Tired of "belonging" - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Tired of "belonging"

I was heading out last week on a perfect early spring day and ran into one of my neighbors who was busy washing and polishing his Harley three wheeler. The first thing he asked me was, "are you going on the up coming Legion ride"?
    I asked him where they were going. His response was just around the county. I've been there done that. In a quick flashback, I remembered a bunch of weekend riders who are content to ride in circles with no destination. They didn't ride at a steady speed. They usually were running up a tailpipe and then hitting the brakes and again speeding up to hit the brakes again. It really wasn't my idea of fun. So I guess I'm not a real be-longer either.

However, I do like too ride with a group that has destinations in mind. For example, I'm currently putting a ride together on this site called "NE meet and greet"(look under forum planned trips.. all are welcome).
    My plan is to meet up at a well known PA welcome center on I-84. There I will hand out a paper itinerary listing the destinations, approx. miles and planned routes to points of interest in the area. A mountain water fall will be the first stop approx. 30 miles from the starting point, where we will have a planned stop to view the fall and give everybody a chance to catch up; planned 15 minute stop. This way everybody can travel at their own speed and stop and linger and BS where they want. There will be suggested departure times from each stop and a planned lunch break at a favored Bakery 45 min to 1 hr stop. Eat fast or eat at your leisure depart when you want. You know the next stop the distance and how to get there.
    Maybe I am a be-longer as long as I can do it at my speed, see something interesting, and eat well. Sometimes I even enjoy the BS along the way.

PS. I have noticed no one from near by NJ has committed yet. I guess that's because they charge you to get out of that state

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    I too ride solo most of the time. Once in a while I will ride with my son. There's nothing like a nice ride and friendly conversation with a stranger at breakfast. I've met some pretty cool people while riding solo. Frankly I never felt I belonged, anywhere.....
    This is me!!

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    I was heading out last week on a perfect early spring day and ran into one of my neighbors who was busy washing and polishing his Harley three wheeler. The first thing he asked me was, "are you going on the up coming Legion ride"?
    I asked him where they were going. His response was just around the county. I've been there done that. In a quick flashback, I remembered a bunch of weekend riders who are content to ride in circles with no destination. They didn't ride at a steady speed. They usually were running up a tailpipe and then hitting the brakes and again speeding up to hit the brakes again. It really wasn't my idea of fun. So I guess I'm not a real be-longer either.

However, I do like too ride with a group that has destinations in mind. For example, I'm currently putting a ride together on this site called "NE meet and greet"(look under forum planned trips.. all are welcome).
    My plan is to meet up at a well known PA welcome center on I-84. There I will hand out a paper itinerary listing the destinations, approx. miles and planned routes to points of interest in the area. A mountain water fall will be the first stop approx. 30 miles from the starting point, where we will have a planned stop to view the fall and give everybody a chance to catch up; planned 15 minute stop. This way everybody can travel at their own speed and stop and linger and BS where they want. There will be suggested departure times from each stop and a planned lunch break at a favored Bakery 45 min to 1 hr stop. Eat fast or eat at your leisure depart when you want. You know the next stop the distance and how to get there.
    Maybe I am a be-longer as long as I can do it at my speed, see something interesting, and eat well. Sometimes I even enjoy the BS along the way.

PS. I have noticed no one from near by NJ has committed yet. I guess that's because they charge you to get out of that state
    You know Bob , you mentioned one of my biggest beefs with guys I ride with. They don't want to go anywhere. 100 miles is way too long for them. I like to see new areas and maybe get a bite at a local eatery that's not local for me. To do that you have to.leave the county you're in. For me a good day is 250 miles plus. Doesn't have to be that long but a lot of times it is. I usually try to do some research so that I see the "best" roads and scenery. Eatery's are never planned. Usually a diner of sorts. I like to ride. And not 20 miles to the next bar.

