Tired of "belonging" - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tired of "belonging"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    shooter
    I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to riding with my big club at Russellville. Its gonna be huge!!! Like Thunder on the Mountain!!! Well......... maybe not like Thunder , maybe like a soft rain. We ain't loud but we're proud!!!!!

Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Just have had it tonight. Enough. Tired of being in a club where the expectations don't materialize. VFW, American Legion, etc... organizations that I have joined and see the true designs of the local "brethren" of the posts that I belong to.

Almost "effed" someone up tonight but my inner being told me to walk away. I did just that. It was hard and but I did it. I will not be "chit" upon... I'm not going to go into details of what happened... but I am actually amazed that I had tolerated what occurred tonight. Maybe old age and sanity are finally kicking in.

I don't display "colors" and have never really went for that. But recently I decided to wear a patch of a local veteran's rider's organization and now I am going to rip it off. It just isn't working for me.

I'm "Lone Wolf'ing" it again. It's the best solace that I can find, and am seemingly comfortable with. Enjoyed the last F6B rally in Franklin N.C and will attend this year's Russelville's Rally. Everyone is unique and contributes. Without an ulterior agenda...

Tell me about your memberships in local motorcycle organizations. The one that I just exorcised myself from tonight; is more interested in fund raising; than riding.
    Will,

I left Legion Riders because they were more interested in doing meals for everyone else than ride anywhere. Post 180 in Milwaukie, OR. will do 2-3 meals a month, wanting riders to volunteer to serve, cook, clean, etc. The only ride they schedule is a group grope to the ocean, ONCE a year. After that, you are lucky to see of more than 2-3 riders come with their bikes! I am with you on joining clubs. I join to ride and have fun doing it. Not to be a busboy or a waiter. I left that outfit and moved on. Right now, there are about 7 F6B riders in the greater Portland, OR. area and we got together on this forum and have started doing rides together. Maybe meet for breakfast and then ride or ride and stop somewhere down the road for lunch. No commitments just making riding the bikes as the priority. So far it is working very nicely. Bunch of great guys I have met here.
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68

shooter
    Chuck that sounds like a good group. Some of the guys I ride with their priority is finding a place to stop and get a beer. I don't mind a guy drinking a beer but for me I like to ride. RTE is a good concept as long as their is a good ride involved. Sounds like you have a good thing going.

I was heading out last week on a perfect early spring day and ran into one of my neighbors who was busy washing and polishing his Harley three wheeler. The first thing he asked me was, "are you going on the up coming Legion ride"?
    I asked him where they were going. His response was just around the county. I've been there done that. In a quick flashback, I remembered a bunch of weekend riders who are content to ride in circles with no destination. They didn't ride at a steady speed. They usually were running up a tailpipe and then hitting the brakes and again speeding up to hit the brakes again. It really wasn't my idea of fun. So I guess I'm not a real be-longer either.

However, I do like too ride with a group that has destinations in mind. For example, I'm currently putting a ride together on this site called "NE meet and greet"(look under forum planned trips.. all are welcome).
    My plan is to meet up at a well known PA welcome center on I-84. There I will hand out a paper itinerary listing the destinations, approx. miles and planned routes to points of interest in the area. A mountain water fall will be the first stop approx. 30 miles from the starting point, where we will have a planned stop to view the fall and give everybody a chance to catch up; planned 15 minute stop. This way everybody can travel at their own speed and stop and linger and BS where they want. There will be suggested departure times from each stop and a planned lunch break at a favored Bakery 45 min to 1 hr stop. Eat fast or eat at your leisure depart when you want. You know the next stop the distance and how to get there.
    Maybe I am a be-longer as long as I can do it at my speed, see something interesting, and eat well. Sometimes I even enjoy the BS along the way.

PS. I have noticed no one from near by NJ has committed yet. I guess that's because they charge you to get out of that state

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    I was heading out last week on a perfect early spring day and ran into one of my neighbors who was busy washing and polishing his Harley three wheeler. The first thing he asked me was, "are you going on the up coming Legion ride"?
    I asked him where they were going. His response was just around the county. I've been there done that. In a quick flashback, I remembered a bunch of weekend riders who are content to ride in circles with no destination. They didn't ride at a steady speed. They usually were running up a tailpipe and then hitting the brakes and again speeding up to hit the brakes again. It really wasn't my idea of fun. So I guess I'm not a real be-longer either.

However, I do like too ride with a group that has destinations in mind. For example, I'm currently putting a ride together on this site called "NE meet and greet"(look under forum planned trips.. all are welcome).
    My plan is to meet up at a well known PA welcome center on I-84. There I will hand out a paper itinerary listing the destinations, approx. miles and planned routes to points of interest in the area. A mountain water fall will be the first stop approx. 30 miles from the starting point, where we will have a planned stop to view the fall and give everybody a chance to catch up; planned 15 minute stop. This way everybody can travel at their own speed and stop and linger and BS where they want. There will be suggested departure times from each stop and a planned lunch break at a favored Bakery 45 min to 1 hr stop. Eat fast or eat at your leisure depart when you want. You know the next stop the distance and how to get there.
    Maybe I am a be-longer as long as I can do it at my speed, see something interesting, and eat well. Sometimes I even enjoy the BS along the way.

PS. I have noticed no one from near by NJ has committed yet. I guess that's because they charge you to get out of that state
    You know Bob , you mentioned one of my biggest beefs with guys I ride with. They don't want to go anywhere. 100 miles is way too long for them. I like to see new areas and maybe get a bite at a local eatery that's not local for me. To do that you have to.leave the county you're in. For me a good day is 250 miles plus. Doesn't have to be that long but a lot of times it is. I usually try to do some research so that I see the "best" roads and scenery. Eatery's are never planned. Usually a diner of sorts. I like to ride. And not 20 miles to the next bar.