LED Signal & Tail light upgrades/smart triple play
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Signal & Tail light upgrades/smart triple play

LED Signal & Tail light upgrades/smart triple play

One of the things I really miss about my vtwin was simply being able to be heard around town. So because of how quiet the F6B is, I decided that it was really important to upgraded the lighting when I first bought it. It came with the Back Off module which made the tail lights flash a few times which wasn't enough for me at all. Its still in great shape and a really good thing to have so if someone wants it, I would be glad to ship it to you for the cost of shipping.

My bike already came with white accent lights all over and under the bike along with the 960 driving lights and hid low beams which was a good start up front. I upgraded the front mirror lenses to the smoked lenses(I hate amber lol) and replaced the amber bulbs with some 10W 7443 led 6000k lights I bought on ebay for $15 a set. They always run and cycle off and on when the signal is activated. Looks really clean and unifies the lights up front which are all really bright. I also ordered the electronic flasher from SoCal MotoGear which corrected the fast flashing because of the leds.

http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-...R-p/gl88nc.htm

In the rear, I felt there wasn't enough light from the 2 incandescent tail light bulbs so I bought a set of 4 red 7443 led lights @ 1000 lumens per bulb. The set of 4 was $35 on ebay. I replaced the 2 rear turn signal bulbs from amber to red along with the other 2 red leds going to the tail lights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191793203065...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I then added the universal smart triple play from custom dynamics which will allow all 4 red leds to run and brake while still allowing the 2 outside lights to retain the turn functions simultaneously. There are also about 10 different braking patterns you can choose from, some of which strobe while braking which I like, and you can even set the brightness of the turn signal lights to match the brightness of the tail lights.

http://www.customdynamics.com/tailconversion_kit.htm

I really love the look and the brightness of the whole package. When you are braking in the day time or at night, you have probably 10X more viability and the strobe really catches the attention of the cars coming up behind you which for me is really important.

They say "Loud Pipes Save Lives" which I think is true. Because I don't have that anymore, the added lights and strobe effects definitely make me feel a lot safer and much more visible in all conditions. I have attached a couple short videos of the tail lights before and after below, and some pics of the bike with the lights. I will also attach a video which shows the full range of adjustment and setting from the smart triple play(on a harley but same thing applies). Hopefully this can help someone else and for a total cost of $220 for the whole set up between the 4 led turn signals, smoked lenses up front, led tail lights, electronic flasher, and control module. I think you get alot more for your money in comparison to some other set ups I have seen online from other companies.

Video stock

Video after mods

Triple Play Full function example (on harley)
    https://youtu.be/vcvsKf9jj5M

pics of my ride

20160216_180821.jpg20160216_180752.jpg

20160210_050542.jpg20160212_183654.jpg

20160211_191545.jpg

Thanks for posting this info. Where did you locate the Smart Triple Play? Did it come with posi taps or did you have to buy them separately? I was leaning towards SoCalMotoGear's setup; but, I like the idea of 4 LEDS lit up all the time for the rear.

Was Custom Dynamics wire color codes accurate for the F6B?
    Nice write up.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

Nice Mods!

If no one has asked yet, Id like to try that Back Off Module...Send me a PM and I'll send you the $$....Thanks!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Thanks for posting this info. Where did you locate the Smart Triple Play? Did it come with posi taps or did you have to buy them separately? I was leaning towards SoCalMotoGear's setup; but, I like the idea of 4 LEDS lit up all the time for the rear.

Was Custom Dynamics wire color codes accurate for the F6B?
    Nice write up.
    I actually bought mine on ebay from a custom dynamics authorized dealer but you can order directly from them with no problem also. I did get the posi-tap and posi-lock that I need to complete the install which makes it pretty easy for sure even if your not that good at electrical stuff.

The color codes are spot on, I actually connected mine to the harness when the tail light comes out of the bike so that if I wanted to change the settings I could by just removing the tail light instead of taking off the hand rails and seat. I also could have mounted it somewhere under the right side or left side cover but I was unsure if I could get to the necessary wires from there.

The only deviation from the instructions was to connect the blue and orange wires coming from the triple play to the wire that powers the 12V accessory socket when the bike is turned on. The triple play needs to see 12 volts for these 2 wires and because of the canbus system you can get that from the running lights like the instructions say.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Kdarmy View Post
    Nice Mods!

If no one has asked yet, Id like to try that Back Off Module...Send me a PM and I'll send you the $$....Thanks!

Keith
    Sending pw right now keith!

Hey there, the triple play specifies that the turn signal lights need to be "single intensity" lamps. These lamps you obtained, are all four the same or are two different from the other two. The picture indicates that all four are the same but the description seems to indicate two different types.

Quote Originally Posted by Hdnvn View Post
    Hey there, the triple play specifies that the turn signal lights need to be "single intensity" lamps. These lamps you obtained, are all four the same or are two different from the other two. The picture indicates that all four are the same but the description seems to indicate two different types.
    All 4 of the bulbs are the same actually. I bought all 4 from ebay for like $35 I think. plug and play. You might have to flip the bulbs around to find which way makes contact but other than that it was really easy. All 4 red led bulbs are the same 7443 bulbs.

I just trusted your post and ordered up your links. Received both items (lamps, triple play) and am in midstream with installation. The LEDs are super bright man, hurts the eyes to stare directly at them. Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Hdnvn View Post
    I just trusted your post and ordered up your links. Received both items (lamps, triple play) and am in midstream with installation. The LEDs are super bright man, hurts the eyes to stare directly at them. Thanks for the reply
    No problem bud. If you have any questions just pm me and I can text you and I can help with the install

Installed and working awesome. I added one light to each turn signal section and wired to the light next to it making a total of six lights in the rear. I cannot imagine anyone NOT seeing my ass end especially with the entire row lighting up even brighter when braking. I programmed the center section to flash four times when applying brakes but the turn signal sections brighten as well. It's a really good system, I'm pleasantly surprised at how all the lighting matches even though we have the clear/red lenses. When lit if all looks uniform. As well the LEDs recommended by the post are a very good choice. Bright red and yes, they all were the same. Thanks for guidance, this is the way to go