New to the F6B/Goldwing - Intro

Thread: New to the F6B/Goldwing - Intro

New to the F6B/Goldwing - Intro

Hello all, just wanted to throw out a note and my experience with my first weekend with the F6B. I'm coming over from the NM4 forums, and bike, having finally received my M rating in June 2014 after riding dirt bikes for 24 of my 48 years. Dunno why I waited so long to ride on the road except to say traffic has only gotten worse. Anyway, I think I purchased a forum members bike from the looks of things. There is a Neil Hambly badge labeled F VI B NForcer with a Texas star logo in the center. Really great work by the way. I think it was RcBtx1999's bike. I bought it in Round Rock. Very well taken care of 2013 Deluxe model from what is on it. RcBtx1999, if you are out there, I'll be glad to pull the badges for you. I plan to have Mr Hambly cut a set of my own as soon as I hear he's back to doing them again.

Anyway, I have a 2 month nationwide cruise coming up with a friend of mine and decided to take it out for a run around. I spent the better part of 7+ hours on it and logged just under 500 miles. No stiffness, really happy with the way it handles, it's power and the seat is like a couch. I even had a jaunt of approx. 14 miles (not because I wanted to) on a dirt road and was surprised at how well it handled that. What I thought was just an old pavement rural route ended up becoming a weathered, heavily grooved truck path for roughnecks as I must have passed thirty or so wells and tanks along the way. When I got back home, the first thing I did was buy a good refurbished 660LM and it's coming. But I also think I may need a little more support on the back and possibly some pegs to stretch out a bit with.

Three questions...
    1. What seat is recommended?
    2. What highway pegs are recommended for long distance?
    3. Is there something you would recommend additionally to the F6B for continuous long distance riding that you may or may not already have on your own bike?

This upcoming trip will be in excess of 12K miles and pretty much goes through every state except Hawaii. (we're still on the fence about Alaska too considering the distance and weather in May. If we push our time out to July (and my friend is still capable of going), we could add Alaska without any concern.

Thanks for any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Hello all, just wanted to throw out a note and my experience with my first weekend with the F6B. I'm coming over from the NM4 forums, and bike, having finally received my M rating in June 2014 after riding dirt bikes for 24 of my 48 years. Dunno why I waited so long to ride on the road except to say traffic has only gotten worse. Anyway, I think I purchased a forum members bike from the looks of things. There is a Neil Hambly badge labeled F VI B NForcer with a Texas star logo in the center. Really great work by the way. I think it was RcBtx1999's bike. I bought it in Round Rock. Very well taken care of 2013 Deluxe model from what is on it. RcBtx1999, if you are out there, I'll be glad to pull the badges for you. I plan to have Mr Hambly cut a set of my own as soon as I hear he's back to doing them again.

Anyway, I have a 2 month nationwide cruise coming up with a friend of mine and decided to take it out for a run around. I spent the better part of 7+ hours on it and logged just under 500 miles. No stiffness, really happy with the way it handles, it's power and the seat is like a couch. I even had a jaunt of approx. 14 miles (not because I wanted to) on a dirt road and was surprised at how well it handled that. What I thought was just an old pavement rural route ended up becoming a weathered, heavily grooved truck path for roughnecks as I must have passed thirty or so wells and tanks along the way. When I got back home, the first thing I did was buy a good refurbished 660LM and it's coming. But I also think I may need a little more support on the back and possibly some pegs to stretch out a bit with.

Three questions...
    1. What seat is recommended?
    2. What highway pegs are recommended for long distance?
    3. Is there something you would recommend additionally to the F6B for continuous long distance riding that you may or may not already have on your own bike?

This upcoming trip will be in excess of 12K miles and pretty much goes through every state except Hawaii. (we're still on the fence about Alaska too considering the distance and weather in May. If we push our time out to July (and my friend is still capable of going), we could add Alaska without any concern.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Check the Ultimate Seat post by shooter just yesterday/today w/pictures.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Welcome.

I enjoy my Corbin, and I got it for a song basically. The Corbins are firm seats and are not everyone's cup of tea. I wasn't sure either from reading what others had said, but mine works for me. If I were starting from scratch or doing non stop Iron Butt rides , I'd seriously look at a RDL seat. (Russel Day Long)

As far as highway pegs, I like my Kuryakyn Ergo IIIs.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new scoot.

Kuryakyn Ergo III and Rivco pegs are popular. I went with the Ergo 3's for height and length adjustability. They are also spring loaded and rise up when you take your feet off.

Don't forget a good windshield if you don't already have one. MadStad is popular for getting rid of buffeting.

I used a pack (attached with ROK straps) for a backrest and strapped a CamelBak to the top of the backrest for hydration.

As others have stated, Ultimate and RDL are popular seats.

Have fun on your 2 month trip.

Attachment 19094

Not into rider pegs much so no comments on these...Depending on your height and weight, seats, windshields, are personal choices...I have the Mustang seat with the adjustable Baggershield windscreen which works great for me..You might want to consider the Kuryakyn cubby holder for a water bottle or ??...Nice to have on longer trips...Ride safe and enjoy the F6B....

I use Ergo 3 highway pegs as my pegs, mini floor boards is also a good addition. I would also get a belly pan if the bike doesn't already have one especially for the long trip you are about to go on.

welcome...I'll let the mileage guys answer the questions! (I have a cee bailey windshield and the rivco pegs in chrome)

I brought along a Drift camera. It's just like a Go Pro but a lot easier to handle when using. Comes with a remote button you can Velcro strap to the bars while having the camera mounted anywhere else on the bike. As well its a lot less conspicuous in the hand while filming off the bike (important if you want people to be less concious of it) I took along extra batteries and charger and cards, pretty much filmed every moment that I wanted to and in the weeks after I edited it down to just over twenty minutes, put music to it and now have it forever.
    https://youtu.be/S4pG7ATQ5I8

Looks like a great trip

Thanks for sharing