Shoei GT AIR
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoei GT AIR

Shoei GT AIR

Anyone using a Shoei GT AIR helmet? I want one, but I'm reading conflicting reviews regarding noise and air flow. I'm a Arai and Shoei fan, only Shoei has internal visor.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

I have a Shoei Quest Passage red & black and the wind noise is so bad that if I ride for
    a hour or so one of my ears get sore from the wind noise,
    and yes I ride with a stock wind screen, so I wear a Bell Mag 9
    it is not to bad.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    (All my comments are based on riding other bikes with the windshield air directed at the top of my visor.)

I have the RF1100 and J-cruise. Both have the spring-loaded visor that pulls back against a gasket to seal when closed. That feature does help with noise.

Sometimes one needs to adjust it to seal correctly, but a coin is all you need to loosen-tighten the screws.

The vents on the RF1100 can be ~noisy~ when opened, especially the front. The top vent of the J-Cruise is less noisy.

The J Cruise came with removable foam 'ear-pads'. (RF1100 didn't) They also help reduce noise. I use a Sena SH-10 so speakers now occupy the ear-wells.

Internal visor,,, I wear prescription glasses with 'transition' lenses. I thought the flip down shield in the J wing would be useless. It does come in handy when riding into the sun. Also keeps a little sun off parts of your face. Optically correct and no issues with fitting over my specs,,,

I wish I could get a very light tinted visor for the Jcruise. Nothing but CLEAR available. (I guess they figure they already gave you all the tint you need! LOL!)

You mentioned Arai,,, It would be helpful if you would list the 'other' helmets you are considering. Maybe some one owns both the GT Air and ????

I won't buy a Arai this time because they don't make a lid with internal visor. GT AIR's claim to fame is high air flow, low noise, and is meant to be ridden level headed, not in a tuck. My buddy has RF1100, he loves it, but no internal visor. I hope to hear from someone who has one.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

I bought one about a month ago. Had an Icon before. Night and day difference.
    Internal visor works great and the quietest helmet I have ever owned. Airflow is great.
    Had the top vent closed the other day and I didn't know it. When I opened I feel feel the air coming in the helmet. Highly recommend.

The 1100 has the ~recently new but now old?~ internal passage way system of connecting the vents to yer skull. Sometimes the air has to change directions in the passageways,,,

The Jcruise system is virtually identical to the Air GT. Straight passages to and from yer skull. No real complaints with either on airflow. 1100 flow is a bit less noticeable, but distributed over a larger area. Jcruise has a 'stronger' flow feel, but mainly felt on the top.

No real complaints on flow with either. Just different.

I love Shoei helmets, but I can't get myself to drop the coin for a new one. I was looking at the GT Air but ended up getting the Scorpion EXO 500. Drop down sun visor is a must for me. I kind of regret not getting a modular but I guess I can get another one in the future.

Proper fit is critical.
    A good fit is better in the long run than a bad fitting high dollar helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrf13 View Post
    I bought one about a month ago. Had an Icon before. Night and day difference.
    Internal visor works great and the quietest helmet I have ever owned. Airflow is great.
    Had the top vent closed the other day and I didn't know it. When I opened I feel feel the air coming in the helmet. Highly recommend.
    That's what I wanted to hear. I have a decent 3/4 or I would get the j cruise. This will be my 7th helmet in 20 yrs of riding. I tried out Neo Tec modular last week, but just wasn't that impressed.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

I would also like to add that over the years I have looked at Shoei and Arai helmets.
    Always ended up buying the cheaper helmet because I thought 300 or 400 can't be worth it.
    My previous helmet was an Icon that cost 290. After wearing my GT Air for five minutes I realized I thru 290 in the trash. My Shoei was worth every penny.