops significantly when helmet use is repealed.

Fatalities increased in all seven states that repealed helmets laws, with Louisiana coming in 1st with a fatality increase of 108%.

In 2004, nationwide helmet use increased. As a result, motorcycle accident fatality rates drastically decreased.

Alcohol And Motorcycle Accident Statistics
    According to NHTSA, in 2010, a total of 29% of fatal motorcycle accidents involved riders with a blood alcohol level above the legal nationwide limit, .08.

In 2005, one in every three motorcycle accidents was a result of riding under the influence of alcohol.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), older adults between the ages of 40 through 44 have had increased alcohol-related motorcycle accidents. However, young adults between the ages of 20 through 24 still lead as the age group with the most alcohol-related motorcycle crashes.

In 2006, close to 4% of all victims involved in a fatal motorcycle accident had at least one prior alcohol-related conviction. Only 2.9% of car drivers involved in fatal accidents had prior convictions.

Speeding And Motorcycle Accident Statistics
    According to the NHTSA, 37% of all motorcycle accidents in 2006 involved speeding.

In 2008, 35% of all fatal motorcycle accidents were the result of speeding.

Close to half of all motorcycle accidents do not involve another vehicle. Instead, speeding was the main contribution. Of the other half of motorcycle accidents which involve another vehicle, speeding is one of the leading factors of accidents as well.

GHSA has determined that stronger law enforcement in high-target areas for motorcycle speeding will likely reduce motorcycle accidents.

Motorcyclists speeding while not wearing protective gear, such as helmets, more than double their risk of a potential fatal motorcycle accident.

All Content © 2013 | MotorcycleAccident.org

Lotsa ways to be injured/killed.

Hard to do at times, but we all need to BE SAFE.

kInda suprised at the role speeding had in accidents. Don't want to stereotype, but some Sports riders just don't feel like they are if they are anywhere near the posted speed limits,,, Some are just 'asking' for a mishap,,,

(Can't throw any stones in my own glass house,,, I was no angel when I was younger, still haven't earned many feathers, let alone any wings,,)

Odd note,,, A couple years ago, I was on my way to a MSF course,,, Sport bike passed me at 80+ mph (in a 65). I recognized the bike/riding jacket,,,

It was our Instructor!

Statisics

What I can't figue out is:

In 2008, 43% of all victims that were fatally injured in a motorcycle accident were not wearing helmets.

In 2009, 44% of all victims fatally injured in a motorcycle accident were not wearing helmets.

So that means 57% and 56% of fatally injured victims WERE wearing helmets. So wouldn't you have better odds without a helmet?

How do they factor in how many riders wear helmets or not or sometimes and how many miles they ride with or without?
    How many (that died) wearing helmets are wearing a beanie vs. a DOT approved helmet.

Like I said before I believe in choice. My choice is 100% helmet, 100% of the time.

RE; So that means 57% and 56% of fatally injured victims WERE wearing helmets. So wouldn't you have better odds without a helmet?

Nope. Just means the majority of folks are wearing helmets.

If 50% wore and 50% didn't, it might seem that way,,,

Another view: If 80% of folks wear a helmet, and if helmets made no difference as to the cause of death, 80% of the fatalities would have been wearing helmets, not <80%.

Someone posted that most fatalities were from chest and abdominal injuries. I didn't think that was true and one google search found that I was right. I posted the whole thing for the heck of it. Interesting stats for sure.

Do people post misinformation on purpose? Hard to tell sometimes.