Amen, gentlemen. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    You know Bob , you mentioned one of my biggest beefs with guys I ride with. They don't want to go anywhere. 100 miles is way too long for them. I like to see new areas and maybe get a bite at a local eatery that's not local for me. To do that you have to.leave the county you're in. For me a good day is 250 miles plus. Doesn't have to be that long but a lot of times it is. I usually try to do some research so that I see the "best" roads and scenery. Eatery's are never planned. Usually a diner of sorts. I like to ride. And not 20 miles to the next bar.
    When one has a bike that the "norm" is 450+ miles in two tankfuls, rock it!
    When one has wanderlust, but also happens to have "civil responsibilities" - this is the best solution.
    Bar hopping inside 100 miles is a "fail."
    Going to a "chain" eating or drinking establishment (unless it's In & Out Burger) is a fail.
    Finding a "new" road is a win.
    Patronizing regional eateries on new roads is a win.
    Asking the wait staff "What can I get here that I can't get anywhere else?" then receiving a smile and an honest answer at that regional establishment is the culmination of a win.
    I have never belonged.
    Never will.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

my 2 cents or maybe just venting, lol

I am new to this forum but I am finding it enjoyable and full of excellent info. I just sold my 08 Goldwing for a 2016 F6B Deluxe and can't wait to pick it up this week. Back to the point at hand. I had rode "lone wolf" for most of my life until I came across a Legion Rider group that I really "clicked" with. I have been nominated up through the ranks to President and have been nominated for "going on" my 4th year. I am also VP of a local PA ABATE chapter. I have been and still am proud of being nominated and our membership is larger this year than it has ever been before. HOWEVER for those of you thinking about starting or joining a group here is the good, the bad and the ugly from my opinion from the last 7 years of being involved in groups. First of all I am not in and never have been in an MC so my opinion does not pertain to them. The best part of joining a group you can form friendships with people that will last a lifetime! I now have friends that I call my Brothers and Sisters and will remain so whether I ride with a group or not. We raise, what I consider, a considerable amount of money each year for veterans and local charities that will very much appreciate what we (or you) do to help and that gives me a good feeling about myself. HOWEVER, I don't care how many members you have, how much you plan, and what your members say, if you have 50 or 500 members....5 to 10 will show up to help, period! Some people are drama plain and simple! You will know these people by many signs such as comments they make like "I hate dramatic people" or "I can't stand drama" you will also notice they do the most complaining with the fewest suggestions of rectifying problems. Also there are some people I have found I just do not like riding with and you can fill in any and whatever reason you want to here because you will have a list at some point. You start doing rides because you feel your expected to be there (many time this is self imposed) and it's not that you may have done the ride if you were a lone wolf however it is just not as fun doing them. If you happen to be one of the "doers" I would like to thank you because I understand that your volunteering your time because you care. My wife has started riding her own bike and just bought a new Honda 2014 Interstate (yes it is still new) and I am more and more thinking I would rather just her and I ride with a few close friends and have fun!?!?
    2008 Harley Davidson Street Bob
    2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
    I'm never lost however I do get misplaced from time to time

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    When one has a bike that the "norm" is 450+ miles in two tankfuls, rock it!
    When one has wanderlust, but also happens to have "civil responsibilities" - this is the best solution.
    Bar hopping inside 100 miles is a "fail."
    Going to a "chain" eating or drinking establishment (unless it's In & Out Burger) is a fail.
    Finding a "new" road is a win.
    Patronizing regional eateries on new roads is a win.
    Asking the wait staff "What can I get here that I can't get anywhere else?" then receiving a smile and an honest answer at that regional establishment is the culmination of a win.
    I have never belonged.
    Never will.
    53 , you must really like those In&Out burgers. Never had one. We don't have that around here. What makes them so special.

53 , you must really like those In&Out burgers. Never had one. We don't have that around here. What makes them so special.
    Speed of digestion perhaps?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

shooter
    That's good Will.

Everything is fresh. It's like 5 Guys but more of a fast food concept with a drive thru. No preservatives, no MSG. Just good eats at good prices.
    They are all original family owned - as in if you ain't somehow part of that family, you ain't getting a franchise. That's how Quality is maintained.
    None are east of the Mississippi yet.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Speed of digestion perhaps?
    Well, I'm sure there's a bit of that going on, but at our station in life, sometimes "upping the voltage" on routine processing is a good thing.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce