Your summer trips ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your summer trips ?

East Coast +.....

Both me and S/O retired this year, and she loves to ride (she looks at the scenery and writes memoirs in her head), I drive. Going to trailer the F6B to Sedona in a bit for 2 weeks of early sunshine. Then sometime in summer will do the annual trip to Ocean City/Cape May, probably this year via Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, Pocono's, Willow Grove, PA (have family there) Jersey Shore and then home via I-76, I-80 (across the totally boring northern parts of Ohio and Indiana) and then the death defying freeways of Chicago. Other rides to Door County, and possibly a Traverse City, Marquette, Green Bay and home Lake Michigan loop. Then the Rally in the Fall. Should be a full summer!

Long time riding buddy and I are going to take the bikes (he rides a CTX1300) on the Auto Train (to avoid 1000 miles each way on I-95) to Virginia. From there, into Washington, DC for the Memorial Day weekend Rolling Thunder / Ride-to-the-Wall. After that, a week or so bouncing around Pocono Mountains, Amish country, and up to Lake George, NY for Americade. Will hit Vermont for sure, and maybe a day or two in Canada. Then back to Florida. We've done several prior trips of 3,500 - 4,000 miles and really looking forward to this one.
    2016 GL1800 F6B-D
    IBA Member since Y2K
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

My big trip is getting to the rally and back. First leg is two 600 mile days back to back, then the third day is another 350 or so. Sounds like an easy 4,000 mile week for me, if the weather is good to us. Have to get in riding condition this summer. A ton of miles planned. Easily the most I'll do in a season for up here. I did 10,000 a year on my M109. Have 2,100 on it already and it's winter.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Mine is 12 years younger, works at an old folks home, I tell her it is good training for taking care of me. I have trained her well, a coup[le of years ago I had permission to go to Jamaica a few years ago, by myself.
    That could be dangerous, everybody has a cell phone now and it's on the Internet in 60 seconds.
    I want to try Interstate 90 to CA. picking up Int. 5 south in Washington State. (Previous statement issued to abide by the non-hijacking thread rule CTR. 510.65)

Retirment set for me sometime in mid April....gotta go get a hernia done on the companys dime first....Then many road trips to southern Ohio, Thats the S/O favorite place to ride.....Heading to the smokies with the guys in July....Good thing the S/O doesn't care if I take road trips with the guys as long as she gets her short weekend trips in....all is good..!

Something to see

Quote Originally Posted by Jhox View Post
    Long time riding buddy and I are going to take the bikes (he rides a CTX1300) on the Auto Train (to avoid 1000 miles each way on I-95) to Virginia. From there, into Washington, DC for the Memorial Day weekend Rolling Thunder / Ride-to-the-Wall. After that, a week or so bouncing around Pocono Mountains, Amish country, and up to Lake George, NY for Americade. Will hit Vermont for sure, and maybe a day or two in Canada. Then back to Florida. We've done several prior trips of 3,500 - 4,000 miles and really looking forward to this one.
    if you are a history buff, in addition to many other historical sites in and around Amish country in PA is a restored Iron Forge called Hopewell Furnace. Most of the buildings have been restored. It a National Historic site, and is located just south of Birdsboro Pa near French Creek State Park. That area, Berks and Bucks county north and west of Phila is loaded with history. Also New Hope, on the Delaware just north of Washington's Crossing. At any rate, sounds like a great time and a wonderful trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    if you are a history buff, in addition to many other historical sites in and around Amish country in PA is a restored Iron Forge called Hopewell Furnace. Most of the buildings have been restored. It a National Historic site, and is located just south of Birdsboro Pa near French Creek State Park. That area, Berks and Bucks county north and west of Phila is loaded with history. Also New Hope, on the Delaware just north of Washington's Crossing. At any rate, sounds like a great time and a wonderful trip.
    Yes, I used to live near Philadelphia so I have seen some, but not all, of those areas. Thanks for the suggestions.
    2016 GL1800 F6B-D
    IBA Member since Y2K
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    I'm riding to Denver in June for a wedding at Rocky Mountain National Park. I can't stinkin' wait.
    Enjoy the mountains, but bring some warm gear. I crossed Rocky Mtn National park in the 1st week of August- in 2005, and had 2 inches of snow at the top. It was not fun. Hope you have better weather!

I'm riding to Chico Hot Springs MT in early June for a wedding. Have thoughts of making my way to Nashville in August. More later...

Quote Originally Posted by carpdm View Post
    I'm riding to Chico Hot Springs MT in early June for a wedding. Have thoughts of making my way to Nashville in August. More later...
    Being some what of a fan of modern country, I have heard that Nashville's music row is supposed to be a lot of fun, want to get their this year.