Tired of "belonging"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of "belonging"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

fastest

I'm with Kipling. ..."Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne, He travels the fastest who travels alone".
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Over the years I have ridden with different clubs, and or groups with common interest. I found that the key was not to get rapped up in the "BS" of the politics or who is quarreling with who. I call up and say who wants to ride...you show up or don't, the kick stand goes up at a certain time and unless you called to say running late be there in a sec, I'm out...I had a royal star venture before my F6B. Yamaha had the "Star Club" not an official group (per say) but if you went somewhere and saw the patch, you'd say hi and smile knowing....just like this group...eventually I will run into one of you(and I will be looking at all F6Bs. lol) just to wave or nod and smile. so if you see me going by or stopped, feel free to say hello.

The Kokomo American Legion Riders hosted riding events to raise $3,000 to donate to building housing to accommodate 200 homeless veterans. Group riding with a porpoise and image enhancement of motorcycle riders. Group riding is not everyone's cup of tea. The common denominator with Legion Riders is members are vets and their sons and daughters. Group riding tends to raise the bar of situational awareness and risk management.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Truly Blessed

Attachment 19368

I am sincerely grateful to my parents because I have been riding with my younger brothers for forty years. This photo was taken yesterday and I think Bud's jacket says it all.

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    The Kokomo American Legion Riders hosted riding events to raise $3,000 to donate to building housing to accommodate 200 homeless veterans. Group riding with a porpoise and image enhancement of motorcycle riders. Group riding is not everyone's cup of tea. The common denominator with Legion Riders is members are vets and their sons and daughters. Group riding tends to raise the bar of situational awareness and risk management.
    I ride a lot with the three ALR groups that are closest to me. They are amazing, but in my opinion, it's because of their directors. All three of these groups do amazing things for veterans.

I have ridden with and belong to the same club since 1977 and we still have a good time together, we are one of the oldest club
    out there Tulsa Big Wheels M/C.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    53 , you must really like those In&Out burgers. Never had one. We don't have that around here. What makes them so special.
    Everything is fresh. It's like 5 Guys but more of a fast food concept with a drive thru. No preservatives, no MSG. Just good eats at good prices.
    They are all original family owned - as in if you ain't somehow part of that family, you ain't getting a franchise. That's how Quality is maintained.
    None are east of the Mississippi yet.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Speed of digestion perhaps?
    Well, I'm sure there's a bit of that going on, but at our station in life, sometimes "upping the voltage" on routine processing is a good thing.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Amen, gentlemen. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    I was heading out last week on a perfect early spring day and ran into one of my neighbors who was busy washing and polishing his Harley three wheeler. The first thing he asked me was, "are you going on the up coming Legion ride"?
    I asked him where they were going. His response was just around the county. I've been there done that. In a quick flashback, I remembered a bunch of weekend riders who are content to ride in circles with no destination. They didn't ride at a steady speed. They usually were running up a tailpipe and then hitting the brakes and again speeding up to hit the brakes again. It really wasn't my idea of fun. So I guess I'm not a real be-longer either.

However, I do like too ride with a group that has destinations in mind. For example, I'm currently putting a ride together on this site called "NE meet and greet"(look under forum planned trips.. all are welcome).
    My plan is to meet up at a well known PA welcome center on I-84. There I will hand out a paper itinerary listing the destinations, approx. miles and planned routes to points of interest in the area. A mountain water fall will be the first stop approx. 30 miles from the starting point, where we will have a planned stop to view the fall and give everybody a chance to catch up; planned 15 minute stop. This way everybody can travel at their own speed and stop and linger and BS where they want. There will be suggested departure times from each stop and a planned lunch break at a favored Bakery 45 min to 1 hr stop. Eat fast or eat at your leisure depart when you want. You know the next stop the distance and how to get there.
    Maybe I am a be-longer as long as I can do it at my speed, see something interesting, and eat well. Sometimes I even enjoy the BS along the way.

PS. I have noticed no one from near by NJ has committed yet. I guess that's because they charge you to get out of that state
    You know Bob , you mentioned one of my biggest beefs with guys I ride with. They don't want to go anywhere. 100 miles is way too long for them. I like to see new areas and maybe get a bite at a local eatery that's not local for me. To do that you have to.leave the county you're in. For me a good day is 250 miles plus. Doesn't have to be that long but a lot of times it is. I usually try to do some research so that I see the "best" roads and scenery. Eatery's are never planned. Usually a diner of sorts. I like to ride. And not 20 miles to the next bar.
    When one has a bike that the "norm" is 450+ miles in two tankfuls, rock it!
    When one has wanderlust, but also happens to have "civil responsibilities" - this is the best solution.
    Bar hopping inside 100 miles is a "fail."
    Going to a "chain" eating or drinking establishment (unless it's In & Out Burger) is a fail.
    Finding a "new" road is a win.
    Patronizing regional eateries on new roads is a win.
    Asking the wait staff "What can I get here that I can't get anywhere else?" then receiving a smile and an honest answer at that regional establishment is the culmination of a win.
    I have never belonged.
    Never will.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    When one has a bike that the "norm" is 450+ miles in two tankfuls, rock it!
    When one has wanderlust, but also happens to have "civil responsibilities" - this is the best solution.
    Bar hopping inside 100 miles is a "fail."
    Going to a "chain" eating or drinking establishment (unless it's In & Out Burger) is a fail.
    Finding a "new" road is a win.
    Patronizing regional eateries on new roads is a win.
    Asking the wait staff "What can I get here that I can't get anywhere else?" then receiving a smile and an honest answer at that regional establishment is the culmination of a win.
    I have never belonged.
    Never will.
    53 , you must really like those In&Out burgers. Never had one. We don't have that around here. What makes them so special.

Speed of digestion perhaps?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537